CoinPeople.com

Collecting Coins of Queen Elizabeth II

Niue Island

NiueCrownA.jpg

NiueCrownB.jpg

Rather unusual commemorative coin featuring Snoopy, although another island that issues commemorative coins, in 2009 a set of coins from 1c-$1 were issued, pictures of these to appear in the next few weeks :ninja:

UPDATE: Niue Islands first set of coins

NiueIslandSetA.jpg

NiueIslandSetB.jpg

I believe that these may only be a commemorative or collectors set of coins but either way I rather like these, completely uncirculated, the designs have a nice amount of detail. I should point out that the white mark on the image of the 20c coin is actually a bit of dirt on the glass that I didn't notice at the time when scanning these.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alderney

AlderneyCrownA.jpg

AlderneyCrownB.jpg

The third island of the Channel Islands that issues coins with it's name on it, however unlike Jersey & Guernsey, Alderney only issue commemorative coins. I only have one from here at the mo, however I do rather like this coin. Celebrating the Diamond Wedding anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II & Prince Philip this was (I believe) the first six sided coin (of the Pound Stirling at least). Personally if they were to replace the £5 note with a £5 coin, this is the shape I'd like it to be although it would need to be smaller size wise, preferably between the £1 & £2 in thickness & diameter.

Seychelles

SeychellesA.jpg

SeychellesB.jpg

A small selection of Seychelles coins, included here are the latter issue 1c & 5c coins, both of which are made of aluminium. The 10c coin here is the same size & weight as the UK Threepence coin. I have a complete set on their way to me at the mo, once I receive them I'll post the pictures :ninja:

UPDATE: Complete set of Seychelles coins

SeychellesCompleteA.jpg

SeychellesCompleteB.jpg

All coins here from 1 cent to 5 rupee, interestingly enough the portrait is only changed for newly added coins which in this case are the shrunken 1c & 5c coins and the new 50p shaped 5 rupees coins, which is one of my favourites.

Isle of Man,

Series 4 is Heraldry (1984-1987)

Series 5 is Technology (1988-1995) rather than industry. Ellan Vannin is the Manx name for the Isle of Man.

The 5p of 1994-1995 was modified to have a pair of golf clubs.

As in Jersey the Isle of Man still has £1 notes - £1 and £2 Isle of Man coins are quite hard to find in change.

The £5 does not circulate to the best of my knowledge - though I suppose it would be possible to spend one.

The 1998 without Triskeles issue was rather odd, it seems the first batch issued did not have the Triskeles, whilst the coins since did. 1p, 2p, 5p and £1 were issued with this 'error' - Krause also lists a 10p but I cannot confirm that it exists.

Commemoratives,

Christmas 50p have been issued for every year since 1980 (two in 2008)

TT 50p were issued 1981-1984, 1999, 2004, 2007 (two), 2009 and 2010.

A special 50p was issued in 1979 and 1980 to commemorate the millennium of the Tynwald (the Manx parliament),

and a 1994 issue commemorated the legislative building centenary.

I do apologise AndyG, I have just seen this post, thanks for all of this information, never realised the 5p had been modified at one point from the windsurfer, do you know what the 10p was for the sports series as I have never seen an example of it anywhere. The £5 info I got from Wikipedia (although I suppose I should know better than believe anything off of that these days :ninja: ).

Ah so the 1998 without the Triskeles is a sort of "error" then, interesting I'll have to look out for those.

As for the commemoratives, I'll have to think about those, there's absolutely loads of them to collect, although the Manx TT ones don't particularly interest me the Christmas ones oddly enough do.

Thanks again for the info ;)

Canada

EDIT: Update to show QEII Canadian coins over the years

CanadaCollectionA.jpg

CanadaCollectionB.jpg

Here is a collection of circulating coins from Canada, in here are several commemorative 50c & $2 coins. Also included are examples of the earlier 5c coin which was 12 sided at one point & was thicker than the current circulating coin & the 1c coin which was round, then was twelve sided & then became round again. Also included is an earlier $1 coin, which I believe was a commemorative only (although I could be wrong)

CanadaA.jpg

CanadaB.jpg

With the exception of the obverse the designs for Canada have more or less been unchanged for over 50 years rather uniquely, for a coin with a monarch's profile. This particular set shown above have a portrait of QEII that is unique to Canada.

Actually, Canada has had four differant effigies of Queen Elizabeth II featured on the obverse (not counting the effigy which only appeared on the 2002 fifty cent piece), and the two most recent of them are limited to Canada.

According to the Canadian Mint's web-site

48290890.jpgbuzbbbgb2kkgrhqvjuev10g.jpg

The effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II changed in 1990 when she was 64 years old. This was the first effigy to be designed by a Canadian, Dora de Pédery-Hunt. This effigy appeared on Canadian coins from 1990 to 2003, surrounded by the Latin inscription ELIZABETH II D G REGINA.

It is very similar to the effigy designed by Raphael Maklouf which was in circulation from 1985 - 1997.

Falkland Islands

FalklandsA.jpg

FalklandsB.jpg

All designs here, except the £2 coin (hopefully to follow in the near future), currently illustrated is the old sized 5p & 10p, the small versions have not changed design. Bonus coin here for the 25th Anniversary of the liberation of the Falkland Islands

falklandfiftypence1977.png

I really like the coins with the coat of arms....

falklandfiftypence1977.png

I really like the coins with the coat of arms....

I do as well, the coat of arms of any country usually works well on coins (Full Royal shield on the 1983, 1993, 1998 & 2003 £1 coins although I think it would have looked better on the 50p coin as can be seen in my avatar, Australian 50c, British Jamaica 1/2 & 1c coins, just several examples that spring to mind).

Also regarding the Canadian coins, interesting that only the 1st & 2nd UK portrait were used by Canada yet the 3rd was a variation & the 4th completely unique. Gibraltar is the only crown dependency to move onto a fifth portrait, which is a hybrid of the 3rd & 4th.

I do as well, the coat of arms of any country usually works well on coins (Full Royal shield on the 1983, 1993, 1998 & 2003 £1 coins although I think it would have looked better on the 50p coin as can be seen in my avatar, Australian 50c, British Jamaica 1/2 & 1c coins, just several examples that spring to mind).

Also regarding the Canadian coins, interesting that only the 1st & 2nd UK portrait were used by Canada yet the 3rd was a variation & the 4th completely unique. Gibraltar is the only crown dependency to move onto a fifth portrait, which is a hybrid of the 3rd & 4th.

Thanks for mentioning the new effigy on the Gibralter coins, went and bought myself one off ebay earlier today.

Here are some "coat of arms" themed coin scans....

britishshillings.png

Great Britain - one shilling (1958, 1961)

jerseyguernsey.png

Bailiwick of Jersey - five shilling (1966)

Bailiwick of Guernsey - twentyfive pense (1978)

greatbritainaustralia.png

Great Britain - half crown (1961)

Australia - fifty cents (1979)

fijiturks.png

Fiji - one dollar (1969)

Turks & Caicos - one crown (1969)

canadajamaica.png

Canada - fifty cents (1965)

Jamaica - one penny (1967)

newzealandsouthernrhode.png

New Zealand - half crown (1962)

Southern Rhodesia - half crown (1954)

fijimauritius.png

Fiji - one florin (1957)

Mauritius - one rupee (1971)

falklandsbermuda.png

Falkland Islands - fifty pense (1977)

Bermuda - one crown (1964)

Here is an interesting coin, ran across it in an older Coin People forum message and decided to look around on ebay for it....

012209lot9b.jpg

012209lot9a.jpg

According to the currency conversion software over at Coinmill.com, this coin only has a face value of 19 cents (US)

Nice, thanks for pointing that one out to me, just got hold of one :ninja:;)

As for crests on coins, yep definitely agree, they work so well, especially on bigger coins.

I hope to have some more up in the next few hours ;)

Fiji

Pre-Decimal

FijiOldA.jpg

FijiOldB.jpg

An incomplete set of pre-decimal Fiji coins, I particularly like the six pence & three pence, Fiji is one of the few places where the three pence was of the same design as the UK version

Decimal

FijiDecimalA.jpg

FijiDecimalB.jpg

Complete set of the currently circulating coins of Fiji, as can be seen the Third portrait of Elizabeth II is still used, Fiji also uses a very unique font on their coins as well, a nice little set IMO

Complete set of the currently circulating coins of Fiji, as can be seen the Third portrait of Elizabeth II is still used, Fiji also uses a very unique font on their coins as well, a nice little set IMO

umm, 1 and 2 cent have been discontinued,

5 - 50 cent revised in 2009 (5 cent slightly larger, 10, 20 and 50 cent reduced)

The 1 Dollar was supposed to be revised too, but I've not heard any more about this and as we're well into 2010 maybe it's been shelved.

umm, 1 and 2 cent have been discontinued,

5 - 50 cent revised in 2009 (5 cent slightly larger, 10, 20 and 50 cent reduced)

The 1 Dollar was supposed to be revised too, but I've not heard any more about this and as we're well into 2010 maybe it's been shelved.

Ah, didn't know that, I haven't seen the new coins on ebay, yet :ninja:

I'll have to seek them out ;)

bs83cwegkkgrhqvjcev10dc.jpgbs82sgegkkgrhqvjuev10g1.jpg

1982 Kiribati $5 commemorative coin

OK, I thought I had found a really neat coin featuring the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II on the reverse side of the coin instead of on the normal obverse side.

kiribati1.png

Then, when I was looking for a nice little definition of "obverse" and "reverse" to add to my message, I ran across the following definition on how to tell which side was which on a coin....

The definition of the obverse of a coin is the front, main, top, or "heads" side of a coin, usually bearing a portrait, and the definition of the reverse is the back, bottom, or "tails" side of a coin.

(1) The obverse has the portrait. If neither side (or both sides) have portraits, try to apply condition 2.

(2) The obverse side is different. In other words, the obverse side doesn't have the "common type." A good example of this is the Euro coin, which doesn't have a portrait. However, each country has its own design on one side, with a design common to all countries on the other side. The coins are said to share the same "reverse," more or less by mutual assent among collectors.

This rule would also apply to a country that has, say, a coat of arms (or some other common device) on its coinage (but no portrait.) If the common device appears on multiple denominations, the side without that device is the obverse.

(3) The side that bears the name of the country is usually considered the obverse in cases where the coin meets neither 1 or 2 above.

This would mean that the portrait of QEII is still on the normal side.

But, what does that do to coins from the Bahamas where the QEII was on the obverse of the various denominations up until 1973, then the effigy was replaced by the Bahamian coat of arms. Does that mean that the reverse side, most of which were unchanged, is now considered the obverse?

bahamas.png

Then again, the name of both countries are on the same side as the coat of arms........ :ninja:

• 5 months later...

Isle of Man,

Series 4 is Heraldry (1984-1987)

Series 5 is Technology (1988-1995) rather than industry. Ellan Vannin is the Manx name for the Isle of Man.

The 5p of 1994-1995 was modified to have a pair of golf clubs.

As in Jersey the Isle of Man still has £1 notes - £1 and £2 Isle of Man coins are quite hard to find in change.

The £5 does not circulate to the best of my knowledge - though I suppose it would be possible to spend one.

The 1998 without Triskeles issue was rather odd, it seems the first batch issued did not have the Triskeles, whilst the coins since did. 1p, 2p, 5p and £1 were issued with this 'error' - Krause also lists a 10p but I cannot confirm that it exists.

Commemoratives,

Christmas 50p have been issued for every year since 1980 (two in 2008)

TT 50p were issued 1981-1984, 1999, 2004, 2007 (two), 2009 and 2010.

A special 50p was issued in 1979 and 1980 to commemorate the millennium of the Tynwald (the Manx parliament),

and a 1994 issue commemorated the legislative building centenary.

You are well read on Manx coins, there is alsoa stand alone 5p coin ehich has a golf ball on the reverse, this was issued specially for the Coin News magazine to give away as a cover gift, and some do occasionally turn up in change.

• 1 year later...

Really great thread! I just recently started collecting coins and it is the coins which feature the effigy of Queen Elizabeth II which has initiated this interest for me.

Anyways, a quick question from a noobie to the forum here, and to the hobby....

Canada released a circulating commemorative 50 cent coin featuring the same effigy used on the 1953 Coronation Medallion, but I can find no reference to who sculpted the image. Can anybody tell me who the artist who designed the obverse for this coin was?

74294684.png

I believe it was GH De Palin.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, haven't been on here in a while, will have to check to see if I have had anything new that I haven't added to this thread, unfortunately it's time to strike one country off the list now, Fiji dropped the Queen's portrait this year unfortunately so we're down a country, I wonder how many more may do this in the near future? :(

• 2 months later...

A Scarce year in the Malaya series, 1957KN 5c. Just acquired recently and hope to have it slab.

Looking forward collect this series of her reign in British Malaya from 1953 - 61 till Malaysia's independence.

QElizabeth5c1957KNcopy_zpsbb79e7d6.jpg

• 10 months later...

I have alot of the coins that have been posted in this thread. Does anybody know where I can find the value of them from?

The easiest quick check on "value" would be to look them up on ebay. Check completed sales and you'll get a pretty decent idea of what you have.