CoinPeople.com

Besides eBay....

Burks

Where are my fellow darksiders getting their coins from online? Got any favorite sites? How about auction sites? I'm looking to expand my collection but eBay just isn't providing me with what I want.

Thanks.

Thanks you two!

Any good places that are auction sites like Teletrade?

I am finding Teletrade has been my new friend lately, if you look around on there you can find some unbelievable buys - lots of stuff seemingly gets overlooked, but I will not share what - my little secret since I buy :ninja:

Are there specific types of coins you are looking for? I can suggest where to go if you have specific wants. Unfortunately for me, my collection is an ADHD paradise - but another hobby has taken precedence in the last few months - model railroading so my coin and banknote stuff is getting sidelined.

My main areas include (the most popular.....go figure):

- Germany

- Austria

- Switzerland

- France

- Italy

Starting to gain interest in:

- Bolivia

- Hungary

- Brazil

- Russia

Far East coinage is of little interest to me. Same goes for African (even though I am fascinated by Egypt).

For those first five choices really really really need to check out ma-shops.com - it is a German site, but there is a lot of English. It is the European equivalent of Vcoins.com with all European dealers. There is a lot of high end stuff but also a lot of affordable stuff.

For those first five choices really really really need to check out ma-shops.com - it is a German site, but there is a lot of English. It is the European equivalent of Vcoins.com with all European dealers. There is a lot of high end stuff but also a lot of affordable stuff.

Whoa! Awesome! I have to brush up on my German a bit though.

100511115bz.jpg

That for ~$35? Um......yes please!

My main areas include (the most popular.....go figure):

- Germany

- Austria

- Switzerland

- France

- Italy

Starting to gain interest in:

- Bolivia

- Hungary

- Brazil

- Russia

Far East coinage is of little interest to me. Same goes for African (even though I am fascinated by Egypt).

Have you browsed the auctions at www.sixbid.com? How about Heritage?

Heritage is a good one, I haven't actually won anything from there yet, but it's a pretty good spot for a variety of coins.

I just browsed around sixbid.com. It's a French site for the most part it seems, I'm having trouble understanding some pages. If I am reading it right, it's a 20% Buyer's Premium (including VAT) for all buyers? I don't imagine this covers shipping as well, but I can't find any reference to shipping costs :ninja:

Heritage is a good one, I haven't actually won anything from there yet, but it's a pretty good spot for a variety of coins.

I just browsed around sixbid.com. It's a French site for the most part it seems, I'm having trouble understanding some pages. If I am reading it right, it's a 20% Buyer's Premium (including VAT) for all buyers? I don't imagine this covers shipping as well, but I can't find any reference to shipping costs :ninja:

Sixbid is a bulletin board for auction houses. It's not just one venue. There are auctions from all over, for example Künker and Gorny & Mosch in Germany, but also Baldwins and Ponterio and the NY Sale are usually posted there. Buyer's premium varies depending on venue, but usually 15% plus VAT = approx. 20%, as you said. But this is normal for just about all auctions except for a few such as JF Elmen's World-Wide Coins of California (and eBay, of course).

Well I did actually win two coins off eBay within the past two days. What I think were pretty good deals:

Bolivia : 50 Centavos - 1901/0 overdate. Looks to be in VF or so. We'll see what it looks like in hand. Paid almost 1/2 Krause book value from 2003 and $4 over melt. So either way, looks to be a good deal.

Hungary: 2 Filler - 1965. Key date, 540k mintage. I'd call it AU from the photos but again, we'll see. Paid less than VF book value from 2003.

Both should be here tomorrow or the day after I hope.

The upcoming Goldberg Pre-Long Beach auction has some amazing world coins, most well out of my price range but there are a few that I have my eye on.

They sent me the catalog but eventually it will be online.

Session 4 = Ancient

Session 5 = World Gold (the stuff that dreams are made of...)

Session 6 = World Crowns and Minors

Here is the link...

http://www.goldbergcoins.com/currentauction/index2.shtml

Quick question regarding Teletrade:

If I were to win an auction, it's a minimum $8 buyers fee correct?

Just wondering. Few coins I might try to bid on tonight. Want to factor in the additional minimum of almost $13 after buyers fee and P/H.

Well I did actually win two coins off eBay within the past two days. What I think were pretty good deals:

Bolivia : 50 Centavos - 1901/0 overdate. Looks to be in VF or so. We'll see what it looks like in hand. Paid almost 1/2 Krause book value from 2003 and $4 over melt. So either way, looks to be a good deal.

Hungary: 2 Filler - 1965. Key date, 540k mintage. I'd call it AU from the photos but again, we'll see. Paid less than VF book value from 2003.

Both should be here tomorrow or the day after I hope.

The Hunfary 1965 2 filler is severly overvalued and not that hard to get in UNC. They were used in at least one type of 1960s promotional item. (ala Cracker Jack or cereal box items) I think I last sold one for $2.

I just browsed around sixbid.com. It's a French site for the most part it seems, I'm having trouble understanding some pages.

chrome users can get the google translate extension ... when it senses a language other than your regular browsing language it asks you if you want it translated ... click on the button and it does exactly that. not always a flawless interpretation but beats guessing..

chrome users can get the google translate extension ... when it senses a language other than your regular browsing language it asks you if you want it translated ... click on the button and it does exactly that. not always a flawless interpretation but beats guessing..

Actually that is the browser I normally use, but went back to firefox lately. The language translation helped a bit, more than my French studies from a decade or more ago at least!

I ended up bidding on an item, waiting for the results now.

Look at other online auction sites like ebid and bonanzle, they have less traffic so you may pick up a bargain. Not to just be self serving but I have a few up on ebid myself: my ebid store

A little known one, the Ancient Peddler group on yahoo holds a weekly live auction in a chat room. This week there are 32 items up for bid including ancient, world and US coins. I see Russia, Libya, Portugal, Egypt, Austria, Hungary, and Germany on offer. The auction starts at 2pm Eastern US time, runs until done, and charges no fees for buying or selling. You can see the items available here: AP auction gallery and to participate go to the auction chat site, choose the sunday auction room, I suggest the js stream emulator, and create a nickname. You will have to send your contact info privately to one of the moderators, they will contact you.

Ben

I've looked on ebid a few times recently. For Canadian coins it's full of overpriced junk. Mainly circulated coins from the last 25 years, for 3x their face value, sometimes more.

Yeah, for any site you have to know what you are looking at, and what it is worth! You get some real crap out there!

Archived