CoinPeople.com

Classic russian rarity coins 1700-1917

one-kuna

To me ""Russian classic rarity" means that there would be many, many people who would wish to have it in their collection. And every time a coin like that comes on the market we all would be talking about it.

In the case of coins you mentioned - I do not want/need them. So you know what my answer is. If they were 1763 and 1765 with no mintmark - then YES!

I want the 1767 SPM :ninja:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Greetings, I'm semi-retired and I'm just starting to go through my wife's (father and grandfather) collection of about 300 Russian imperial coins. Gold, silver, copper, a wide mix ranging from 1/2 kopecks to 10 rubles, 1752-1916. I'm neither 'forum' literate nor have I ever collected a single coin of any type. Can anyone recommend a book or reference work for a newbie? I'd like to start the task of understanding what we have. Thanks!

Welcome to coinpeople!

Perhaps start a new topic, for a discussion on reference books, (it has been covered here in the past, so searching old topics may be helpful, and then if you reply to an old topic, it will come up to the top of the topic list if you dont want to start fresh)

If you post up scans or photos of specific coins, you will im sure get many questions answered here as well!

:ninja:

I think that depends on how deeply you would like to get involved. You can by the Bitkin catalog, which is a popular if not the standard reference. It is a grand, and complex edition that can set you back $250.

If you are just interested in figuring out a value estimate of your coins, you can by the 2010 edition of the Conros price guide – which should not cost more than $40.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate the information! I'll probably spend time re-organizing them in new binder pages and get the guide you mentioned. My wife's father/grandfather were Russian but she has no emotional tie to the coins. Most of the coins were collected 1930-1965, here and in Europe. Thanks again!

Welcome to coinpeople!

Perhaps start a new topic, for a discussion on reference books, (it has been covered here in the past, so searching old topics may be helpful, and then if you reply to an old topic, it will come up to the top of the topic list if you dont want to start fresh)

If you post up scans or photos of specific coins, you will im sure get many questions answered here as well!

:ninja:

Excellent, thank you! Will do!

another consideration of "russian classic rarity"

ruble 1802 SPB-AII, Bitkin 28 ( no rarity )

however,

in excellent condition XF ($5000) - most folks wanted - can be called "russian classic rarity"

in very fine condition VF ($850) - less folks wanted - typical series coin

in very good condition G+ ($...) - who wanted this coin, and of course does not fall to a category "russian classic rarity" :ninja:

"Classic rarity" enthusiasts can try to get an undisputable representative of this kind at the upcoming WWCC (5 k 1839, R3).

thank you :ninja:

another consideration of "russian classic rarity"

ruble 1802 SPB-AII, Bitkin 28 ( no rarity )

however,

in excellent condition XF ($5000) - most folks wanted - can be called "russian classic rarity"

in very fine condition VF ($850) - less folks wanted - typical series coin

in very good condition G+ ($...) - who wanted this coin, and of course does not fall to a category "russian classic rarity" ;)

Now you are confusing rarity with grade :ninja: .

You will notice no reference book coordinates grade and rarity in the data. ;) Again, we are back to prices, not adjectives.

For example the 1762 Peter III 1 kopek. ;) Examples in horrible grade are still highly desirable, thus "classic russian rarity"

Now you are confusing rarity with grade :ninja: .

You will notice no reference book coordinates grade and rarity in the data. ;) Again, we are back to prices, not adjectives.

For example the 1762 Peter III 1 kopek. ;) Examples in horrible grade are still highly desirable, thus "classic russian rarity"

thank you for your opinion, yours is not the last one and ultimate of course; each coin marked or called "russian classic rarity " has its own rarity rate; confuse comes not from me ; as "classic"s definition was kindly posted here, however it comes with other words as "..........classic rarity", - so classic is a classic,- classic rarity is more - but how much rare, how much correctly be called rare as being classic; your 67 SPM is classic rarity for you as R1, but not for many others, as they want to see they classic rarity as R3 at least; regarding the grade, it is a classical example how unrare coin can be considered a "russian classical rarity"; your example of 1 kop 1762 is fully confirmed my sample that GRADE ;) is important when considering "russian classic rarity" :yes:

thank you for your opinion, yours is not the last one and ultimate of course; each coin marked or called "russian classic rarity " has its own rarity rate; confuse comes not from me ; as "classic"s definition was kindly posted here, however it comes with other words as "..........classic rarity", - so classic is a classic,- classic rarity is more - but how much rare, how much correctly be called rare as being classic; your 67 SPM is classic rarity for you as R1, but not for many others, as they want to see they classic rarity as R3 at least; regarding the grade, it is a classical example how unrare coin can be considered a "russian classical rarity"; your example of 1 kop 1762 is fully confirmed my sample that GRADE :ninja: is important when considering "russian classic rarity" ;)

So in conclusion you completely agree that the term "classic russian rarity" is ambiguous, but descriptive nonetheless.

In my opinion, a classic rarity is something that was thought of as rare and desirable by GM and Gil'+ Illin. Some of them can be found in that little book of GM about coins missing from his collection... And, what is also important, are still rare and desirable today. That is where the term "classic" comes from. I do not think that these new ideas about very minute variations or mint errors being very rare cuts the mustard. They are rarities, but not yet "classic". 200 years from now, they will proudly carry the tag Russian Classic Rarity. Until then, they are just plain ol' rarities. :ninja:

As to R1-R3, that is very subjective. To some people, R is the end of the world, other people do not even look at R2. There are coins that were almost unknown 100 years ago, like 1776 em 1/4 kop or 1810 em 1 kop. But only in the last few years I saw like 10 of these. So what is it? R2, R1, a classic rarity, or something else? A lot more people desire Dassier ruble over 1810 em 1 kop. But, 1810 em 1 kop is 1 thousand times more rare. I think the term "classic rarity" is in the eye of the beholder.

As to speculation to help the sale, why is it a problem? I think it is perfectly acceptable, unless the sale contains only ugly common garbage.

IMHO "Classic Russian rarity" is just an advertisement slogan, marketing trick and carries no meaning on its own unless accompanied by information that provides material facts about specific coin such as mintage figures, number of coins graded by major grading services and in what grades or number of coins sold by major auction houses within the last few years, specific grade, catalogue rarity level, etc. Rarity level in catalogues may be "common coin", but still coin may be advertized as "Classic Russian Rarity" if it is difficult to locate and may take years to find in decent grade.

WCO

That's it. "

for whom? for you ? so, thank you for your opinion in this thread, keep it, and let others to talk :ninja:

Same ideas were summarized in my post#4 above :

""Classic rarity" is an object that is rare enough and popular enough to be advertised as such. That's it. "

That is like defining the term with the term itself: " Classic rarity is a Classic Rarity. :ninja:

for whom? for you ? so, thank you for your opinion in this thread, keep it, and let others to talk :ninja:

You should not use a part of the expression out of the content. This is a cheap way to keep a discussion healthy. However, I'm not surprised.

Anyway, looks like, the audience has reached the verdict ?

You should not use a part of the expression out of the content. This is a cheap way to keep a discussion healthy. However, I'm not surprised.

Anyway, looks like, the audience has reached the verdict ?

I like when you back up yourself as an audience :ninja:

Archived