CoinPeople.com

Antique Silver Coin Jewelry

Antique coin bracelet - 13 coins on charm - silver validation markings visible :

Do the coins lose their market value as jewerly items or are the coins graded individually at all or just add to the weight?

There are some rather awesome coins on this bracelet.

:bhyper:

13 Coin Bracelet.jpg

Antique coin bracelet - 13 coins on charm - silver validation markings visible :

Do the coins lose their market value as jewerly items or are the coins graded individually at all or just add to the weight?

There are some rather awesome coins on this bracelet.

:bhyper:

Since each coin had a hole drilled through it to make the bracelet, the coins are all damaged. But, they are still worth a portion of their silver melt value, and then there may be some added value in these for people who actually want the coins as jewelry. So depends who you're selling to. Personally, as a coin collector, when I see silver coins on bracelets I add up the melt value in ASW of all the coins, then take off about 10%, and that's what I'd pay. I don't need bracelets, I need metals :grin:

Most will be worth less as jewelery (Zimbabwe/Rhodesia and West African shillings, for example), while others (Canadian and US silver 25c) will be worth about the same.

Base metal coins, like the Dutch post-WWII 25c are probably worth more as a jewelery piece since their inital coin value to start with would had been virtually nil.

It is sort of a pretty strong rule that condition counts. A coin in extremely fine grade is worth more than one that is only very good. And cleaning lowers value considerably. So, a coin with a hole in it is scrap.

That said, I pick them out of junk boxes to use as jewelry, charms, etc.

And, oddly enough ... If you look at David Sear's Greek Coin and their Values, the plate coin for the Athenian dekadrachm has a hole in it. A couple more are known now, but when the book was published the only example was in a museum, so the hole had to be ignored. Similarly, I just got Alexander Basok's book on Bulgarian four ducat coins (review to follow soon). Many are also rare, but were retrieved from jewelry, so they have holes. You have to live with that. Among the US coins I have that were holed at one time or another is a Seated Half that I am pretty sure came from the South Seas - holed the same places and diameters as the German and Dutch coins it came with. I would not sell it for scrap - but that's my choice, not the market reality.

:drinks: Thank you all - needless to say your comments are read with much enthusiasm and appreciation! Duly noted!

I had no intention to study and monitor coins other than those recently past down to me from my Grandfather. I find myself in quite a pickle of late - it seems i may well have caught of bug of some sought - attacks the central nervous system - involuntary reflexes - monitoring modern coins almost as soon as the teller hands over the change! :oops: CONTAGIOUS

Clifford Mishler is the president of the American Numismatic Association. When he worked for Krause Publishers, he had a stump speech he gave to coin clubs about the hobby, his view of its future, and our place in it. His catchphrase was "Collecting is a gene you do not inherit." In other words, collectors are somehow different from other people, no matter what they collect. Sometimes people pick it up from family, but often as not, it just appears in a person like a mutation or something.

Myself, I am not much of a collector, I confess, but I am a romantic. You hold an old fountain pen in your hand... I once held a Babylonian clay tablet... You touch a coin from Tibet... You get the feel of an antique stock certificate or even an old machine part... and you connect with the people who were in contact with it before... You open an old book and rest your fingertips on the page and the texture of the paper, the letters, ... Well...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's interesting! I've been blaming my Grandad for holes in coins, as he undoubtably did it to some pennies as my Granny had one on a key ring. Now I see the silver ones where probably on a bracelet. :doh:

Anyway, your bracelet is fab. Personally I'd just wear it! Perhaps I should do that with my holey coins (after the application of a little polish perhaps)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49314257@N03/5581175183/

Perhaps I should do that with my holey coins (after the application of a little polish perhaps)

Polish would only ruin that nice old surface. I understand that the holes do nothing good for them, but they are what they are now, so, don't make it worse. I have a bag of holey coins and some I put on key rings, flash drives, etc. Others I just enjoy.

Archived