CoinPeople.com

1810 copper 2 kopeks EM HM "Chicken type"

one-kuna

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought the book! I like it, good effort!

Some things were puzzling, like the rarity and price estimates. Coin #20 is the 1810 EM-HM with no dash above "I/I". According to the book there are only 3 known coins of that variety. The rarity prescribed by the author is R2. Coin #18 is an awesome mule new 1810 EM eagle with the old obverse. According to author there are 7 know coins of that type yet the rarity is listed as R3. At the same time coin #22 is the same mule but dated 1811, again there are 3 known coins but this time the rarity is set to R4!

As you can see the rarity does not seem to pair up with stats. And it is not clear what it is set by.

At the same time the author states that he has seen the 1810 large date variety EM (#1) coin 10 times per year. I'm very impressed, as I doubt that I've seen 10 such coins in all my years of collecting. I think it would be helpful if the author listed how many such coins he has logged in his database, same as he did for the above mentioned coins.

Additional note: Out of curiosity I have just browsed through the 1810 "bee" or "chicken" eagles on the m-dv web site. I realize they do not list all the coins available for sale, but that's all I got. I found 5 sales of the large date variety coin, and 3 of them were the same coin! So they only have a record of 3 large date 1810 in about 5 years. Curiously the coin coin that circulated through 3 different auctions started as a VF on MIM in 2009 but soon became XF on the 2010 Gorny sale. :)

To end on a positive note, I like the glossy color images, and the descriptions are fairly clear. Lots of varieties, and some I have not even heard of before!

glad to hear about this book; i think, the rarity there listed for coins variants should be considering as known to the author

• 1 month later...

I am glad that this topic was viewed over 18000 times !

I got this book from Michael this week. Very impressed with his effort. I remember when he started collecting information 4 years ago and had an idea of making this catalog. I am glad to see his dream came true. This is only first edition. I am sure there will be corrections and additions as time will go by. Very good effort and well worth $30 odd bucks in full.

do you think this topic helped him in order to complile his catalog ?

Have no idea. I am sure that he collected info from different sources, including his own collection that grew exponentially as time went by. I believe he has most of the coins, if not all, but I didn’t ask him. There are so many places where these coins have been discussed in the last 4 year, and so many topics that most probably helped him on his way. I think what important here is actually collating all the info, analysing it and finally putting it in together, in a meaningful form, in the catalog, taking a big risk on the way investing own money and time into editing, photographing, and publishing. Not many people I know have done that, and I respect this.

Here more pics from the topic on CFN:

post-12539-0-39238300-1363677086_thumb.j

post-12539-0-20532000-1363582746_thumb.p

Talking to him on a forum, mid 2009, I though he has gone mad, when he started obsessively chasing down and buying all the 2 kopecks coins, even the really badly looking finds from the ground, cleaning them and showing them off, looking for differences. :) I remember that he was obsessed about this topic from the beginning. I respect it now, because he have seen it through. I know I wouldn't be able to do that, as concentrating on one topic for so long is simply too crazy for me, I like variety in shape, size and form, I get too bored playing "where is Wally?"... but I can use the catalog. This attention to small details that you guys have, is amazes me sometimes, and makes me to slow down and look around sometimes, but not for too very long... :)

:art:

I only discovered and joined coinpeople last year for the first time.

That was another forum, it used to be popular 4-5 years ago, now it's dead pretty much.

I think it was rucoin.ru, or something like this. I can not check it now, it won't let me in from

where I am at the moment. I had some PMs going back and forth with Michael at that time,

with him showing me lot's of examples of what coins used to look when he got them and

after he cleaned them. He had some amazing result, but wouldn't share the method he used.

Must have used something like what they add to Coca-Cola! :)

You can also order directly from Michael, that's what I did, or follow the link in post #125 (see extract). I think he lost his password for coinpeople, but I am sure if you send him a PM he should get it on his e-mail. Just give him your e-mail, as he would not be able to reply to you otherwise, and you'll just be waiting and waiting and waiting... You can use PayPal with him directly, and he should still have copies, as he was only around half-way through selling them. This printed edition is not very large though, only 500 copies, I think, so if you want to secure your copy, you better be quick. You can use the PM link, this is from his profile. I think "Mishutka" (stands for "bear cub") is written in Russian in his profile, as I can not read it, so it would be too difficult to find him otherwise. You can use the link to him a message. email_open.png Send Mishutka a message

...there is a great chance to buy a very nice guidebook to 1810-1830 copper 2 kopeks coinage check this link: http://www.staraya-m.../#message321579 who is really interested in buying this book please let me know and I will help with russian ( who need it ) who does not need assitance but wants this guide book visit that site and order directly from an author who visited our forum many times in the past under name Mishutka...

i was wondering how many folks ordered his book from this forum; i recently asked him and he said that no one

Most probably this is true so far. As I mentioned before, his account here is inactive as he has lost the password. I was talking to him about st. Petersburg collector magasing, as I remembered that he wrote an article there on one of the 2 kops a few years ago, and I was considering their offer. That's when he mentioned "by the way, did you buy my book?" So I got it from him directly.

If anyone will have trouble contacting Michael for the book. Let me know in PM with your email, and I'll pass it to him, so he could contact you directly.

• 9 months later...

is this book currently on web somewhere for sale?

• 1 month later...

Uzdenikov, is one of the basic "must have" books for understanding Russian numismatics. I find I don't use it much anymore, and prefer Bitkin and others, but I still keep a copy for just in case. I'll send you Michail's e-mail in PM, I bought it about a year ago from him, so I don't know how much he is asking now. Just send him an e-mail, and deal with him directly, it's easier and cheeper this way.