CoinPeople.com

Post your favorite pic

Goetzdude: Does it count when you combine great art with drop dead beautiful photography? Near perfect image as always.

Goetzdude: Does it count when you combine great art with drop dead beautiful photography? Near perfect image as always.

Hey Bill, Let me tell you...after seeing what you're doing with your coin photography puts you leagues ahead of my paltry skills. Really! In truth, I have perhaps gotten acceptable in photographing bronze medals that are 58mm or larger, but that's about it. I can't shoot anything that's a coin, shiny, or smaller than 36mm and this, to me, divides the men from the boys. Everyone here is doing an excellent job and I am envious of yours, and everyone's, results.

PS: The image I placed above is not given justice by being reduced. Unfortunately not everyone can view it in high-def on a 26" monitor...

Additionally, if you don't have a prime example to photograph in the first place, no matter what you do, you can never make it look better than it does in hand. In other words...if it's ugly, it's going to stay ugly and vice versa.

I prefer taking photographs when out and about and so my coin photography leaves a lot to be desired. Nonetheless, here a handful of my favourite images I've captured.

Anne2.jpg

1889crown2.jpg

Exo21.jpg

Ecgbert.jpg

HenryVIII1.jpgOffa1-1.jpg

BM25.jpg

Nice! :bthumbsup:

I'm intrigued by this one, especially since the motif of St. George and the dragon occurs so frequently on Russian coins:

1889crown2.jpg

Care to show the other side? :bhyper:

Nice! :bthumbsup:

I'm intrigued by this one, especially since the motif of St. George and the dragon occurs so frequently on Russian coins:

Care to show the other side? :bhyper:

bobh, many thanks.

I would absolutely love to show you the other side but I sold this coin years ago as I upgraded extensively back in the day when I collected Victorian crowns. Sorry. :sorry:

Goetzdude, what made you choose the lighting to be so... dramatic?

All of my shots have lighting coming from the 10:30 or 1:30 angle dependent upon the subject matter; e.g. if there's a right facing bust you'd obviously want the light coming from 1:30 to capture what the artist intended for you to see. I do not shoot light from any other angle, at least not anymore as it draws color and detail away from the subject. On occasion I'll shoot from 12:00 but only if the design dicates that I must do so.

I don't think the lighting makes the medal anymore than what it was intended to be. Luitpold was well-loved in Bavaria and it can be easily seen that this passion for the man was put into Goetz's design and execution of the piece.

This is the most recent of mine. I am glad that the toning is shown rather truthfully.

50kop1899.jpg?t=1294389012

Very nice, altyn! :bthumbsup: BTW, which mintmaster is it? (I know it's not Paris! :D )

I don't have any 1899-СПБ poltinas that nice... :wub:

Very nice, altyn! :bthumbsup: BTW, which mintmaster is it? (I know it's not Paris! :D )

I don't have any 1899-СПБ poltinas that nice... :wub:

Thank you. It is AG. I picked it up on ebay slabbed as ANACS AU58 without any indication of what the mintmaster is. So I had to break the slab to see the edge - and to take a picture as well, since the axial technique does not work with slabs. The coin is on its way to NGC now, let's see what grade they will assign. Comparing it to my other AU58 poltinas from the same period, this one should be higher.

Thank you. It is AG. I picked it up on ebay slabbed as ANACS AU58 without any indication of what the mintmaster is. So I had to break the slab to see the edge - and to take a picture as well, since the axial technique does not work with slabs. The coin is on its way to NGC now, let's see what grade they will assign. Comparing it to my other AU58 poltinas from the same period, this one should be higher.

I will say MS-63, possibly MS-64 compared to some other slabbed poltinas I've seen (for example, the 1900 poltina sold in the 2008 NGSA sale which was slabbed MS-64, but to my eyes had obvious rub on the reverse). But it does have a lot of luster, more than any of my AU-slabs.

Archived