• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a great thread Art

Alan

CF2cWRQBWkKGrHqQOKo0E0flOvQubBNWYRg45w_12.jpg

Gotta love a PR69DCAM Jefferson. Dang they're attractive coins.

Here's a nice full-stop Jefferson from my collection.

997967.jpg

It's hard to tell much from this picture. I'll load a larger higher res image to flickr later today.

Here's a nice full-stop Jefferson from my collection.

997967.jpg

It's hard to tell much from this picture. I'll load a larger higher res image to flickr later today.

Here's the same coin from my flicr files at a higher resolution. I think it looks much better.

6477294217_66252c50dd_z.jpg

1941 MS65FS obv by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

6477298649_dd17fd1a19_z.jpg

1941 MS65FS rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

You really have got to love a Jefferson Nickel in silver.

6477334349_2aa9442f57_z.jpg

1945S MS65 obv by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

6477340103_17a26ddfa7_z.jpg

1945S MS65 rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

And a few more.

998504.jpg

998502.jpg

Still having a bit of trouble getting the white balance right on these. The slabs really are white white not this tanish color.

Here's a Jefferson War Nickel in an old ANACs slab. I liked the old ANACs slabs and have quite a few of my Indian Head Cents in them. I was not pleased when they switched to their newer format as they no longer fit the Intercept Shield boxes that I use to house my IHCs that are ANACs.

998733.jpg

MS64 with 5 full steps. It's a pretty nice nickel.

• 3 weeks later...

only added a few Jeffersons to omnicoin lately but they're nice ones.

2007S Jefferson Nickel PF69UC - NGC

999921.jpg

The image really doesn't even come close to doing justice to this proof. It is absolutely electric.

I like the Jeffersons a lot. Great coins Steve. I like the old Jefferson portrait more than the new design.

I do like the way they brought out the detail in Monticello on the new reverse. It stands out even to a casual glance. The new portrait I am basically neutral on--I could go either way--but at least it isn't ugly like some of the presidential dollar portraits.

I was half expecting that they'd re-do Lincoln in the same style in 2010, and Washington as well at the conclusion of the state quarters, but they clearly didn't in the case of the cent, and I doubt there will ever be a regular-issue quarter ever again--the special interests have latched onto it and under _current_ law these national forest and seashore quarters could run through 2030 (ye gods). By which time they may well have inflated away to zero face value.

I do like the way they brought out the detail in Monticello on the new reverse. It stands out even to a casual glance. The new portrait I am basically neutral on--I could go either way--but at least it isn't ugly like some of the presidential dollar portraits.

I was half expecting that they'd re-do Lincoln in the same style in 2010, and Washington as well at the conclusion of the state quarters, but they clearly didn't in the case of the cent, and I doubt there will ever be a regular-issue quarter ever again--the special interests have latched onto it and under _current_ law these national forest and seashore quarters could run through 2030 (ye gods). By which time they may well have inflated away to zero face value.

I think the new design of the Jeff looks good on the matte uncirculateds, especially since the coin has no sculptural depth anymore. I'm not convinced on the proofs, though. The cameos look like they were added later, and the fields are too flat. They're like a hand mirror, not a telescope mirror. If I could make any one change to our coinage, it would be to return to more deeply sculpted designs.

PF70 Ultra Cameo --- that's a great coin. I've mentioned before but can't hurt to be redundant - I think the NGC holders and the old ANACS holders - white background against the coin, are far visually much nicer than the PCGS and other "clear" holders.

Agree, Art. I guess the clear ones are cheaper though - and kind of let you see the rims

Seeing the rims is important - sometimes and to some people - and NGC & PCGS both have new holders that allow that to a great extent.

Here's an NGC with rim view.

1000691.jpg

Here's one of the PCGS slabs that allows rim view.

998115.jpg

Sometimes for very small/thin coins, the white part of the older NGC holder really overhangs the coin quite a bit, making photography a bit of a challenge. And of course their new holder that lets you see most of the edge covers parts of the rim! Apparently if you send a coin to NGC today it will get into one of these holders. The PCGS plastic shown in the previous post at least is translucent enough that it won't be distracting in a photograph.

For whatever reason I have always found the PCGS holders more attractive, but obviously Art's mileage differs.

I just lost 8 ebay auctions for Jeffersons -- my snipes all came up short and interestingly I lost to other snipers in each case. That's a lot of snipers for fairly low priced common coins.