Post your Jeffersons

Art

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a proof Jefferson from my collection. This coin has a fantastic overall golden tone to it. Really a beautiful coin.

6745668623_bb4527f1f2_z.jpg

1974S 5C PF68UC obv by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

Couldn't get the reverse to display in the same post. Must be something I'm doing that doesn't work in the new format.

6745672615_e0c9d69d2c_z.jpg

1974S 5C PF68UC rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

5 "S" Mint Nickels

1941 1943 (2) 1969 1970

2 from CoinStar 3 from circulation today

Nice haul. :bthumbsup:

Chad,

Jeffersons are a lot of fun. Great coins are pretty much available. Have fun with this set and keep us updated on your progress.

Chad,

Jeffersons are a lot of fun. Great coins are pretty much available. Have fun with this set and keep us updated on your progress.

I will keep everyone updated. I am in the process of buying a good camera so I can also put up some much needed pictures that I keep promising the forum.

Well I just finished my silver washington quarter collection in AU-BU now I am tackling Jefferson's after seeing these pretty posts

Jeffs are a blast to collect. They converted me from my agnosticism on toning. There's no killers (unless you're going for the major known errors or strictly FS), and the glow of a vintage Jeff in MS is unlike any other modern American coin -- well, that's probably not a surprise given that it has a metal content unlike any other.

Also, I'm with you on golf. :D

There's no killers (unless you're going for the major known errors or strictly FS), and the glow of a vintage Jeff in MS is unlike any other modern American coin -- well, that's probably not a surprise given that it has a metal content unlike any other.

The Jefferson nickel is made out of the same stuff as the outer layers of the clad coinage--25 percent nickel, 75 percent copper. Hardly "unlike any other." So from the standpoint of the surface appearance, it shouldn't be any different, at least not due to the fabric.

However, they can be up to 26 years older. And maybe the field is more or less concave than on the quarter or dime; that could make a difference.

The Jefferson nickel is made out of the same stuff as the outer layers of the clad coinage--25 percent nickel, 75 percent copper. Hardly "unlike any other." So from the standpoint of the surface appearance, it shouldn't be any different, at least not due to the fabric.

However, they can be up to 26 years older. And maybe the field is more or less concave than on the quarter or dime; that could make a difference.

Huh. I thought it was a different composition, mainly because I haven't seen clad coins tone the same way that nickels do, even the ones from the 60s when they were still deeply sculpted. I wonder if that has to do with being a copper sandwich rather than being a solid piece...

True, there is a copper layer well under the cupronickel face... but I can't see why that should matter; it's well away from the surface of the coin. Of course one always does learn new things (or one is dead).

On second thought: One possibility, that would apply in very closed (or even airtight) environments is that the copper band visible around the edge (which tones up to a dirty look that is ugly in circulation) could be soaking up whatever air contaminants or even oxygen, that cause toning, thereby preventing them from affecting the cupronickel. On a nickel, of course, the contaminants and oxygen have no choice but to react to the cupronickel, which they will eventually do.

I suppose I could dig up my late 60s-early 70s mint and proof sets and compare the nickel to the dime and quarter. That will control for age.

At the local coin show today I finished my War Nickels in BU pics to come as soon as my new camera comes in the mail

Congratulations. The war nickels make a nice set in themselves.

When I finish with my Roosevelt Proofs PCGS Set, I'm going to concentrate on my Jefferson Proofs PCGS set. Added this today.

6798924611_a576d8f706_z.jpg

1981S 5C Type2 PR69DCAM obv by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

6798928065_05ee24a65e_z.jpg

1981S 5C Type2 PR69DCAM rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

True, there is a copper layer well under the cupronickel face... but I can't see why that should matter; it's well away from the surface of the coin. Of course one always does learn new things (or one is dead).

On second thought: One possibility, that would apply in very closed (or even airtight) environments is that the copper band visible around the edge (which tones up to a dirty look that is ugly in circulation) could be soaking up whatever air contaminants or even oxygen, that cause toning, thereby preventing them from affecting the cupronickel. On a nickel, of course, the contaminants and oxygen have no choice but to react to the cupronickel, which they will eventually do.

I suppose I could dig up my late 60s-early 70s mint and proof sets and compare the nickel to the dime and quarter. That will control for age.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of the electromotive potential between the pure copper and the cupronickel layers as a toning inhibitor -- just as a theory, I'm no physicist or a metallurgist, but it's the most obvious structural difference between a nickel and clad coinage and the simplest interaction that's a direct result of that difference.

I can think of seeing several sets where the nickel was well and truly toned, and the clads were barely, if at all, so I suspect there's something going on.

Here's a nice Jefferson from my collection. I've had the coin a while but just photographed it yesterday.

6812085381_510d3b34c2_z.jpg

1979S 5C Type 1 PR69DCAM obv by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

6812089187_698aea5705_z.jpg

1979S 5C Type 1 PR69DCAM rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

Not too implausible now that you mention it. It would be an interesting question to ask a real expert. Which I surely ain't.

Me either. I wonder if I should be looking for a coin expert specializing in toning, or a metallurgist who happens to be a collector... :D

Me either. I wonder if I should be looking for a coin expert specializing in toning, or a metallurgist who happens to be a collector... :D

There was an interesting book about toning and such written a few years ago. As I recall the author had some discussion about these types of things. Ah well! The memory it fails me once again.

I believe it was called "Coin Chemistry" by Weimar W. White. But if focuses almost entirely on silver, and paging through it I see nothing whatsoever about the cupronickel alloy we are discussing--other than a report on deliberately exposing coins in a 1996 proof set to hydrogen sulfide (they toned heavily in only an hour). An index would make this certain, but there isn't one.

I believe it was called "Coin Chemistry" by Weimar W. White. But if focuses almost entirely on silver, and paging through it I see nothing whatsoever about the cupronickel alloy we are discussing--other than a report on deliberately exposing coins in a 1996 proof set to hydrogen sulfide (they toned heavily in only an hour). An index would make this certain, but there isn't one.

I think that's the book I was referring to but you're probably right about the content. I could be remembering info from other articles/writeups and such.