CoinPeople.com

eBay watch

alexbq2

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also this curious piece got sold some time ago. Any thoughts? http://www.ebay.com/itm/370570530040

I have bought many times from this seller in the past and was never disappointed. Even the most knowledgeable of sellers will be taken in by a fake at times (not to say that I know this is a fake ... it is not one of the things I collect).

Is there anything remotely similar to this one listed in the Bitkin catalogue?

Is there anything remotely similar to this one listed in the Bitkin catalogue?

I didn't find anything quite like that in Bitkin. It is conceivable that this is a fake meant for circulation, although I think those make more sense for the later period of Peter's coinage when the weight of the coins was reduced.

989256.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I recall making a gag prediction that soon people will start going to bidding wars over replicas. I didn't think that would actually happen, until now:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574633083&toolid=10001&campid=5335826004&customid=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&icep_item=110808260414

Nice job, nearly convincing design, were there not the poor spacing of НА СЕРЕБРО

and the fact that the manufacturer could not differentiate between А and Л (3x!).

Sigi

-

I love it when outright fakers call their product "novodels," presumably thinking they are being honest about what they are selling. Or that they hope you will think so. Either way they are probably hoping to use the word to weasel out of a charge of fraud.

When you manufacture a coin that isn't what it purports to be (i.e., an actual proof, pattern or business strike coin of that denomination, made in [see footnote] that year), it's a fake. Unless you happen to be the mint, in which case it's a novodel. Claiming a fake is a novodel just gives you a fake novodel as opposed to a real novodel.

Being a product of the mint, a real novodel is something collectible, but I nevertheless wasn't interested; I wanted "real" coins, business strikes (that excluded proofs and patterns too, to the relief of my wallet). I think over the years I purchased two by mistake. One of them was not attributed right at the auction (which I should have spotted but didn't--it was pretty obvious), so I got my money back; the other I decided I would flip (I paid a lot less than novodel price for it), forgot about it, then it ended up in the sale of my collection--labeled as such.

I love it when outright fakers call their product "novodels," presumably thinking they are being honest about what they are selling. Or that they hope you will think so. Either way they are probably hoping to use the word to weasel out of a charge of fraud. When you manufacture a coin that isn't what it purports to be (i.e., an actual proof, pattern or business strike coin of that denomination, made in [see footnote] that year), it's a fake. Unless you happen to be the mint, in which case it's a novodel. Claiming a fake is a novodel just gives you a fake novodel as opposed to a real novodel. Being a product of the mint, a real novodel is something collectible, but I nevertheless wasn't interested; I wanted "real" coins, business strikes (that excluded proofs and patterns too, to the relief of my wallet). I think over the years I purchased two by mistake. One of them was not attributed right at the auction (which I should have spotted but didn't--it was pretty obvious), so I got my money back; the other I decided I would flip (I paid a lot less than novodel price for it), forgot about it, then it ended up in the sale of my collection--labeled as such.

Isn't this a Novodel? :confus:

994966.jpg

P.S. I kinda like Novodels. If anyone wants to get rid of their unwanted ones - I accept donations :)

It most likely isn't, according to the dealer who sold it to me, who ought to know. But I can certainly understand why you'd ask.

(Is this the coin you asked about via Omnicoin a couple of days ago? The e-mail Omnicoin sent me with your comment doesn't indicate what coin the comment is about, which suggests a possible improvement to Omnicoin.)

Here's the description from the auction catalog:

Grivennik 1713 МД, Sev 305, GM-plate 75/3, Diakov 3. EXTREMELY RARE type struck on a full weight planchet (2.79 grams). Possibly a novodel from original dies but due to full strike and weight we tend to believe it is a superb original specimen. AU

So I call it a "maybe but probably not." And certainly "superb orginal" got my attention, and my money.

This brings up the point that restrikes from fully original dies are going to be the trickiest novodels to discover, because they could be made in the same manner as the originals. You might even have to analyze the metal in the coin to figure it out; if it's too pure it's probably done later with better refining technology. (Hmmm, might be worth it in this case; x ray fluorescence is getting cheaper and cheaper.)

(In fact this is probably a valid way to find the rumored later restrikes of the imperial platinum coins, though I should think the visual appearance of the platinum would be a strong clue too.)

• 3 months later...

Alex,

Look at this one....

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a7421c9c3

I don't know much about this series, but the image is a bit strange: the middle part is in very good focus all around within the circle, yet the corresponding parts of the wreath in the horizontal direction are out of focus!

It looks like a Photoshop job to me, but it is hard to tell because the image might have been rotated.

this piece, 3 kop 1917, if genuine, may cost much more than seller listed