CoinPeople.com

Holes in coins

Mark Stilson

IMO the only thing that should be discounted is relative rarity. To use an example - lots of 1949D dimes would had got scrapped. But since the 1949S is a better date, it's likely that many were spared from the melting pot.

As weird as it sounds, it is quite possible that as silver coins continue to be melted down, that eventually some "common dates" might actually become scarcer than some of the "semi-keys"

Dunno :ninja: Depends on when coin collecting/hoarding became popular i guess.

I would say almost all high grade coins that were made into jewelery would had not otherwise been saved. Collecting in decades past was a relatively much more expensive hobby.

899184.jpg

Putting Holes in coins is not always for decoration! The practice of holing counterfeit and European copy Edward I,II,& III coins was practised, mainly because the general populace were pretty ignorant. I presume it was officials that pierced them, but left them in circulation because of the shortage of coins, probably at a lesser value! :ninja:

BTW. The coin shown is William 1337-91 of Namur, a Crockard

IMO the only thing that should be discounted is relative rarity. To use an example - lots of 1949D dimes would had got scrapped. But since the 1949S is a better date, it's likely that many were spared from the melting pot.

As weird as it sounds, it is quite possible that as silver coins continue to be melted down, that eventually some "common dates" might actually become scarcer than some of the "semi-keys"

Thats kinda what i meany by discounting mintage figures for pre 64 silver , thanks ,Im regretting selling as many Mercs as i did now..sort of , mostly kept the choicest ones.

By the way I don't think this "unknown" rarity is unique to US coins alone. Lots of world silver got scooped up in the big silver melt as well. A buddy of mine figures that somewhere around 10-12% of the 20th Century UK silver coins were destoryed. Don't know what he bases that on but he's been collecting UK since the late 50's.

Back in the 70's my brother bought a $1,000 face value bag of silver coins. Everything from dimes to halves. Lot of almost dateless coins in there. What surprised me though was the barbers. Looking back and at ebay now they are still out there and on the bay. He really worked that deal. Bought when it was about $30 an ounce and waited till it made it back to $25. Missed the high point completely.

• 3 weeks later...

What's really annoying me is the best error coin in my collection, an 1872 brockage penny (My avatar) has a hole (Had a ring loop through it until I removed it) presumably was worn on a chain or cord due to it being an oddity.

1872brock.jpg

Such a shame :ninja:

It's a great coin. Perhaps the hole is what saved it from a terrible fate of total destruction. The fact that someone cared for it all those years may be a good thing.

• 9 years later...
  • 4 months later...