CoinPeople.com

1887 Victoria Jubilee Medals

It has taken several years but I have finally obtained all three Queen Victoria Jubilee Medals of 1887. Needless to say, the gold medal was the most difficult. The silver medal was quite hard to aquire in it's condition. The bronze shows up the most but is still rather difficult to find.

I have attached a scan of all three together. Please excuse the obverse scans being a little out of focus. This is due to the high relief of the medal.

The Queens' Jubilee Medal

By Sir J.E. Boehm, L.C. Wyon and Sir Frederick Leighton.

Leighton started by making careful preliminary studies for the figures chosen to symbolize the virtues of Victoria's rule (one of these drawings, of a nude Industry, is now in British Museum). In the centre a figure representing the British Empire is enthroned, with a lion to her right. At her feet lies Mercury, the god of Commerce. Flanking Empire are the personified elements of her greatness: on her left, Industry and Agriculture, and on her right, Science, Letters and Art. The Queen's portrait was designed by Joseph Edgar Boehm (1834-90), the British sculptor and medallist.

The medal was issued between July 1887 and February 1889. The gold and silver medals were struck at the Mint itself, but due to the huge demand, the rest were subcontracted to Messrs Ralph Heaton of Birmingham. They were sold, in fine red leather cases, for £13.13.0 (gold), £2.2.0 (silver) and ten shillings and sixpence (bronze). An enormous number were sold: 944 in gold, 2289 in silver and an incredible 4257 in bronze.

Silver and Bronze Diameter: 78 mm

Silver weight: 7.6 ounces

Gold Diameter: 58mm

Gold weight: 89.5 grams

scan0002.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Congratulations on completing the set Rod.

The gold one is very nice and downright huge at 58mm. Almost 90 grams of gold.

Quite the fancy paperweight!

• 3 weeks later...
It has taken several years but I have finally obtained all three Queen Victoria Jubilee Medals of 1887. Needless to say, the gold medal was the most difficult. The silver medal was quite hard to aquire in it's condition. The bronze shows up the most but is still rather difficult to find.

I have attached a scan of all three together. Please excuse the obverse scans being a little out of focus. This is due to the high relief of the medal.

The Queens' Jubilee Medal

By Sir J.E. Boehm, L.C. Wyon and Sir Frederick Leighton.

Leighton started by making careful preliminary studies for the figures chosen to symbolize the virtues of Victoria's rule (one of these drawings, of a nude Industry, is now in British Museum). In the centre a figure representing the British Empire is enthroned, with a lion to her right. At her feet lies Mercury, the god of Commerce. Flanking Empire are the personified elements of her greatness: on her left, Industry and Agriculture, and on her right, Science, Letters and Art. The Queen's portrait was designed by Joseph Edgar Boehm (1834-90), the British sculptor and medallist.

The medal was issued between July 1887 and February 1889. The gold and silver medals were struck at the Mint itself, but due to the huge demand, the rest were subcontracted to Messrs Ralph Heaton of Birmingham. They were sold, in fine red leather cases, for £13.13.0 (gold), £2.2.0 (silver) and ten shillings and sixpence (bronze). An enormous number were sold: 944 in gold, 2289 in silver and an incredible 4257 in bronze.

Silver and Bronze Diameter: 78 mm

Silver weight: 7.6 ounces

Gold Diameter: 58mm

Gold weight: 89.5 grams

DEAR SIR, GREAT COINS, WHAT WOULD I HAVE TO PAY TO GET A SET OF THESE COINS, IN FAIR CONDITION, MANY THANKS. PAUL

scan0002.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Archived