CoinPeople.com

Aeolis

Ian

I've been trying to get hold of one of these for over a decade now. Finally one came up on a European auction at a reasonable price and at a time when I could squeeze my budget. I'll be living on sawdust for some time to come though....

This coin circa 197 - 165 bc. Apollo laureate obverse with statue of Apollo Gryneus reverse holding lustral branch and phiale. Omphalos and amphora at his feet. MYPINAIOI in left field alongside monogram

992441.jpg

Lovely! How does rarity work in the ancient coin world?

I think the system in play currently ranges from `common as muck' all the way through the various shades of grey to `scarcer than hen's teeth'. :)

Seriously though, I haven't much of a clue when it comes to `relative scarcity' vs `value' other than that the two are definitely not synonymous with each other.

I think in respect of ancient greek coins, the aesthetic values tend to be the key driver. In terms of Roman coins, the coinage of some Emperors are few and far between, which means that people trying to get a `set' together of all the Roman Emperors is going to be in alongside some hefty competition for what I consider to be relatively duff looking coins.

There is no accounting forcollecting tastes (mine included!)........ :) My bad?

Ian

Rarity is a factor with high demand coins like Syracuse, Athens etc, but not so much with some really not well known, not well documented coins like those from the northern Black Sea region. Not that I mind that I can find some coins occasionally that are much scarcer than their well known cousins for a mere fraction of the price.

• 11 months later...

In my ongoing search for jetons, I came across this item described as a`medal' by the seller. It is in fact a silver tetradrachm from Myrina. Unfortunately it has been `brooched'. That is, it was at one time transformed into a jewelery piece,with resultant damage to the reverse. It is still very collectable however, and one of my cheapest ever ancient coin purchases.

1006613.jpg