CoinPeople.com

Collecting Coins of Queen Elizabeth II

Tristan da Cunha....

Made for collectors by the Commonwealth mint. TDC uses the St Helena & Ascension Pound.

Lately we have coins also (following the same sizes) for Gough Island and Stoltenhoff Island both unihabited so quite why the penguins need coins is a little beyond me :ninja:

;) I though as much, any coin that bares that prticular portrait is usually a collectors coin, I have to say that I'm rather glad they use a unique portrait rather than an established one, it more or less makes it clear that they are "fantasy" coins. Just found about the Stolentoff Islands coins literally minutes before you mentioned them, although didn't know about the Gough Islands ones. I probably will end up getting hold of a set of each of these, seeing as I have coins baring her portrait from virtually everywhere else, although I'm more interested in getting hold of official coins from other regions such as Fiji & the Seychelles at present ;)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

re: Hong Kong - there was also a 10-sided $5 coin in the mid-1970s. It was withdrawn and replaced with the slightly smaller but thicker $5 coin used today.

Interesting, I shall have to seek one of those out, thanks for the Info :ninja:

Hopefully I'll have more up soon this evening.

Australia

AustraliaA.jpg

AustraliaB.jpg

Complete set of Australian Coins, the 1c & 2c were withdrawn in 1991 with the $1 introduced in 1984 & the $2 introduced in 1988, other than that apart from commemorative 20c, 50c & $1 coins Australian Coins haven't really changed at all since introduction in 1966. At the bottom is a bonus 50c coin, which is similar to the standard one but seems to have an "updated design" although latter coins have the traditional design. Missing from this picture, the round 50c which had a short life due to high silver content in the coin.

AustraliaCommemorativeA.jpg

AustraliaCommemorativeB.jpg

A selection of commemorative 50c coins from Australia along with a commemorative 20c coin, Australia also issue commemorative $1 coins as well, I don't have any of those unfortunately.

Gibraltar

Gibraltar1p-50pA.jpg

Gibraltar1p-50pB.jpg

Gibraltar1-2A.jpg

Gibraltar1-2B.jpg

A collection of Gibraltar coins from over the years, I'm not sure however what belongs to what series before the 2004 series as it seems some coins never changed design beforehand however other lower values changed quite regularly.

Gibraltar2004A.jpg

Gibraltar2004B.jpg

2004 saw Gibraltar celebrate it's Tercentenary & a new set of coins issued for the region, Gibraltar now has a unique QEII portrait on their coins which is a hybrid of the 3rd & 4th portraits. Interestingly enough, if you look closely at the Obverse side, you can see that several coins have been "under-struck" and so the detail on several coins, in particular the 5p. I hope to have scans of parts of the previous series (I believe there are two other sets, one previous one since this issue) up in the next few weeks.

Mauritius

MauritiusA-1.jpg

MauritiusB-1.jpg

Coins are no longer issued with Queen Elizabeth's portrait, however coins with the same reverses are still issued to this day, above is the complete set issued with QEII's portrait. The Quarter Rupee is not only my favourite design of this set but one of my favourite coins of all time.

Gibraltar....

Coins now produced by the Tower Mint (London), prior to 2004 it was by Pobjoy Mint.

The owner of the Tower mint is Raphael Maklouf who designed the 1985 portrait for the Royal Mint.

The portrait on the coins of Gibraltar is a sort of modernised version of the 1985 portrait....

There have also been some one off commemoratives in recent years, marketed by Westminster collections ltd.

Including a 2004 series of 50p for Battles, and a 2007 2p and £2 for the diamond wedding anniversary (Elizabeth + Phillip)

New Zealand

Quite a few different sets here, Pre-decimal, old decimal & new decimal. I would like to apologies for the angle of some of these coins, unfortunately this is the angle they are in the sealed packs & I can't get them to change round unfortunately.

NewZealandPre-DecimalA.jpg

NewZealandPre-DecimalB.jpg

Full set of pre-decimal coins, this is a complete sealed souvenir set from 1967, favourite coin the Half Crown, lots of lovely detail in that one :ninja:

NewZealandDecimalA.jpg

NewZealandDecimalB.jpg

NewZealand20cA.jpg

NewZealand20cB.jpg

Original set of decimal coins originally introduced in the late 60's (this set is dated 1978) with a commemorative $1 crown, all coins in this set have since been withdrawn. The 1c & 2c were taken out of circulation on the 1st May 1990, the 5c was withdrawn on 31st October 2006, the larger 10c, 20c & 50c were also withdrawn on the 31st October 2006 although unlike the 5c they were replaced with new smaller designs (see below). The 10c originally had the legend "1 Shilling" on the coin along with the "10", however this was eventually dropped, the design however remained the same. The Kiwi was dropped from the 20c in 1990 as the new $1 coin carried a Kiwi design, this design can now be seen above.

NewZealandDecimalNewA.jpg

NewZealandDecimalNewB.jpg

This set is 29 years on from the above set, as can be seen the 10c has been shrunk & is of a copper coloured metal (of the same size as the UK 1p), the 20c (showing the design introduced in 1990) is now smaller & is of a "Spanish rose" shape (used on the 10pts Spanish coin & 20 Euro Cent coin), the 50c is also noticeably smaller. The $1 & $2 coins are also shown here, however (prior to the change in size to the NZ coins) these aren't of the same shape & size of the Australian $1 & $2 coins like the rest of the NZ coins were before the size change.

Rhodesia

EDIT: Rescanned to now include the Florin coin, completing this set.

RhodesiaCompleteA.jpg

RhodesiaCompleteB.jpg

The final set of Rhodesian coins issued with the Queen's portrait (Florin now added). These coins are rather interesting for two aspects, firstly they were one of the first coins to depict the new portrait of the Queen (The Gambia been the other in 1966, Britain itself didn't use this portrait until 1968), secondly these coins are dual-denominated (with the exception of the Threepence which was added in 1968). Unfortunately like the previous coins of Rhodesia & Nyasaland they had a relatively short life.

Although I posted the Bahamas variants in one posting, the coins for the various Rhodesian set ups I will post separately.

That's all for now, more soon.

Gibraltar....

Coins now produced by the Tower Mint (London), prior to 2004 it was by Pobjoy Mint.

The owner of the Tower mint is Raphael Maklouf who designed the 1985 portrait for the Royal Mint.

The portrait on the coins of Gibraltar is a sort of modernised version of the 1985 portrait....

There have also been some one off commemoratives in recent years, marketed by Westminster collections ltd.

Including a 2004 series of 50p for Battles, and a 2007 2p and £2 for the diamond wedding anniversary (Elizabeth + Phillip)

That explains the hybrid/modernised version of the portrait, the earlier ones seem to suffer from being under-stamped, however coins issued with this portrait of latter dates seem to be stuck stronger. I shall have to have a look out for several of these commemorative coins as well, again thanks for the info :ninja:

Huh... the Mauritius 1, 2 and 5 cent coins are identical to Seychelles coins of the same era (not sure about the higher denominations as I don't have any of them) -- except of course for saying 'Mauritius' rather than 'Seychelles'. One of the charms of Commonwealth coinage is that the reverses differ from country to country, usually displaying something local. I can't think of another instance of this among Commonwealth issues.

Huh... the Mauritius 1, 2 and 5 cent coins are identical to Seychelles coins of the same era (not sure about the higher denominations as I don't have any of them) -- except of course for saying 'Mauritius' rather than 'Seychelles'. One of the charms of Commonwealth coinage is that the reverses differ from country to country, usually displaying something local. I can't think of another instance of this among Commonwealth issues.

Seychelles,

Prior to 1903 they were a dependency of Mauritius, from 1903 becoming a separate colony but using the Mauritius currency. From 1939, new 10, 25 cents and ½ and 1 Rupee were issued, but Mauritius 1,2 and 5 cents continued to be used. It was not until 1948 that the Seychelles issued 1,2 and 5 cents and when they did the continued with the Mauritius design. I believe the coins to have been interchangeable across both territories until independence.

Seychelles,

Prior to 1903 they were a dependency of Mauritius, from 1903 becoming a separate colony but using the Mauritius currency. From 1939, new 10, 25 cents and ½ and 1 Rupee were issued, but Mauritius 1,2 and 5 cents continued to be used. It was not until 1948 that the Seychelles issued 1,2 and 5 cents and when they did the continued with the Mauritius design. I believe the coins to have been interchangeable across both territories until independence.

I'll be honest I think I was lucky when I got that complete set of Mauritius coins, I have had a lot of trouble trying to get hold of coins from the Seychelles, Fiji, Southern Rhodesia, Rhodesia & Nyasaland and The Gambia in all honesty, in particular the Seychelles and Rhodesia & Nyasaland. However I have manage to get hold of Niue's first set of coins from 2009, pictures up as soon as I get them :ninja:

Seychelles,

Learn something new every day. Thanks! :ninja:

Learn something new every day. Thanks! :ninja:

I also learnt (after searching out for Seychelles coins since those posts above) that they eventually got their own 1c & 5c coins, as soon as they arrive I'll post pictures of them ;)

A few more tonight, not many mind as I wasn't really in the mood for scanning much tonight (it's very muggy weather wise over here in the UK tonight), there's also an update to the Cook Islands post as well, should all be up within the next half hour ;)

Jamaica

JamaicaA.jpg

JamaicaB.jpg

Jamaica is a bit of an oddity when it comes to regional coins, only three coin denominations ever carried the Jamaica name, the Farthing, Half Penny & One Penny. When it came to Elizabeth II's reign however the Farthing had already been dropped meaning only two Jamaican coins ever bared her portrait. However during her short reign over Jamaica she had three versions of each coin, shown above is the first series & on it's way within the next few days will be the third series from her reign. Not much else to add really as there doesn't seem to be that much info out there regarding Jamaican coins under British rule.

UPDATE: Third Set Added

JamaicaLastSetA.jpg

JamaicaLastSetB.jpg

And so we come to the third & last set of coins issued with QEII's portrait, not much different from the second series, this series however celebrates the centenery of British Jamaican coins, however these coins didn't enter circulation for very long as Jamaica became independent soon afterwards

Jersey

Several series here for Jersey

Pre-Decimal

JerseyPre-DecimalA.jpg

JerseyPre-DecimalB.jpg

A selection of pre-decimal Jersey coins, the first 1/12th shilling & first two 1/4th shilling coins are standard issues, the other three are commemoratives. I believe only these coins were issued in Jersey pre-decimal although please correct me if I'm wrong.

The decimal series:

Series 1

JerseyOldDesignsA.jpg

JerseyOldDesignsB.jpg

Here is an incomplete set from the first series of decimal coins, which were minted between the late 60's-1980, the designs for each coin were exactly the same. Shown here is the 1/2p, 1p, 2p, old sized 10p and a special commemorative £1 coin of a rounded diamond shape. Guernsey also had their own commemorative from around about the same time.

UPDATE: Series 2 added

Series 2

JerseySeries2A.jpg

JerseySeries2B.jpg

Complete series 2 which was very short lived, I believe this was only used for a few years although this could possibly be the only year these were issued. The design is virtually the same as Series 1 except the word "new" is absent & the year is split either side of the shield

Series 3

JerseyThirdSeriesA.jpg

JerseyThirdSeriesB.jpg

Virtually complete set of the current Jersey coins (only the defunct 1/2p is missing), as can be seen here the designs are much more varied that the first set. Included here is the old sized 50p & the 1982 20p, which has the date on the back (see if you can find the date, explains why it was moved to the front). Of all of the crown dependencies Jersey's coins circulate in the UK the most commonly, along with Guernsey.

Jersey1CoinsA.jpg

Jersey1CoinsB.jpg

Finally the £1 "Bailiwick" series when ran throughout the 80's, unfortunately I only have 7 of the 12 coins at the mo, I hope to get the rest in the near future. :ninja:

I quite like the Jersey coins!

Thanks :ninja:, any ones in particular? I personally like the £1 series of the 80's, I hope to get the rest of these at some point, unfortunately I got a lot of these this time last year, I then stopped collecting coins about September 2009 & didn't start again until April/May this year, of which when I went back to the shop they had all been unfortunately sold.

Oddly enough for me Jersey is one of my least favourites, but that's only because they appear so often over here, with the exception of the £2 coin understandably & oddly enough the 2p coin, the rest are rather common. As I think I mentioned several times above Isle Of Man is my favourite of the crown dependencies if only because they refresh them quite often, however the current design has been in use since 2004/5, which I believe is the longest running series of the lot.

I hope to get the Isle Of Man ones up this weekend, I think there's at least five different series for here, although there could be more ;)

Thanks :ninja:, any ones in particular? I personally like the £1 series of the 80's, I hope to get the rest of these at some point, unfortunately I got a lot of these this time last year, I then stopped collecting coins about September 2009 & didn't start again until April/May this year, of which when I went back to the shop they had all been unfortunately sold.

Oddly enough for me Jersey is one of my least favourites, but that's only because they appear so often over here, with the exception of the £2 coin understandably & oddly enough the 2p coin, the rest are rather common. As I think I mentioned several times above Isle Of Man is my favourite of the crown dependencies if only because they refresh them quite often, however the current design has been in use since 2004/5, which I believe is the longest running series of the lot.

I hope to get the Isle Of Man ones up this weekend, I think there's at least five different series for here, although there could be more ;)

Jersey,

I've found more Jersey £1 coins in the UK than I have on Jersey, they still use £1 notes, the coins are seldom seen. I've never found a Jersey £2 coin on the island though I'm told they are there. Guernsey and Isle of Man are similar.

Jersey,

I've found more Jersey £1 coins in the UK than I have on Jersey, they still use £1 notes, the coins are seldom seen. I've never found a Jersey £2 coin on the island though I'm told they are there. Guernsey and Isle of Man are similar.

You are quite right, I used to go to Jersey for a fortnight every year for sixteen years on the trot and I did not come across many £1 coins. The £1 notes are more favourable, apparently.

The '80s £1 are neat, but the regular £1 with the ship and the 20p with the lighthouse are quite neat to me.

All I've got to show for the measly £200 or so of coin that I've handled over the past year is a 2004 Gibraltar pound.

Jersey,

You are quite right, I used to go to Jersey for a fortnight every year for sixteen years on the trot and I did not come across many £1 coins. The £1 notes are more favourable, apparently.

Interesting, I did always wonder why £1 coins from Jersey were in such a good condition even when they were near 10 years old, this explains why ;)

heh jersey, IOM usualy pop up here. they have differant designs on every denomination have fun with isle of man lol

anyway i got these

and gibralter seems to pop up in change for some reason.

966303.jpg

974806.jpg

975086.jpg

978788.jpg

Ooh never seen that £1 before, I'll have to keep an eye out for that one ;)

BTW did you just mention IOM, well you'll be please to know that I've just scanned my entire collection, dear God did that take for ever :ninja:

The '80s £1 are neat, but the regular £1 with the ship and the 20p with the lighthouse are quite neat to me.

All I've got to show for the measly £200 or so of coin that I've handled over the past year is a 2004 Gibraltar pound.

Ah OK, fair enough, I see those two over here so often that to me there just like the standard £1 & 20p coins to me, oddly enough the borderless Jersey 20p in London is fairly common for some reason.

Anyway a few more up in a mo ;)