CoinPeople.com

Controversy over Shropshire woman not declaring find.

YeOldeCollector

Interesting issue....

Question to everyone: if you found a coin that fit your collection, but then at the same time was a valuable piece of treasure never seen before, would you keep it and pass it down in your family or would you hand it over to the authorities?

I'm not sure what I would do :ninja: it's a tough situation.

If it is an important piece of history...I have to say I would probably report it. I am not saying I am a do right guy all the time but I don't want to loot...or at least I don't want to loot something that is unique and has such great historic value...If I found a more common coin or something like that...I might think differently of it but then again...I do understand the consequences of not reporting and then possibly losing important information (context) when it comes to a possible archeological dig site. But I might just pocket something that isn't terribly rare, I might still feel like I might have hindered a possible important site. Often great finds begin with a report of a seemingly unimportant find.

If nothing else I believe they compensate you close to the estimated value of the find.

In the above case, I think they might be being a bit hard on her as it looks like a coin thus a single coin find does not have to be reported. The numismatists they quoted sounded a bit dense. It doesnt matter why she kept the object or what she planned to do with it...whether she would keep it in a collection or not. If I found that object...I would probably have thought it was a coin as well, as a single coin does not have to be reported, I would not have thought seeking information about it was stupid. In that case, it doesnt matter if she planned to keep it because she loves coins or sell it to the highest bidder, it would be hers. It just so happened the object that LOOKS like a coin...wasnt. I would say many numismatists (including myself and many here) would not have thought it was 1. not a coin and 2. so terribly rare.

If nothing else I believe they compensate you close to the estimated value of the find.

Yes, you're meant to receive the true market value for the piece. Although... :ninja:

Archived