thedeadpoint

PCI 2011 Ideas  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Idea #1 - Brackets by coin materials

• Yes - with Idea #2 as the sub-category
    • Yes - with last year's categories as the sub-categories
    • Yes - no sub-categories
    • Yes - other (please describe below)
    • Yes, but as a sub-category (i.e. For the category 1800-1899, the coins will be broken up by material)
    • No - don't use this breakdown at all
  2. 2. Idea #2 - Brackets by continent

• Yes - with Idea #1 as the sub-category
    • Yes - with last year's categories as the sub-categories
    • Yes - no sub-categories
    • Yes - other (please describe below)
    • Yes, but as a sub-category (i.e. For the category 1800-1899, the coins will be broken up by continent)
    • No - don't use this breakdown at all
  3. 3. How should we breakdown all the entrants?

• Idea #1 - with subcategories as decided in Question #1
    • Idea #2 - with subcategories as decided in Question #2
    • Default - just keep to last year's breakdown
    • Random - no order whatsoever. Just randomize the matchups.
    • Other (please describe below)

Hello Coinpeople,

I've volunteered to run this year's Popular Coin Idol. I've run some of the other Idols on this forum. I think they are great ways for us all to show off our favorite coins and our photography skills. This is the time of year to learn more about your fellow forum members and learn from them, too.

Running an Idol is a lot of work. Art did a fantastic job last year and I'll try to follow his lead to make it easier on all of that. Please be patient with my upkeep of the contest. And give me help and pointers where you see fit.

The Idols I've run always have something different about them, for better or worse, to keep you coming back to vote. I have some ideas I want to present today. Let me know what you think by voting!

To recap, here are last year's categories:

Group 1: Ancient XX-499AD

Group 2: Medievel 500AD-1500

Group 3: 1501-1700

Group 4: 1701-1800

Group 5: 1801-1900

Group 6: 1901-2000

Group 7: 2001-Present

Group 8: NCLT

Group 9: Exonumia

Group 10: Special Coins - anything you collect that you feel warrants being outside the other catagories.

Idea #1: Separate the coins by their material - brackets for gold, silver, copper, other precious metals (platinum, palladium, etc), other base metals (nickel, Cu-Ni, steel, aluminum, etc), bimetallic (must be significantly and obviously bimetallic (i.e. silver plugged copper coins are still considered copper)), non-metallic (wood, ceramic, paper, etc).

Explanation: I majored in Materials Science & Engineering. Materials and their characteristics are a passion of mine. In terms of PCI, I've seen many times that a gold coin beats out a very nice copper or silver coin. I think there is a heavy bias towards glittery, shiny gold coins that may not be as aesthetically, historically, or numismatically significant.

Idea #2: Separate the coins by their continent of issue

Explanation: This will give coins from countries like Venezuela a better chance as they won't have to face the great American coins or gorgeous rubles.

Idea #3: A mix

Explanation: What if I do the material categories and, in each, the subcategories would be either last year's categories, or the continent idea, or random.

Idea #4: Random matches

Explanation: Who needs order and categories. Just throw the coins in a random number generator and create the matchups that way.

Default: Just go with last year's categories.

Your suggestions: Go ahead, suggest other ideas.

Please vote above!

Hello Coinpeople,

I've volunteered to run this year's Popular Coin Idol. I've run some of the other Idols on this forum. I think they are great ways for us all to show off our favorite coins and our photography skills. This is the time of year to learn more about your fellow forum members and learn from them, too.

Running an Idol is a lot of work. Art did a fantastic job last year and I'll try to follow his lead to make it easier on all of that. Please be patient with my upkeep of the contest. And give me help and pointers where you see fit.

The Idols I've run always have something different about them, for better or worse, to keep you coming back to vote. I have some ideas I want to present today. Let me know what you think by voting!

To recap, here are last year's categories:

Idea #1: Separate the coins by their material - brackets for gold, silver, copper, other precious metals (platinum, palladium, etc), other base metals (nickel, Cu-Ni, steel, aluminum, etc), bimetallic (must be significantly and obviously bimetallic (i.e. silver plugged copper coins are still considered copper)), non-metallic (wood, ceramic, paper, etc).

Explanation: I majored in Materials Science & Engineering. Materials and their characteristics are a passion of mine. In terms of PCI, I've seen many times that a gold coin beats out a very nice copper or silver coin. I think there is a heavy bias towards glittery, shiny gold coins that may not be as aesthetically, historically, or numismatically significant.

Idea #2: Separate the coins by their continent of issue

Explanation: This will give coins from countries like Venezuela a better chance as they won't have to face the great American coins or gorgeous rubles.

Idea #3: A mix

Explanation: What if I do the material categories and, in each, the subcategories would be either last year's categories, or the continent idea, or random.

Idea #4: Random matches

Explanation: Who needs order and categories. Just throw the coins in a random number generator and create the matchups that way.

Default: Just go with last year's categories.

Your suggestions: Go ahead, suggest other ideas.

Please vote above!

Nice job George. I cast my vote for option #1. Subdividing by continent might get a bit hairy. Hopefully I'll have some good entries this year.

Yeah, only six votes as of now. If we don't get at leat 10 or 15 I say we let the dead one run it the way he wants and see how it comes out.

I agree on that. Where the heck are all the people?

I didn't publish this poll in the main thread. How did you go about advertising the contest last year, Art?

I put a notice in the Coins Forum and each of the major forums like Banknotes, Canadian Coins, etc. If you make up a post linking to the poll, I'll be happy to copy it to each of the forums and add an Announcement to each forum about it.

Busy week here. Sorry folks. I think I'll start soliciting entrants soon.

One thing I want to emphasize this year is that an ugly but rare coin can beat a gorgeous but common and recently stuck NCLT. History matters as much as beauty and vice versa.

Busy week here. Sorry folks. I think I'll start soliciting entrants soon.

One thing I want to emphasize this year is that an ugly but rare coin can beat a gorgeous but common and recently stuck NCLT. History matters as much as beauty and vice versa.

Perhaps some sort of weight system can be applied. Points for appearance, history, blah, etc.

• 3 months later...

I, LeSnipe, bring protest to exclusion of sockpuppets and lint from PCI.

Hold the line at lint please! Unless we want to include it with wooden nickels...

Hold the line at lint please! Unless we want to include it with wooden nickels...

I like wooden nickels.

I like wooden nickels.

Nothing wrong with wooden nickels. Just comes under 'non-metallic numismatic materials'. Of course I'm pretty sure the Federal Government wants us to pick on sockpuppets.

Archived