CoinPeople.com

PCI2010 Groupings

Art

Below are the catagories for PCI2010. Please take the time to read this and comment. I'm thinking of leaving this post open for comments for 5 days. Then it gets locked and the final groupings will be announced.

Group1: Ancient, Medieval (BC-1500) I know there was much discussion about splitting this and having Medieval a sep. catagory. I'm ok with that if there will be enough interest.

Group2: 1501-1700

Group3: 1701-1800

Group4: 1801-1900

Group5: 1901-2000

Group6: 2001-Present

Group7: NCLT

Group8: Exonumia

Group9: Special Coins - anything you collect that you feel warrants being outside the other catagories. Only three entries per person allowed.

Let the discussions begin...................

I think maybe the 20th century group should be split into two different groups, 1900-1949 and 1950-1999.

I say that to give the coins in the latter group a fare chance because they will never be able to compete against the works of art that mints were producing in the earlier half of the century.

I would personally prefer the Ancient and Medieval being split. Most categories are 200 or 100 year spreads whereas the Ancient and Medieval one is several thousand.

Medieval cannot hold a candle to Syracuse, whoops, I mean ancients. I love my Medieval coins, but they are functional, not pretty.

Hence why it is unfair for the Medievals, as they rarely ever win... :ninja:

I consider the split is the beginning of the Byzantine Empire ca. 6th century AD.

:ninja:

Ancient - B.C. to 500 A.D.

Medieval - 500 A.D. to 1500.

I'll end up entering in 3 categories which is fine but I'll make the same comment every time I have to update Krause; the split at 1800 ignores the historical reality of the time. The French Revolution through the age of Nappy the First (1789-1815) is pretty definitive, Europe before and after 1815 is almost too different to compare. This is particularly true in the German and Italian States.

Actually I'm not sure what my point is here... :ninja:

ooo.... shiny...

;)

Art, would PCI2010 be an appropriate occasion to have a "design your own coins" group? I mean, if we're going to be debating and voting primarily on the merits of coin designs, maybe we should let dedicated numismatists submit their own designs and see how they compete head to head.

I would also split medieval and ancient. As already stated, on the whole, ancients have a lot more going for them aesthetically. Otherwise I wouldnt change a thing :ninja: I would cut off ancient at 500 AD.

20'th century is so rich in beautiful coins that we can do the contest separate by metals: (and of course split in pre 1950 and post 1950):

-Cu-Ni, Al, ZN, Fe, Bimetal

-Copper, Bronze, Brass, Nordic gold.

-Silver;

-Gold

Hmm 9 groups Art... that's a tough one. From personal experience I would advise either 8 or 16 groups to begin. The magic rule of 8, Stujoe knows what I mean. If you have any other number of groups than 32, 16, 8 or 4, then you'll end up with rounds where there's an odd coin left out! Same goes for number of coins in each group.

I suppose you could put them all through in threes (i.e three coins together in each poll), that way 9 groups would work.

But then you'd need these numbers of groups and coins within each group 3, 9, 27, 81.

I hope that makes sense!

Just a word of caution, don't overdo the categories or it will become unwieldy and people will lose interest. I think Aetheling and any others that have coordinated this in the past will attest to the fact that people lose interests after awhile.

Hmm 9 groups Art... that's a tough one. From personal experience I would advise either 8 or 16 groups to begin. The magic rule of 8, Stujoe knows what I mean. If you have any other number of groups than 32, 16, 8 or 4, then you'll end up with rounds where there's an odd coin left out! Same goes for number of coins in each group.

I suppose you could put them all through in threes (i.e three coins together in each poll), that way 9 groups would work.

But then you'd need these numbers of groups and coins within each group 3, 9, 27, 81.

I hope that makes sense!

There's math???!? :ninja:

Just a word of caution, don't overdo the categories or it will become unwieldy and people will lose interest. I think Aetheling and any others that have coordinated this in the past will attest to the fact that people lose interests after awhile.

Very good point.

I utterly agree.

I'm considering releasing only one or two catagories at a time. It will stretch out the time but I think it might help to keep the interest level high. Thoughts?

I'm going to close this thread on January 1 and post a "semi-final" thread that folks can have a week or so to comment on. SO please get your input to me as soon as possible.

I'm considering releasing only one or two catagories at a time. It will stretch out the time but I think it might help to keep the interest level high. Thoughts?

I like this idea. Frankly I really look forward to PCI because it allows me to spend time looking at coins and medals that the experts of a particular era have collected and want to share. I'm always much more educated than before we begin and I find myself thinking "I wonder when the next PCI will start?"

Archived