CoinPeople.com

eBay watch

alexbq2

after, pls note, after ebay auction i consulted with expert from russia and he said that i should have gone much higher hunting for this coin, especially that it is yellow not red :)

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's definitely tricky!

When I saw the coin it was at $30 or so and I thought this is the old eagle. Then I looked at other coins, and became uncertain. There's some possibility of transitional eagles. Like eagle with one old wing and one new wing or old wings re-engraved into the new shape. At any rate, the next day it was it at $40, and I decided to put a snipe at double that price. And boy was I surprised when I saw how that auction ended. :D

P.S. The fact that there were at least 3 snipes above $100 is a convincing argument. While I was not certain enough to commit any significant amount. You were clearly not the only person who felt inclined to do so. This definitely sways my opinion towards the old eagle. I'll save the images for future reference. :)

Alex, I was unsure, too, viewed and compared for days. As you say there are transitional eagles close to the old eagle, such as on the current ebay coin.

after, pls note, after ebay auction i consulted with expert from russia and he said that i should have gone much higher hunting for this coin, especially that it is yellow not red :)

Thank you Valentin, I'm always looking forward to what you have to say! Your opinion is greatly appreciated! This time it wiped out my last doubts about the eagle.

But let me ask you - isn't chocolate brown the ultimate color of an old copper coin? What is yellow? :confus:

The coin in question is light brown (judging from the ebay pictures - coin is still in the mails). Is it this light brown what you call yellow?

Why would it be preferable to dark (chocolate) brown?

And what is meant by "red"? Maybe a cleaned (piggy pink) coin?

Thank you again, Sigi

IMHO, Sigi, you have the older, plump, eagle. Not the scrawny, underfed bird of the later vintage. Congratulations!

Josh, thank you for the witty comment.

You always find a humourous aspect about this (sometimes too) serious business :bthumbsup: Best, Sigi

But let me ask you - isn't chocolate brown the ultimate color of an old copper coin? What is yellow? :confus:

The coin in question is light brown (judging from the ebay pictures - coin is still in the mails). Is it this light brown what you call yellow?

Why would it be preferable to dark (chocolate) brown?

And what is meant by "red"? Maybe a cleaned (piggy pink) coin?

Thank you again, Sigi

I think it has something to do with NGC color designations: RD, RB, BR,...

Not sure what they call yellow. But it is considered to be better than dark chocolate patina.

Josh, thank you for the witty comment.

You always find a humourous aspect about this (sometimes too) serious business :bthumbsup: Best, Sigi

Thanks Sigi! After all, this is coin PEOPLE here!

I try to use some type of system for keeping all the varieties of eagles clear in my mind, and if the later type KM pyatak eagle is the most beautiful (in my mind), then the 2nd type EM eagle is the ugly duckling.

Dont even ask me how i keep the varieties of Anna Rouble portraits differentiated in my nutty brain, but you will never see "Jabba the Hut" listed in any scholarly reference. :shock:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Can anyone tell me what this is? From what i can tell it comemorates the battle of Kagul 1770, but i do not know whether it is a medal, order, fake or fantasy.

Any repl will be grately appreciated. Thanks

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574633083&toolid=10001&campid=5335826004&customid=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&icep_item=270752006034

It might be real ... at least it doesn't look like the "usual suspect" when it comes to fake Gangut roubles! :lol:

I would want to see the edge and check the weight before spending serious money on it, though.

Besides that, a seller with only 15 feedback points makes me suspicious ... even if the picture is of a genuine coin, that doesn't necessarily mean that this is the coin one would receive. I wouldn't take that chance just in the hopes of finding a bargain.

It might be real ... at least it doesn't look like the "usual suspect" when it comes to fake Gangut roubles! :lol:

I would want to see the edge and check the weight before spending serious money on it, though.

Besides that, a seller with only 15 feedback points makes me suspicious ... even if the picture is of a genuine coin, that doesn't necessarily mean that this is the coin one would receive. I wouldn't take that chance just in the hopes of finding a bargain.

$7100 sale price, largely driven up by 2 buyers with 0 feedback. Seems very suspect!

$7100 sale price, largely driven up by 2 buyers with 0 feedback. Seems very suspect!

If it is genuine, then someone got it for half of what it would normally cost at a reputable auction. Doesn't make any sense at all for a seller to put up a coin like this on eBay. Buyers with this kind of money also will not buy something like this on eBay, so why bother?

I wonder what the eBay listing fees for this price are ... was it really worth it (assuming that a shill bidder won it)??? :confus:

If it is genuine, then someone got it for half of what it would normally cost at a reputable auction. Doesn't make any sense at all for a seller to put up a coin like this on eBay. Buyers with this kind of money also will not buy something like this on eBay, so why bother?

I wonder what the eBay listing fees for this price are ... was it really worth it (assuming that a shill bidder won it)??? :confus:

The winner actually had a feedback score of 500, but he/she was competing against 2 bidders with 0 feedback. Which leads me to speculate that there was shill bidding, and that it was effective.

• 2 weeks later...

This coin and a few more from the same dealer were in January's Heritage auction.

On Ebay this one sold yesterday for much less than on Heritage. Interesting....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160612198514&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Was it also in an NGC slab? Same number???

• 5 months later...

I wander who won this coin?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320805486190

:not_i: I thought to be the only one to recognize it from the poor pictures

But my sniper shot went way to short :grin:

Congrats to the winner - Sigi

-