CoinPeople.com

Newfoundland

sandy3075

I believe only Britain went through the changes in Victorian coin portraits.

Most, if not all of the colonies just used a form of the 'young' portrait, or a more elaborate type including dress used on Indian coinage (similar to the 'gothic' florin obverse).

I only have one Newfoundland piece, a 1944C cent:

895017.jpg

However, I was up at my Friendly Neighborhood Coin Shop yesterday, and they have a lot of the Newfoundland issues, so I may expand that a little. It's not a bug that's really bit me in a meaningful way yet, but it's nibbled. :ninja:

• 8 months later...

A friend of mine at work has almost a complete collection of Newfoundland coinage, even a few of the rare ones.

The half dollars and the $2 gold coins are my favorites. Here is one of his with some incredible toning...

1900_Newfy_20C-1.jpg

1900_Newfy_20C-2.jpg

And here's one of mine...

1166943_Full_Obv.jpg

1166943_Full_Rev.jpg

A friend of mine at work has almost a complete collection of Newfoundland coinage, even a few of the rare ones.

The half dollars and the $2 gold coins are my favorites. Here is one of his with some incredible toning...

Love the dual valuation on the $2 gold. It never occurred to me until now that the large Canadian/Newfoundland cents were the same size as British halfpence, so the 2:1 rate makes perfect sense. Or at least makes counting easy if you have a mix of both.

Love the dual valuation on the $2 gold. It never occurred to me until now that the large Canadian/Newfoundland cents were the same size as British halfpence, so the 2:1 rate makes perfect sense. Or at least makes counting easy if you have a mix of both.

IIRC, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland Victorian 1c just used 1/2d obverse dies with little / no modifications. Same for the NB/NS half cent / UK farthing.

I should add that there were some technicalities. The Canadian dollar was officially $4.86 2/3, which made 1d = 2 1/36c and 1/2d = 1 1/72c

I also think that the NS dollar was converted to Canadian at about 93c (or some other discount <10%), so while coins between the colonies were pretty much interchangable, the notes had premiums or discounts to them.

Archived