Collecting Animals Banknotes

see323

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the tigers on the Straights Settlements. I put them on my "want list".

Good choice of notes but they are expensive especially those $5 from 1925 to 1930 series and not easy to find them in high grades (AUNC-UNC). In my 23 years of banknote collecting, I only spotted three of them for sales in the late 1980s. I purchase one of them for my collection.

For those who are not residing in Singapore, they may think that the birds in the Singapore bird series are common to Singapore in the wild. Not entirely true. The tern depicted on the $1 is not so common as these are migrating birds. Usually found in coastal areas stretching from China to Australia. I have yet to see one in Singapore.

As for the sharma ($50), bulbul ($5), these are song birds kept by Singaporean. They are not in the wild. The $20 sunbird is a common bird in Singapore. The female are greenish yellow while the male ones with purple throated. I once caught a male bird. After studying it for 2 days and fed with honey, I released it.

There are a number of species of kingfisher found in Singapore. The $10 white collar kingfisher is a common bird in Singapore. They have distinctive calls. Even if you don't see them, you can hear them. You can find them easily in places where there are water.

As for the $100 bee eater, I have yet to see one. Maybe I did not search hard enough. Here is a photo of the colourful blue tailed bee eater spotted and photographed in Changi by Charlie.

beeeater.jpg

I've seen some amazing notes here! THey're all great, and make for an amazing notaphilic zoo. I've been looking through mine this evening, and while I have too many to list them all here, but I've got a few of my favorites to show based solely on artistic merit. Personally, I think there needs be more dogs, after all they're mans best friend, right? Unless you're a postal worker I suppose.

Colombia - Beautiful, colorful birds

13zo5t0.jpg

Chad - More birds

28jwqpt.jpg

Denmark - the common House Sparrow. Fanfare for the common bird - Gotta' like that, eh? Hm.... kinda' going for the Alfred Hitchcock Theme here?

35iu9dz.jpg

Djibouti Nice Artwork for an ugly mammal.

iw17hy.jpg

And Last but not least (cuz I'm tired and have too many too choose from)

Scotland - A wee mousy!

35bzbzm.jpg