CoinPeople.com

Value? - 1875 USA 50 cent "Fractional Currency" note

jugoslavija_post

Hi, I found this note amongst some old letters, etc. whilst cleaning up the garage. icon_eek.gif

I know it is not the best note, but it is still in one piece. Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate for value of this note?

(The pictures do not seem to link - please click here to view them: http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15394 )

Hi, I found this note amongst some old letters, etc. whilst cleaning up the garage. icon_eek.gif

I know it is not the best note, but it is still in one piece. Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate for value of this note?

(The pictures do not seem to link - please click here to view them: http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15394 )

Howdy, and welcome to this banknote board.

Fractional currency was initially issued during the Civil War due to the fact that all hard money was being hoarded. Gold, silver and even copper pieces were swept out of circulation by a fearful public. The US Government couldn't keep coins in circulation because of this. So, someone thought postage stamps could be used for small change. It didn't take long for folks to realize that after a very short time, stamps got all mungy and gross because moisture from handling caused the glus to catch all kinds of dirt, etc. There followed a brief experiment with encasing postage in little brass containers with a thin mica covering over the face of the stamp.

TNext, folks pasted the stamps to a somewhat larger piece of paper. This seemed to work quite well. When the Treasury issued the first fractionals, they were entitled "Postage Currency" and had images of then current stamps.

In all there were five separate issues of fractionals up to 1876.

BTW, the 50-cent Crawford note has been nicknamed the 'Bob Hope note' for the picture of Crawford does seem to resemble old Ski Nose himself.

Also, in this condition, this note isn't worth more than $5.00 or so.

HTH.

Jay, in Lufkin, TX

Archived