CoinPeople.com

Difficulties with Paul I silver coinage

gxseries

Paul I (1797-1801) silver coinage seems to be a huge challenge to locate even though it was struck for good 5 years. While obtaining a type set of Paul I copper coins seem to be easy other than the polushka, the silver set seems to be a complete different story. It's so difficult that even locating them can be a real pain. I am guessing that if you want to assemble a general silver type set, it maybe easier and cheaper to buy all types of Paul I copper coins including all mintmarks other than the rare mule denga/polushka coin. Of course, the efimok silver coin is out of the story - it's just too expensive.

I personally find the poltina and polupoltinnik to be near impossible to find at a reasonable price. I'm happy enough with damaged examples until I find something that's within my budget:

5 kopek

915434.jpg

10 kopek

982475.jpg

Polupoltinnik

917601.jpg

This is an extremely lucky find - just a dollar! I'm not going to complain considering how difficult it is to find in any example. I don't think I'm going to look for the other variety...

Poltina

905446.jpg

This one was from a local coin dealer. Tooled etc but still hard to find.

Ruble

901680.jpg

At one stage, I had 5 of these rubles and decided to sell a couple since I just can't keep them all. Not too sure why I had that many even though I'm not a fan of Paul I's simplistic design. Now look at the prices :ninja:

Please feel free to share your Paul I silver coins. I remember a forum member here showed off his efimok a while ago. ;)

Edited to add in the 10 kopek image

A popular issue, very competitive pricing these days!

And lots of fakes too...

I'd suggest that you also show your coin's edge - and then ask some knowledgeable person to give his opinon...

I'm not an expert in this type, but it looks a bit suspicious to me... but maybe just well cleaned...

(All imho and sorry if it is a false alarm...)

And lots of fakes too...

I'd suggest that you also show your coin's edge - and then ask some knowledgeable person to give his opinon...

I'm not an expert in this type, but it looks a bit suspicious to me... but maybe just well cleaned...

(All imho and sorry if it is a false alarm...)

I don't have it on hand, but the edge looks good and clean. But yes the coin has been cleaned, probably with some chemicals no traces of patina left. I've seen dealers in Germany do that to silver coins.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A lot is being said these days about low grade coins and how the market is leaning away from them, and perhaps there’s some truth to that, but true or not some popular and difficult coins still do well in auctions in spite of their hideousness.

In the following auction, a holed 1798 10 kopeeks with very jagged multiple cuts into its edge was sold on ebay for over $100:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=200480153523

Thanks for bringing this thread up guys. I just remembered getting two 10 kopek coins last week but never got around taking photos.

The hunt is officially over:

paul110kf.jpg

paul110kb.jpg

The one on the left unfortunately is a counterfeit as it doesn't have any silver in it. :ninja: Made me wonder if that actually did circulate and fooled a lot of people. Would be an interesting contemporary counterfeit.

Here is another low grade bargain (Anna, not Paul).... I put in for 50 bucks. went a bit over 100. not bad for a bargain type coin.

congrats to the winner!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEDWX:IT

Thank you! I don't think I could afford to touch a higher grade one, so I decided to grab the less appealing specimen. IMHO this coin is much scarcer than the 1798 10 kopeeks and does not quite have as much air shining through it.