CoinPeople.com

eBay watch

alexbq2

I decided to start this thread to discuss curiosities on eBay. It's a general thread, and everyone is welcome to post anything curios.

For instance, this auction for 1838 RUSSIAN COPPER MEDAL NICHOLAS I MS61 attracted my attention some time ago:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574633083&toolid=10001&campid=5335826004&customid=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&icep_item=170593229597

It seemed to have ended quite well, so I was surprised that the item was listed again on eBay.de:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574633083&toolid=10001&campid=5335826004&customid=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&icep_item=170614761244

Interestingly enough the original auction went better. I wonder if this time the sale will go through.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an unusual item. Russian rouble turned into a commemorative token?

The inscription is in English - dated 1 December 1899. I can't quite make out the name:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574633083&toolid=10001&campid=5335826004&customid=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&icep_item=110664249531

The inscription is in English - dated 1 December 1899. I can't quite make out the name:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574633083&toolid=10001&campid=5335826004&customid=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&icep_item=110664249531

It looks like "A Prenzlew" which is an odd name so perhaps I am reading it wrong.

The host coin was minted in St. Petersburg in 1842 or 1843, based on the minter's initials (АЧ) and the fact that the eagle is Julian variety "d"; given eight buds on each half of the wreath, it's Julian 1088 or 1095.

The inscription reads

APrenzlau

1.December 1899

Prenzlau sounds pretty German. There is a town near Berlin by that name and Prenzlau exists also as a German surname. December was the German spelling in 1899 (it since has become Dezember). The dot following the 1 is the German way to write the date.

The item is located in Lithuania.

Many Germans (or their descendants) then lived in Russia and especially in the Baltic region of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania which then belonged to Russia. Russian coins circulated there. And that explains IMHO a German graffito on a tsarist rouble. Sigi :)

-

Yes that makes more sense than how I read it. Good explanation. Between that and my attribution of the host coin, we got this one knocked.

Excellent! I had no idea December was the German spelling back then.

Here's another curiosity:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574633083&toolid=10001&campid=5335826004&customid=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&icep_item=150580375576

Hmmm... it is really strange.. :confus:

I don't know any story that may be behind such activity of the Finnish Gov.

No use in my opinion esp.in this period.

If I make something on the coin it will be official ? I decided to put

Playboy Bunny on the 1915 rouble. Nicholas will be happy :hysterical:

Hmmm... it is really strange.. :confus:

I don't know any story that may be behind such activity of the Finnish Gov.

No use in my opinion esp.in this period.

If I make something on the coin it will be official ? I decided to put

Playboy Bunny on the 1915 rouble. Nicholas will be happy :hysterical:

Do you think that the counterstamped lion is actually Finnish?

• 2 weeks later...

I inspected the picture closely, too. IMHO it is not quite the rare later eagle (Bitkin295) but rather a variant of the common eagle (Bitkin 294) or something inbetween. The eagle's tail looks like that of the later eagle, but the crown seems to be of the larger size of the 1803 type. I would greatly appreciate other peoples' opinions on this.

Was the coin the rare variant or not? :confus: Thank you, Sigi

-

I inspected the picture closely, too. IMHO it is not quite the rare later eagle (Bitkin295) but rather a variant of the common eagle (Bitkin 294) or something inbetween. The eagle's tail looks like that of the later eagle, but the crown seems to be of the larger size of the 1803 type. I would greatly appreciate other peoples' opinions on this.

-

the price reached so high for the common eagle looks to me too, not that rare one which little bit narrow with wings pooled up, however I do not like bubles on this coin IMXO

-

IMHO the crown here is definitely smaller than on the 1803 style series, and note that the tips of the wings do not overlap the counting circles.

I was hoping this coin would end up in my collection, but the final price put my bid to shame. Lately, I feel that eBay is becoming more of a spectator sport for me. :cry:

I blame the oil prices!

IMHO the crown here is definitely smaller than on the 1803 style series, and note that the tips of the wings do not overlap the counting circles.

I was hoping this coin would end up in my collection, but the final price put my bid to shame. Lately, I feel that eBay is becoming more of a spectator sport for me. :cry:

I blame the oil prices!

Alex, think you were right :clapping: I should have taken a closer look. There was a similar one in the Bakken collection, auctioned by Gorny & Mosch.

See pictures below. Sigi :cry:

comparison5kop1807em.jpg

my5kop1807em.jpg

Well, Sigi, you are definitely correct, it is not the same variant as in the Gorny and Mosch sale. That is for certain. But to me it does not entirely match the photo you have of the common variant either, which may just be a simple difference of engraving by different die engravers or some issue of early 19th century quality control.

The differences between the crown sizes and wing tips (the crown on the ebay piece appears to be an earlier, more crude crown, I'm not sure if it is necessarily larger than the crown on the G&M piece; the wing tips have tips drawn to more distinctive points on the ebay piece) are good reference points but something that always helps me differentiate between varieties is the distance between devices on different variants. For example, to me it seems that there is a longer distance between the tip of the tail feathers and the inside concentric circle on the G&M coin. In addition, there is a marked difference in the scepters. The scepter in the ebay piece appears longer, and is held at a wider angle away from the eagle so that the tip of the scepter is nearly touching the inner concentric circle. There also appears to be a wider space between the scepter and the body of the eagle as well. It also seems that the pattern of how the feathers on the body are laying is distinct as well.

Does anyone else see these differences? Am I on the right track? This is an area that really needs some help for me IMHO.

Well, Sigi, you are definitely correct, it is not the same variant as in the Gorny and Mosch sale. That is for certain.

Actually, I thought that Sigi was saying that it is similar to the Gorny Mosch coin :confus:

When you are looking at the 2 coins side by side keep in mind that the scale on these photos is not 1:1.

Actually, I thought that Sigi was saying that it is similar to the Gorny Mosch coin :confus:

When you are looking at the 2 coins side by side keep in mind that the scale on these photos is not 1:1.

Yes, I had wanted to point out that the eBay coin is much closer to the very rare coin (G&M-Bakken) than to the common coin (mine). With other words, the ebay coin was in fact the very rare variant. :yes:

Sigi

-

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this is funny or just funny looking :)

:hysterical: Looks like a basement job to me.

Usually I get very depressed when I see fakes being sold for lots of $$$. But somehow I want to see this one go for $1,000! (Don't worry, though, I won't be bidding on it). :evilbanana:

:hysterical:

Parody! Thats great. What a good description. It makes "Fake" sound like a compliment!

What makes it worse is it was a parody of the wrong coin! :hysterical::rofl:

I am not sure how it could be worse.

On second thought, maybe I do: If the auctioneer had tried to sell it as a 100 ruble platinum piece, even if the "coin" was quite plainly labeled "10 gold rubles" even though it was a bronze parody of a 3 kopek piece, it would have been worse.