CoinPeople.com

A Disturbing Story on Swiss Gold Coins

Scottishmoney

There was a story on History Channel this morning where it was revealed that Swiss gold 20 Francs coins minted after 1945 have 10 X more mercury than is usually present in the coins. The suggestion is that the higher mercury levels may be a result of the Swiss having channeled through quite a bit of gold from Nazi Germany during WWII, and that the high mercury content could have come from dental gold taken from holocaust victims.

Eww.

No Swiss gold for me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you see how many '40s German or Swiss watches are available for sale on ebay from Russia? These are looted from dead German soldiers or confiscated from prisoners... So, what's the difference? Gold is gold.

Do you like the 8 Reales coins? Did you know that the silver and gold from South America was the cause of death of hundreds of thousands of Mayas and Incas? 500 years ago or 60 years ago, what's the difference?

Do you like Russian gold or platinum coins? Did you know how many Muzhiks were died in Siberian mines for it?

During WWII the gold reserve of Romanian National Bank increased with several tons, from Germany as payment for Romanian oil, meat and cereals. In 1945 Soviets confiscated all this gold. What for? To be returned to families of death Jews? I don't think so...

We live in pragmatic world... and Swiss banks are the champions!

OMG, would this mean people will be dumping Swiss coins minted after 1945 and hence meaning that their prices will rise significiantly compared to their pre WWII coins? :ninja:

The dental gold in Swiss coins story is not breaking news, it's been circulating for years. I don't think it will have any effect on prices. As Banivechi said, gold is gold.

I read a book sometime saying that the swuisse voted a law that any art painting not claimed as stoolen became property of the new owner after 12 months wherever he got it

So we all kwow about the gold that was never returned to their original owners

I only like their watches :ninja:

If the gold disolved with mercury is so poisonous, why it is used in dental crowns? Why these Jews not died intoxicated before to be fried by Nazis? :ninja:

I once visited a factory in Austria were the manager showed a huge hall filled with antiquated compressors and told us those were used during the war

The Jews were first gassed by zyclon B then their hair was removed for bedding and dental gold of course then they were burned

I seem to remember they also made soap out of them

No being Belgian I think Belgian chocolate is the best in the world

I worked for Monsanto and had American visitors take kilos of chocolate and crates of beer  ;)

Eating chocolate and drinking beer??? :ninja:

Here doesn't exist Belgian chocolat for sale ;)

I don't have my Krause handy, but weren't they struck with a fixed date?

Yes, there are the 1935 L-B dated coins, which were minted in 1945, 1946 and 1947. Actually if i'm not mistaken, these are the coins minted with gold from Germany, the 1947 and 1949 issues were struck later. Mine is a 1909B.

P.S.: Guylian chocolates, hummmm....:ninja:

Jose ;)

Yes, there are the 1935 L-B dated coins, which were minted in 1945, 1946 and 1947. Actually if i'm not mistaken, these are the coins minted with gold from Germany, the 1947 and 1949 issues were struck later.

893092.jpg

:ninja:;)

Actually not!

I did a project on Swiss Banks and found that you can actually open one with as little as $3500, so you don't have to be a super-rich, reclusive millionaire!

As for the mercury point, I think it adds another facet to the coins, albeit a morbid one. To me, it would make them more interesting because of the specific history locked up in them.

Archived