CoinPeople.com

Possible false 1727 polushka

RW Julian

The dies do not match the illustration in the Corpus:

http://www.ubs.com/2/e/Auctions/ubs-85/auk85.htm, lot 1406

RWJ

They offered it last year, but it didn't sell. Details here in the forum thread "UBS auction is online":

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?/topic/25746-ubs-auction-catalog-is-online/page__view__findpost__p__503278

Definitely the same coin -- you can tell because of the off-centered strike. grivna1726 saved the images from last year's auction.

I tried to tell them that it was a fake, along with about three more fakes (in last year's auction, that is)-- one of which actually sold for about $300 (a 10 kopeck fantasy coin). Never received a reply from them. Didn't bother this year.

They offered it last year, but it didn't sell. Details here in the forum thread "UBS auction is online":

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?/topic/25746-ubs-auction-catalog-is-online/page__view__findpost__p__503278

Definitely the same coin -- you can tell because of the off-centered strike. grivna1726 saved the images from last year's auction.

I tried to tell them that it was a fake, along with about three more fakes (in last year's auction, that is)-- one of which actually sold for about $300 (a 10 kopeck fantasy coin). Never received a reply from them. Didn't bother this year.

Thanks. I had forgotten about the earlier thread.

RWJ

I can't say the name but UBS said thanks to me for letting them know about a fake (1410)coin and promissed to withdraw it immediately and moreover aske me to inform them of anything in the future auctions :art:

I can't say the name but UBS said thanks to me for letting them know about a fake (1410)coin and promissed to withdraw it immediately and moreover aske me to inform them of anything in the future auctions :art:

Must be somebody new and ambitious ... definitely does not correspond to my experience at the previous auction!

I live in Zurich, and the coins were available for personal inspection in Basel last year (or perhaps it was last January, this year?) Since this is just a 1 hour train ride, I decided to go there. When I arrived, I immediately pointed out three of the fake coins to the personnel on duty (probably just novice bank apprentices, very young girls who were so nice and brought me coffee :art: but don't know anything about coins, especially Russian coins). But they promised to pass on the information.

Nothing was removed from the auction, and one coin was even sold! :shock: I wrote them an email when the prices were published after the auction. I even enclosed scans from the Brekke 1997 supplement which depicted one of the fake coins (which was the one that sold). Nothing was ever said, no reply. And here we have the same fake polushka from the previous auction (which didn't sell then, and didn't sell now).

Maybe you could pass this little bit of information to your contact (or do you prefer to have a monopoly on advising the UBS people about fake coins? :evilbanana: It's OK by me, either way...I am done with them after trying to sell many fakes such as this one).

Must be somebody new and ambitious ... definitely does not correspond to my experience at the previous auction!

I live in Zurich, and the coins were available for personal inspection in Basel last year (or perhaps it was last January, this year?) Since this is just a 1 hour train ride, I decided to go there. When I arrived, I immediately pointed out three of the fake coins to the personnel on duty (probably just novice bank apprentices, very young girls who were so nice and brought me coffee :art: but don't know anything about coins, especially Russian coins). But they promised to pass on the information.

Nothing was removed from the auction, and one coin was even sold! :shock: I wrote them an email when the prices were published after the auction. I even enclosed scans from the Brekke 1997 supplement which depicted one of the fake coins (which was the one that sold). Nothing was ever said, no reply. And here we have the same fake polushka from the previous auction (which didn't sell then, and didn't sell now).

Maybe you could pass this little bit of information to your contact (or do you prefer to have a monopoly on advising the UBS people about fake coins? :evilbanana: It's OK by me, either way...I am done with them after trying to sell many fakes such as this one).

if you ever decided to point them out on something pls let me know so we can combine a letter with two signatures and it will work even better than one by one :art:

Archived