• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Found a couple of good grade coins, that I had to have. It's hard to find Moscow mint 1757 in good state...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201446374979?_trksid=p2057872.m2750.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201446376340?_trksid=p2057872.m2750.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Do you think grading can be improved?

As seen through the plastic they look great, both of them, congratulations. Hopefully there will be no unpleasant surprise when exhumated. But maybe you leave them where they are? Remember the wrecked coin I found masked by my first (and last) slab. ;)

Sigi

I am hopeful for no surprises, as slabs are old, and grading in these slabs used to be more conservative than nowadays, noting scratches, cleaning and environmental damage. I'd really like to see them next to my other 2 kopecks in a lot. So, slabs may have to go, besides I think they downgrade them... :)

• 3 years later...

Link works when copied and pasted above. Real or not - difficult to tell from the picture alone:pardon:0 .16 grams short of weight (~5%) can be explained by wear.    Strange thing that it was inserted at $.99. The seller hasn't sold any rarities before, looks like an antique dealer.  But one never knows....  Let's see the buyer's feedback. Someone ready to risk that heap of money for a - well, ugly looking coin most have some experience.  In my opinion a coin like that needs to be seen in person, taken in hand, inspected closely.

Sigi

On 12/16/2018 at 9:55 PM, alexbq2 said:

A 1706 gold Ducat was on sale - https://www.ebay.com/itm/RUSSIA-PETER-GOLD-ROUBLE-RUBEL-DUCAT-Fine-condition-but-very-rare-RR-/332937841599?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720

Sold for a $1034, a bargain if a real coin, but is it?

Ebay listing is not authentic

Reference catalogue listed 1706  Chervonets in gold

Listed as original struck in gold by Diakov#218 (R5), GM 24.9 (Unique),Giel(Ext.Rare),Petrov-500 rubles.Bikin8(Unique)

Struck in silver by the same dies Diakov#219(R5),Bitkin 9(Unique)

I have doubt if both coins struck in 1706 ,possible both coins struck by mint later as novodel in Gold and Silver. Can't confirm until I see struck in gold ,possible coin located somewhere in Russian museum.

Rarenum