CoinPeople.com

Error coins or notes in your collection

Errors in your collection  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How many error coins do you have in your collection?

• None
    • 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-20
    • 21-50
    • more than 50
  2. 2. How many error notes do you have in your collection?

• None
    • 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-20
    • 21-50
    • more than 50
  3. 3. Do you actively collect error coins or notes?

• Yes, I collect any that cross my path
    • Yes, I am focusing on specific errors
    • No, but I keep what comes my way
    • No, I don't keep errors

I've never had the privilege of owning an error coin or error note. I have nothing against them; I just put whatever budget I do have for collecting towards my series and typesets. One day, I'd like to buy an error coin and note. I can only dream of finding one in circulation!

Also, I see error notes at conventions much more frequently than error coins. Do you think it is because they are all the same rectangular size and, thus, are easier to display?

Please post any images of error coins or notes that you own. Some are elaborate and gorgeous. Others are simple and plain.

I have plenty of error coins, mainly the usual double-strikes and off-centre errors. I also have a couple of error notes which I've picked up in change, namely the £5 of Elizabeth Fry where the serial number rubs off.

I don't tend to go out of my way to acquire them but if they fall into my lap, I will not shun them.

Found in circulation recently 1943 S silver nickel. Small lamination flaw along crease in Jefferson's jacket

976204.jpg

Double chin frankie I have never seen another like it.

915884.jpg

2001 off center strike

910760.jpg

Blank clad quarter

910110.jpg

struck thru error. Out of a mint roll

910014.jpg

1998 Lincoln Broadstrike and plating bubbles

909357.jpg

Reverse side lamination error

908497.jpg

Clip pocket change find

908284.jpg

1884 o struck thru error obverse. Also a VAM-5

909639.jpg

I should have put 10 to 20 after thinking about it. I have a lot more minor strike thru's.

I'm note aware of any error notes that I might have. I have very few notes at all. I have quite a few error coins but I don't really collect them. They're just curiousities that I put aside when I run into them. I don't have anything that would make anyone go "AH! OOH!" or spend money for them. Strikes throughs are probably the main group.

Double chin frankie I have never seen another like it.

Blank clad quarter

Reverse side lamination error

Thanks for sharing all these great coins, Mark!

A few questions. The double chin seems to be a die crack. I usually consider them varieties. Would it be safe to classify failures of the die to be varieties? and mistriking coins with otherwise perfect dies would be errors?

What is the difference between a blank and a planchet? Is the blank with the raised rim?

I've seen a few laminated wheaties in my time. I think they were from the 40's, perhaps due to substandard alloys after the War.

Thanks for sharing all these great coins, Mark!

A few questions. The double chin seems to be a die crack. I usually consider them varieties. Would it be safe to classify failures of the die to be varieties? and mistriking coins with otherwise perfect dies would be errors?

What is the difference between a blank and a planchet? Is the blank with the raised rim?

I've seen a few laminated wheaties in my time. I think they were from the 40's, perhaps due to substandard alloys after the War.

Yep, the franklin could/should be one. Morgan die breaks such as the donkey tail as an example. but I have never found another reference to one like it.

Never really thought about it but looking at Fred's W's site planchet I guess would be rolled.

The cent was from a little bag of mixed date wheaties.

variates are changes to design, extra metal etc are minor errors, small cracks and cuds are not really important

i claim the earliest error

978211.jpg

off centre strike 14th-15th century jetton

962897.jpg

my personal fave 2008 £2 with no dot at the bottom of the obverse, i would call that a variety really but hey.

970609.jpg

double struck obverse 2001 10p

970741.jpg

and another from 1992

962351.jpg

1975 5p thin planchet

962809.jpg

1967 clipped planchet

970218.jpg

thinning planchet

963629.jpg

clipped planchet AND slightly offcentre

962780.jpg

1750 duit clipped planchet

Seems that I misunderstood when first reading the poll. I put 6-10 errors, when I have more. I put the low number thinking more along the lines of varients (doubled die, mule, etc.) of which I have very few. I have a fair amount of errors: die cracks, double strikes, etc. If I come across errors I usually keep them, but I don't go out of my way to get them. Here are a few errors that I have posted in another part of this site:

Finn euro coins

The one coin that I believe to be a variant (doubled die) rather than error (doubled strike) is yet to be confirmed in any official manner. I'm still hoping :ninja:

Unsure doubling

As for notes, I do not have any known errors as far as I know.

Archived