CoinPeople.com

UBS Switzerland discontinuing numismatics services

bobh

This might be of special interest to Russian coin collectors and dealers who have dealt with UBS auctions in the past:

UBS Switzerland discontinuing numismatics services (link to my thread on the World Coins forum)

There were a few fake Russian coins sold in recent auctions ... wonder if this had anything to do with their decision?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This might be of special interest to Russian coin collectors and dealers who have dealt with UBS auctions in the past:

UBS Switzerland discontinuing numismatics services (link to my thread on the World Coins forum)

There were a few fake Russian coins sold in recent auctions ... wonder if this had anything to do with their decision?

*a (UBS?)correspondent on russian forum informed that UBS numismatic just left UBS firm on its own and will continue provide numismatic servises but again out of UBS firm, only

*secondly, regarding a letter posted here, it does confirm that UBS numismatic just out of UBS firm and joined with Sincona Swiss International Coin Auction AG, which is OK with me, IMXO

*so far there are no information that UBS numismatic is out because of selling fake samples, IMXO

there are others financinal issues but not numismatics

• 2 weeks later...

I received a letter from UBS today stating that they are out of numismatics as of April 30th.

For their own numismatic needs they will be using Sioncona AG.

The first auction by Sincona will be from June 29th to July 1.

Next two catalogs will be mailed to the existing UBS clients.

Inquiries to info@sincona.com +41 (0) 44 215 10 90

I received a letter from UBS today stating that they are out of numismatics as of April 30th.

For their own numismatic needs they will be using Sioncona AG.

The first auction by Sincona will be from June 29th to July 1.

Next two catalogs will be mailed to the existing UBS clients.

Inquiries to info@sincona.com +41 (0) 44 215 10 90

the correspondent from staray moneta says that first auction is going to be in september or i missed something from him?

the correspondent from staray moneta says that first auction is going to be in september or i missed something from him?

BTW, I received a letter from UBS today too :)

• 2 weeks later...

Auction Preview SINCONA 1

SINCONA AG’s first auction comprises 2826 lots with a total estimation of c. CHF 4,5 Mio. It will be held in the Hotel Savoy-Baur en Ville, Poststrasse 12, Zurich from June 29 to July 1.

The auction starts with a group of Ancients (253 lots) with a number of interesting aurei (lots 85 and 91 for example), as well as a group of late Roman and Byzantine gold coins.

Albania follows with several patterns and then Belgium, Bulgaria and Denmark. Germany includes 362 lots in which larger series of “Reichsgold” will be found. Single important pieces that should be mentioned are: the double ducat of Hessen-Kassel (613), and the gold strike of Lübeck (620).

Finland follows with a small group of banknotes. In the French section, a prominent piece is the pattern-5 francs of 1834 in gold (982). Greece presents the 100 drachms of 1876 (1037), 100 and 20 drachms of 1935 (1042, 1043). Great Britain follows with pattern sovereigns of 1837 and 1866 (1064, 1065).

The Italian section contains 168 lots, included are 100 lire 1872, 1903, 1912 (1115, 1119, 1123). Montenegro is present with both types of the 100 perpera 1910 (1328, 1331, 1332. The Netherlands have beautiful specimens of the 20, 10 and 5 gulden 1848 and 1850. This leads on to Holy Roman Empire/Austria with an attractive series of gold coins of Franz Joseph I, as well as several important individual pieces such as (1414, 1416, 1424 and 1430).

Rumania contains the series of 1906, 1922, 1939 and 1940, followed by Russia with 91 lots. Here are a number of spectacular individual pieces (1600, 1605, 1609, 1614, 1624, 1635, 1636, 1637, 1643).

Switzerland is represented by 588 lots with several rare cantonal as well as federal coins (1712, 1727, 1746, 1752,1755, 1777, 1858,1879, 1932, 1937, 1975, 1991,2013, 2112, 2113, 2114). Hungary offers a series of goldgulden and ducats, as well as coins from 1919 to 1944. Transylvania has a 10 ducat 1621 and a double taler 1629, 10 ducat 1670 and several single ducats.

Africa, America and Asia contain series of modern gold coins, but also rarities such as the South Africa pond 1874 (2553), an Iranian series and an 8 baht from Thailand (3430). Australia closes the auction.

Further information may be found under www.sincona.com

• 2 weeks later...

The russian part of the auction 1, translated into russian, could be viewed and downloaded under http://sincona.com/

There are 2 variants - the text only and the text together with the pictures of 28 most interesting coins. Also you could find there the sale information (the timetable etc.) of the auction and the conditions of sale, both translated into russian.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting to see how many lots were left unsold -- also a fair amount of stuff was withdrawn. :confus:

Even one of the donative gold coins didn't sell (37-1/2 roubles), although the estimate was lower than many of the prices recently achieved for this type at other auctions. One of the 3 rouble platinum coins and a lot of the Nicholas I gold didn't sell. Were there perhaps some fakes here which should have been withdrawn?

There was similar action (or lack of it) in the USA section.

• 2 months later...

"collection was formed in the years 1960-1980"

do yuo have any more provenance on this collection, from whom, what city :confus:

:shock: Does this mean that these coins all came from a single collection? :swoon:

There are some additional consignors of corse, but not as big and not so important as the old collection.

For example 3 roubles 1882 from renaissance collection did not origin from that old collection, but such coin would not be ignored too. :doh:

If you would ask SINCONA such question, the answer would surely be "No comments".

I appreceiate the sales where the history and biogrpahy of collection is given, including a photos. For example, Antonin Prokop collection by Aurea, Heiberg by Gorny, Cruz by same Gorny, few of Dr Hesselgesser by Goldberg, etc.

"No comments" means to me no respect to the prospective buyers, IMXO

I appreceiate the sales where the history and biogrpahy of collection is given, including a photos. For example, Antonin Prokop collection by Aurea, Heiberg by Gorny, Cruz by same Gorny, few of Dr Hesselgesser by Goldberg, etc.

"No comments" means to me no respect to the prospective buyers, IMXO

The auction company would be happy to give the name of the consignor, but the consignor or his heirs have the right of privacy.