CoinPeople.com

Mystery coins !!!!

bluenosesky

Dear readers, im new to this site and have a collection of argentinian coins. However my mind is questioning two british coins. In my drawer i have an undated 20p on both sides from 2008 and a £2 coin from 2005 which is the 400th anniversary of guy fawkes. Around the outside of the £2 pound coin it says Pemember Pemember the 5th of November. Clearly it should say Remember Remember, does anyone know of this error to any of these coins please, many thanks.

The undated 20p is a mule of the old obverse and the new reverse, with the old coin the date was on the reverse and the new one has the date on the obverse. Apparently around 100,000 of these coins entered circulation by accident and have been selling on Ebay for upwards of 100 pounds.

The two pound coin is a new one for me, i have never heard of another with a minting error such as yours. Perhaps you should contact the Royal Mint to authenticate your two pound coin, as the keep a very detailed record of minting errors which have occured.

The undated 20p is a mule of the old obverse and the new reverse, with the old coin the date was on the reverse and the new one has the date on the obverse. Apparently around 100,000 of these coins entered circulation by accident and have been selling on Ebay for upwards of 100 pounds.

The two pound coin is a new one for me, i have never heard of another with a minting error such as yours. Perhaps you should contact the Royal Mint to authenticate your two pound coin, as the keep a very detailed record of minting errors which have occured.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Misprinted-2-Coin-more-rarer-then-undated-2008-20p-/170564518239

Part of the description in the ebay listing:

"Now here’s were my coin is different from the rest, my coin was miss struck on the edge and reads with the naked eye ‘PEMEMBER, PEMEMBER THE FIFTH OF NOVEMBER’. Now to verify this I sent my coin to the Royal mint and the coin was looked at by Dr Kevin Clancy, head of Historical services at the royal mint and then again by Claire Hughes of the royal mint who informed me how this incorrectly minted coin made it in to circulation and how the mistake has happened. My coin was returned with a watermarked letter from the royal mint stating that it is a genuine coin as how the misprint happened.

To my Knowledge the mint have only seen around 5 of these coins making my coin much more collectable then the “No date” 20p’s of 2008 as over 250,000 were minted and they sell for around £60. The reason I have this Knowledge is because back in 2008 I had one of these coins and sold it with its letter from the mint for over £100. I am not a coin collector myself but I do keep any eye out for the “No date” 20p’s and the 2p’s from the late 70’s with no date as well as this mistake on this £2 coin as it is very rare that the mint makes mistakes that make it in to circulation, so this coin will be very collectable to the right person.

My coin shows ‘PEMEMBER, PEMEMBER THE FIFTH OF NOVEMBER’ but when I had it photographed by a pro it does seem to show the second PEMEMBER has a small line where the P should be a R BUT the first word is PEMEMBER and not REMEMBER like it should be"

How true it all is I have no idea. The last 2 on ebay went for 6.50GBP & 10.50GBP, so I suspect that they are either not that rare or perhaps there is just not much of a demand for them.

‘PEMEMBER, PEMEMBER THE FIFTH OF NOVEMBER’

is a known edge variant for these, quite common - the 'R' being simply poorly struck.

I have no idea what a "2p with no date form the late 70's" is!

Going rate for the undated 20p is around £50 on ebay, falling steadily from around £400 when the story broke.

• 2 weeks later...

i think he means the mule of 1983 which read 2 new pence instead of 2 pence. it happened in a similar way to the no date 20 p, old reverse with new obverse.

Archived