CoinPeople.com

Storing Medals

Hey, I am putting a lot of my coins and medals into cold storage for a bit. My problem is this...I have medals that are quite large. They dont fit in the largest size flips I can find nor can I find coin storage boxes that are big enough. Most are well larger than a silver dollar. I can get an average size if that helps. I am looking for a way to protect them as in a flip and store them similar to the way one stores coins in a coin box (for space reasons and I dont want to stack them on top of each other for obvious reasons). Any suggestions? I have found singular medal boxes, like presentation cases but that is far from ideal and expensive.

Thanks

I think that you can get those round coin enclosures - can't think of the name right now - that will do very large medals. They come with a plasticized ring that inhibits corrosion or fitted to the medal size. This would make stacking a better solution.

okay, I guess I missed the larger flips sizes. I think the hard clear holder might be a better bet as, like you say, they can be stacked. I am going to do a bit more searching online...thanks

just an excuse to show off... :grin:

cabinet0600.jpg

RE: Wooden Cupboard of German Origin

Measurements:Height: 76 3/4 inches

Depth: 19 3/4 inches

Width: 40 1/2 inches

The wooden cupboard is in two pieces with 102 sliding trays; the lower case having two doors on a raised base and the upper case having two doors, with molded panels in a frame. The entire surface of the cupboard is a painted "Faux bois" finish with graining done in an imitation of highly figured walnut. This coating disguises the fact that both cabinets are constructed in pine wood and veneered with another wood. The applied moldings of the upper case are cherrywood.

The construction techniques used in both cares are of traditional 18th century mortise and tenon technique with dovetail joinery. The lower case has nails that are late 18th or early 20th century manufactured and appears to be original to its construction. The upper case has wooden pegs used to hold boards in place. The sliding trays were used to contain bronze art medallions and plaster casts. The flat surface of all the trays had been covered with different fabrics to cushion the art work. The trays had the dirty fabric removed and then vacuumed.The fabric is to be returned to the owner.

In my estimation, the upper case is of 18th century German origin and the lower case of late 19th century origin. These two cases were paired together at that time and given the faux bois graining in imitation of walnut.

Treatment of the cupboard consisted of examination for structural integrity which is intact and damage to the finish. The finish has sustained numerous scratches and abrasions resulting in some loss to the paint coat. Also, the case was quite dirty. As a result, the cupboard was cleaned and touched up the paint losses only in the most glaring places with removable paints. The cupboard was subsequently waxed and polished before personal delivery to the owner.

The drawers are made from quarter-sawn oak and framed in cherry. This wood is 100-225 years old...long past the time to worry about outgassing from the wood. When goetz was using it he had the drawers lined in a beige velvet. Since it has been sitting in humid conditions since at least the mid-80's, the material has become filthy and musty. I am relining the drawers with archival, black velvet.

cabinet1600.jpg

cabinet2600.jpg

Call the life guards.

I'm drowning in drool. Severe cabinet envy! :shock:

Ditto on taht one. That's some beautiful cabinet. Wish it were mine. :bthumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived