CoinPeople.com

eBay watch

alexbq2

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a rarity perspective + price info... There are 8 on molotok right now, some are in better shape and all except one are cheaper.

http://molotok.ru/listing/listing.php?string=1+копейка+1767+км&search_scope=category-48502

Had it been the no "km" one, that would be a different story.

I love ebay deals myself, and I got a few over the years, but rotten copper is very common now in Russia (exempt for great rarities). 1/2 country is going around with minesweepers digging up tons of copper coins. Even great rarities as 1789mm 1 kop are eroding. For instance, there is currently more than 1 for sale and the price is not insane... Yes, we do not have an easy access to that yet, but, what if it starts flowing here? Also, I would much rather but 1 beautiful coin, than 20 rotten one for the same money. That is just my piece of mind. If you want to sell something rotten one day, you will know it is solid advice that I am trying to give here.

M-dv is good for rare coins. Common stuff does not make it to the auction to be listed there.

That is very interesting, BKB. Though none of the 8 Molotok pieces is tempting, the sheer plenty of them is surprising. There will be discovered more, also in nicer shape in dry places where they were not exposed to corrosion (under the floor, or in churches, etc.). I appreciate very much your insider information, not all of us (and certainly not I) do understand sufficient :read: Russian to watch the news. Thank you! :art:

Sigi

-

That is very interesting, BKB. Though none of the 8 Molotok pieces is tempting, the sheer plenty of them is surprising. There will be discovered more, also in nicer shape in dry places where they were not exposed to corrosion (under the floor, or in churches, etc.). I appreciate very much your insider information, not all of us (and certainly not I) do understand sufficient :read: Russian to watch the news. Thank you! :art:

Sigi

-

I think the days of "dug up plenty" might be coming to an end. Well, maybe not an end but a slow down is expected. First of all, a decade of digging does make a difference, the quantity of finds is reportedly reducing. Secondly, a new law has been passed in Russia, I'm not very familiar with it, but the general sentiment is that it is meant to crack down on metal detecting. Of course Russian laws are fickle and are not enforced equally, only time will tell if this one will really have an impact.

As long as we understand the quantities of the stuff already dug up, we should re-visit the copper rarity. As far as a rare coin in collectable condition (not dug up, good color, xf+) goes, the rarity is untouched. Can go by Ilyin, etc. There is an influx of common coins in collectable condition and rotten rarities. Despite of the new law, reportedly, all diggers are still digging. Thus, if you include rotten coins into rarity tables, then the rarity is diluted severely. I cannot think of any copper coin (except patterns) that was not dug up in recent years. Even 1762 denga made its appearance 5 years ago on MiM. Albeit, rotten as hell. But, when it comes to regular coins in spectacular condition, and rare coins in collectable/spectacular condition -- there is no supply... They are much harder to get than ever before (IMXO).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks alexbg2 and squirrel,

Coin is better then images and not possible to find for reasonable price and I have better one :) .I'm not sure if it ex. Markov coin ,purchasing about 10 years ago.

Rarenum.

I decided not to bid on it. I can not fault it, and it looks OK to me too... I spent some time checking it against other coins. It's just too good to be true, and because my first impression was "wait a minute!", that spoils the feeling, even if the coins is as beautiful as this one, so I passed it. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

But, when it comes to regular coins in spectacular condition, and rare coins in collectable/spectacular condition -- there is no supply... They are much harder to get than ever before (IMXO).

Just a few years ago there was a constant stream of nice graded minors on ebay. Today seeing a nice minor for sale on ebay is almost an event. Wondering if all gradable coins have been slabbed and are now settled in collections.

Just a few years ago there was a constant stream of nice graded minors on ebay. Today seeing a nice minor for sale on ebay is almost an event. Wondering if all gradable coins have been slabbed and are now settled in collections.

If anyone is interested I can offer NGC slabbed Ms-62 BN 1/4 kopeck 1885 and AU-50 20 kopecks 1859

• 1 month later...

Interesting lots sold on e-Bay. Anyone you know? I never bought from this seller before. Looks like sale of someone's part of a collection, as there were some interesting coins there:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/lostdiamond777/m.html?item=141332674128&nma=true&orig_cvip=true&autorefresh=true&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&si=4clLBW2c0e6WezTe9TLdU9KyB%252B0%253D&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

• 2 weeks later...