CoinPeople.com

The problem of the Krause

Ætheling

Been discussing this over at CU forums.

Looking at the size of the 1901-present Krause it's getting quite large. Even by Krause's standards.

In a few years time we'll probably see the 20th century split off from the 21st, so the 1901-2000 Krause will be given it's own book, whilst the 2001-present will move into it's own.

Looking at the explosion of NCLT, Commems and Bullion 'coinage' over the last few decades the 2001-2100 book will be probably too big for one volume.

So we were discussing how would be the best method of breaking the book down into two more managable volumes?

Several suggestions presented themselves, all of which have problems. Splitting by date 2001-2050, 2051-2100. Separating circulation coinage from commems and NCLT. Separating alphabetically?

Which method would you prefer, feel free to add other methods should you think of a better one.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would be more likely that they split the book by date , they already publish a book with circulation issues only (Collecting world coins). I would be more frustrated if I had to buy two books divided alphabetically, rather than a 1901-1950 and a 1951-date book...

Jose :ninja:

I think it would be more likely that they split the book by date , they already publish a book with circulation issues only (Collecting world coins). I would be more frustrated if I had to buy two books divided alphabetically, rather than a 1901-1950 and a  1951-date book...

I was against the Alphabetical divisions for just that reason.

Yes, I agree. The way these NCLT coins are being produced -not to mention state quarters, province quarters and other circulating commems- the next century will be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big to fit into one volume. I do collect both, so I would not want them dropped completely. However, some reorganizing does seem inevitable.

Of all those options, I personally think that seperating at a date (2001-2050, 2051-2100) is the worst. I prefer to have coin series as intact as possible. I already find it annoying when looking at a coin series in the 19th century volume and then have to switch to the 20th. I would much prefer an alphabetical division, or then a circulating/NCLT division.

Or then instead Krause could just issue a seperate volume for Isle of Man, Marshall Islands, Turks & Caicos, and all those other island states that issue practically nothing but NCLT! :ninja:

As a purist collector. I favoured the splitting the circulation issues from the NCLT issues.

True there can be grey areas in this approach but i think generally it could achieve a better solution to the problem.

Some people actively collect just commems and they'd find everything they needed in the NCLT book. Commems that circulatate on a daily basis could be included in both the NCLT and the circulation issue books.

The main problem i find is alot of countries issue special silver and gold versions of their currency, these would unanimously in my opinion go into the NCLT book. Along with bullion and all other manner of psuedo-coins.

Anything issued to circulate as the prime motive (be it commem or regular) goes into normal issue (regular proofs can be included within this as a matter of completion although generally they really should go into the NCLT because that's what proofs are). This i think would be a better alternative. Not perfect i must admit.

But as a purist it's the way i'd do it. But i'm biased.

The problem with splitting alphabetically is if you collect coins from say France and Spain but nowhere else, well that's two books for you.

If this were the case, I do not think it would prove to be a problem. I am sure a single book on each Spain and France could be found. :ninja:

If this were the case, I do not think it would prove to be a problem. I am sure a single book on each Spain and France could be found. :ninja:

Unless you can't speak Spanish or French then Krause is your main helper. This doesn't exactly apply to me because i only collect 18th century French coinage and i can find a book in English on them thanks to a post on another forum.

OK, then just break in two books, the first one would be the already published "Collecting world coins" the other would be "Collecting world governments money making schemes"...

Or it could be a volume 1901-1970, then a book for each decade (1971-80, 1981-90,....)

OK, then just break in two books, the first one would be the already published "Collecting world coins" the other would be "Collecting world governments money making schemes"...

I like! ;) (I even like the titles)

Or it could be a volume 1901-1970, then a book for each decade (1971-80, 1981-90,....)

Jose ;)

Sisu's gonna like that! :ninja:

Maybe it's best to leave it in one book but make it a really, really big one, hardbacked with clasps?* :lol:

*Free wheelbarrow with every purchase

Unless you can't speak Spanish or French then Krause is your main helper. ...

With certain countries this is probably true (India and China come straight to mind), but I would say that with the majority of the modern issues in Krause, there is not much written text anyhow. Most of the text is "5 pesetas Composition:Aluminum-Bronze" and other such blurbs. If I collect a specific country's coinage, I would much prefer a country specific book even if I did not know the language. Mintage numbers and such are fairly self-explanatory and thus need no translation. I think that the likelyhood of more detailed photos and variety listings, etc would far outweigh the fact that I could not read the text.

...Or it could be a volume 1901-1970, then a book for each decade (1971-80, 1981-90,....)

Jose ;)

Sisu's gonna like that!  ;)

:ninja:

If that actually happened, I seriously think that I would pull out the pages out of each volume and staple them together in packets of individual countries.

Hmmmm.....maybe I need to start looking for some used copies of older volumes of krause: 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th and then pull out the scissors and stapler.

:ninja:

If that actually happened, I seriously think that I would pull out the pages out of each volume and staple them together in packets of individual countries.

Hmmmm.....maybe I need to start looking for some used copies of older volumes of krause: 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th and then pull out the scissors and stapler.

That is actually a good idea! ;)

If there's any 17th/18th century French you don't need you know where i am. (Or 18th century Austria if it comes to that)

I was against the Alphabetical divisions for just that reason.

Divided by initial letters catalogues already exists... I own one 20 century Weltmunzkatalog Gunther Schon 1980 edition divided in two volumes: countries by A to I and countries by J to Z. Isn't bad idea: it is very easy to work with it! You don't need to keep in hands a ton of slim paper...

OK, what we need is personalized Krause catalogs!!!

Example:

We log in to their website, then we select what we need let's say one country and one century is a certain price, so one could want:

England - XX, XIX, XVIII and XVII century (35 cents each)

France - XX, XIX, XVIII century (35 cents each)

Italy - XX century (35 cents)

China - XX century (2 US$)

Germany - XVIII century (8 US$)

Total: 12.8 US$ + 5 US$ for the "dossier" to put the sheets on (if you decide to buy more countries, you already have a place to put them) + s/h.

You just need to buy what you want...

ugh.

turn it into an annual subscription and put it on the web. have a base subscription cost with addons for different features (a wider date range, better quality photos, ...)

or distribute it on dvd.

either way you can print out the parts that matter to you most, and for most people this is a (relative) handful of pages.

but please stop with the dead trees already.

I'm in favor of large reference works going digital. As mentioned the content can be customized along with the pricing. So in the Krause example, everyone could get the basic guidebook with the abbreviations, definitions and such and then you could choose your countries/areas. For example, someone could choose all Africa 1700-present and pay one fee, while someone else may choose only France 1600-1840.

Archived