CoinPeople.com

1690 medal

Reduced 69%

320 x 240 (7.86K)

Reduced 85%

640 x 480 (28.87K)

hi and good evening to you all, i am looking for some advice if anyone can help me, i have found an 1690 oval medal witch is 58 mm long and 49 mm wide and weighs appox 60 grams. on one side it has a man and woman on it with the words leopoldus et iosephus d.g imper. et rex rom then on the other side there is there of two birds flying from a nest on a rock cliff up to a blazzing sun with the moon and other clouds in the back ground and is scripted with nec rabide solis tede neq cornua lune terrent quin pignus generosum ducat ad alta i have absolutely no idea and if some one out there has your help advice and knowledge would be greatly appreciated this was found amongst some of my late grans things i have no intention of trying to sell and i have already placed this on the coin forum where i received a very helpfull link but it is the only reference to the medal that states its a coronation medal. we have looked endlessly on the internet to find more info but ive found nothing even close, would love to know any history on it and if it is worth anything many thanks for taking your time to read kind regards lisa

thought the pics would come out but they havent they are on the ancient coin forum under lisa1976 thank you

Hi Lisa, the medalist of your medal was Philipp Heinrich Muller if you look careful with a magnifying glass under the bust you should see his initials P.H.M or even P.H.MVLLER.. You can just about see them on the link I posted previously. He engraved your medal for Caspar Gottlier Lauffers series of medals, Lauffer employed many engravers.

LINK

LINK OF IMAGE PREVIOUSLY POSTED

He obviously had a thing about oval medals; image from CoinArchives.

image01154.jpg

Hi Lisa, the medalist of your medal was Philipp Heinrich Muller if you look careful with a magnifying glass under the bust you should see his initials P.H.M or even P.H.MVLLER.. You can just about see them on the link I posted previously. He engraved your medal for Caspar Gottlier Lauffers series of medals, Lauffer employed many engravers.

LINK

LINK OF IMAGE PREVIOUSLY POSTED

He obviously had a thing about oval medals; image from CoinArchives.

image01154.jpg

hi Constanius thank you so much for your help, i did write a letter of thanks to you also on the previous post to let you know that even with hours of searching i just kept hitting a brick wall with this, also as i dont even have a basic knowledge in this field at all it's proven very hard but thanks to you i now have a reference to the medal and a little bit of back ground on it too, to which i am very grateful to you for your time and help,many thanks again lisa

Archived