CoinPeople.com

California Missions

Yes, vary interesting. I bought the set of 12 in a "Dansco" album that has spaces for all 21 medals and it has the Father Serra medal as well. Your information explains why it is stylistically different fram the mission medals. I guess now I'll have to go in search of the other issues.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

The medals I have in my book include:

Father Serra (this is not the US Mint medal struck in 1964).

San Antonio de Padua

San Gabriel

San Luis Obispo

San Juan Capistrano

San Buenaventura

Santa Barbara

San Jose

San Miguel

San Fernando

San Luis Rey

San Raphael

Empty holes in my book:

San Diego

San Carlos

San Francisco

Santa Clara

La Purisima -- existence confirmed (11/6/11)

Santa Cruz

Soledad -- existence confirmed (11/6/11)

San Juan Bautista

Santa Inez

San Francisco de Solano

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure that the prior post about the medals beyond the original 12 issued is accurate. I've been looking for quite a while for the medals that are "empty" holes in the prior post, and I have not found any of them. I'd be interested in whether ANYONE can post a picture of any of the missing medals....

• 2 months later...

Nice medals. It appears that the quest to complete the medals set can be a long and adventure filled one. Enjoy. I certainly enjoy seeing the photos of these beautiful items.

Great finds. I will confess that I recently had the opportunity to have lunch with Bob and see some of his collection. He has a great eye for medals and a knack for finding elusive pieces. If anyone manages to complete this series, I'm willing to bet he will.

Great finds. I will confess that I recently had the opportunity to have lunch with Bob and see some of his collection. He has a great eye for medals and a knack for finding elusive pieces. If anyone manages to complete this series, I'm willing to bet he will.

This is such a great post! Undertaking the task to complete a series like this must be arduous. I have to give anyone who undertakes such a task a thumbs up for the effort!

These medals arrived today, and ... surprise ... they have a side number of # 2221 ... both ... with the medallic arts co stamp. This contradicts the previous post info that they were produced in reduced quantaties.... unless the side rim number does not correspond with the total number.....

• 1 month later...

Would a Carmel mission coin fit into your collection? Dated 1897

San Carlos in the above list is the Carmel Mission. It is one of the medals in the series that we have not yet confirmed. The full name is Mission San Carlos Borromeo del Rio Carmelo. It was founded in 1770/1771.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm a newbie here. I came across this forum trying to research the value of these medals. I have found them to be quite an enigma.

I have the following in silver and they all have a deep purple burst rub type of finish except for 2 that are more of a greyish blue fade, and the last 2 listed which are shiny silver

If anyone has a guestimate as to how much these are worth I'd certainly be greatful. If there are any you would like me to post pics of let me know.

San Fernando Rey,

San Jose Guadalupe,

Santa Barbara,

San Antonio de Padua,

San Rafael,

San Miguel,

San Gabriel,

San Buena Ventura,

San Juan Capistrana,

San Luis Obispo,

Fray Junipero Serra (don't think it is part of this set)

La Purisima Concepcion,

Nuestra Senora de la Soledad,

Thanks

Greg

The silver medals are worth melt plus whatever someone is willing to pay. The bronze medals run in the $15 to $25 range on Ebay depending on the demand at the moment (so some bring more at times). I was generally seeing the silver medals at $35 to $50 a year ago. Then silver went crazy, then it came back down. I haven't seen any recent listings that I have tracked.

Is your Serra piece silver?

We do like images on this site. Go ahead and post your pictures. We would love to see them.

• 1 month later...

Hello all. New to the group. Find this site while looking for more info on California Mission Medals. I have the Book/Folder Holder for these medals as well as the following in the book;

Fray Junipero Serra, San Juan Capistrano, San Antonio De Padua, San Gabriel, San Luis Obispo, San Luis Del Rey, Mission San Buensventura, Santa Barbara, San Jose, San Fernando, San Luis Rey, San Miguel, and San Rafael.

I collect all types of coins and paper but mostly silver (i.e. Morgans/Peace/Walkers etc). I belong to many associations as well. It was a great find this site to add to contacts for info as well. Looking forward to making many posts for the same. TY

Can you please post a picture of the book?

Thanks,

Brian

I suspect there are two Father Serra medals being discussed here. The Serra medal posted by seabeebrian is the official medal struck by the US Mint. 10,000 were struck in silver, 89,000 in bronze. I'll post a picture of the book as soon as I get a chance.

• 1 month later...

I recently acquired a collection of 13 colorfully-toned Silver mission medals made by the Medallic Arts Company circa 1968. This post (while mentioning other manufacturers [uS mint] above) continues to focus my attention the medallic arts company medals. Attached is an image of the silver Nuestra Senora de la Soledad medal. I don't have it in hand yet to see of the serial number falls below 500 to prove if prior posts stating that only 500 copies of this medal was made.

One thing I noticed recently is the name of "Papaleo" on several of these medals. I haven't found a description of who this artist is, but I am planning to look further into this. One of the medals (the San Luis Rey de Francia) has the full name of this artist spelled out, but I haven't gotten one of my medals out yet to get the correct spelling. Does anyone know (a) who this is and (B) why several of the medals don't have this artists name engraved on them? I haven't found any literature reference yet to this person. I've also noticed several variations in the silver medals medallic art logos... can anyone point me to the variations in medallic arts company medal stamps over the years?

Note that most of my newly acquired silver medals (that I have photographs of) have edge numerical stamps < #1000, meaning that the silver series of these medals were likely made in the number of 1000 (or less). The lowest edge serial number I own (based on photos) is #156 just FYI. I'll post again when I get the medals are research more...

Neustra Silver.jpg