CoinPeople.com

2005 Marine Corps 230th Anniversary Silver Dollar

Tiffibunny

901342.jpg

902613.jpg

Year: 2005

Mintage (max.): 600,000

Based on independent market research provided by the recipient organization (the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation), the Secretary exercised his authority (for the first time) to increase the legislated maximum mintage (500,000) to 600,000.

U.S. Mint Facility: Philadelphia

Public Law: 108-291

Obverse

Engraver: Norman E. Nemeth

Description: Historic flag raising on Iwo Jima, Inscriptions: "Marines," "1775," "2005," "In God We Trust," "Liberty."

Reverse

Engraver: Charles L. Vickers

Description: Eagle, Globe and Anchor — the Marine Corps Emblem, thirteen stars. Inscriptions — "Semper Fidelis" (the Marine Corps Motto), "United States of America," "E Pluribus Unum," "One Dollar."

• 1 month later...
Added the Unc.  Boy, it's a beauty!

IMO, this is one of those coins that looks much better in frosty Unc. There's too much field in the design for the proof to look good.

IMO, this is one of those coins that looks much better in frosty Unc.  There's too much field in the design for the proof to look good.

I quite agree. When I opened the Unc I thought it looked much better than the proof.

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful exmples of an outstanding design. I personally prefer the proof. Always have had a soft spot for Commemorative Proofs.

Beautiful exmples of an outstanding design. I personally prefer the proof. Always have had a soft spot for Commemorative Proofs.

I find that interseting! :ninja: You are a collector of the humble cent and prefer old used copper in general, yet you like Proof modern commems. I myself prefer 20th century silver, and other modern designs, yet in terms of US commems I like the Uncs better. Preferences and tastes sure are strange animals aren't they?! ;)

Archived