CoinPeople.com

Copies are in Fashion!

alexbq2

Here the seller actually stipulates that this is a copy but:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=220491625273

Wow ... 16 bids! :ninja: But it was really just two dummies trying to outbid each other.

I think it is highly possible that this auction itself was fake ... one bidder with zero feedback score, the other with only three ... ??? Sellers of the "slimier" type often do this to build positive feedback ... the bidders are what people call "sock puppets", accounts which are controlled by the seller (or friends of the seller). Basically, a racket is going on here.

Wow ... 16 bids! :ninja: But it was really just two dummies trying to outbid each other.

I think it is highly possible that this auction itself was fake ... one bidder with zero feedback score, the other with only three ... ??? Sellers of the "slimier" type often do this to build positive feedback ... the bidders are what people call "sock puppets", accounts which are controlled by the seller (or friends of the seller). Basically, a racket is going on here.

I don't quite understand why put all that effort into fake activity and drive the price up to over $100? Wouldn't that drive up the eBay fees as well?

I don't quite understand why put all that effort into fake activity and drive the price up to over $100? Wouldn't that drive up the eBay fees as well?

Could be a stolen or hacked eBay account, or a stolen credit card. So they are not concerned about the fees.

• 1 month later...
Seems that they are still in fashion. Here's something from a well know to us seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=380178975472

Well, I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who buys something like this on eBay!

From the description: "SESTROREZKIY or russian : сестрорецкий " ... shouldn't it be spelled "сестрёрецкий"? At least that is how it is spelled on the edge of the genuine specimens (and genuine novodels). Uzdenikov spells it "сестрорецкий", though... :ninja:

• 1 month later...

Hard to say. I think the only way to find out is to feed this back through whatever translation software he is using, and see what comes out in Russian.

I do have a feeling that I'm missing out with these auctions. Is there some way to make or launder small amounts of money through paying for fake coins?

"The herd, weight also threw - original."

I give up. what exactly is this person trying to say?

The word "herd" is a literal translation of the word for edge. Technically,

as I understand it, the word gurt means herd, as in cattle. My

dictionaries do not show this use of the word for numismatics but it is

so used by Uzdenikov and others.

RWJ

Hard to say. I think the only way to find out is to feed this back through whatever translation software he is using, and see what comes out in Russian.

Here are three computer translations. Do any of them make sense?

Стадо, веса и бросил - оригинал

Стадо, вес также бросил - оригинал

Табун, утяжеляет также бросил - оригинал

Here are three computer translations. Do any of them make sense?

Стадо, веса и бросил - оригинал

Стадо, вес также бросил - оригинал

Табун, утяжеляет также бросил - оригинал

No. But RWJ's theory that herd=edge holds water. As to what the rest is meant to be... ?

No. But RWJ's theory that herd=edge holds water. As to what the rest is meant to be... ?

Гурт, вес - похоже на правду.

Throw - это наверное что-то вроде отпечатка, печати, литья. Переводчик скорее всего перепутал throw с cast.

"The herd, weight also threw - original."

I give up. what exactly is this person trying to say? :ninja:

You guys have already worked out edge & weight so using 'cast' for 'threw',

The edge, weight and colour/patination are the same as the original, is what I believe he means.

One of the many meanings of CAST:

Definition: the visual appearance of something or someone; "the delicate cast of his features"

or in this instance, the colour/patination of a medal, its cast.

One of the many meanings of CAST:

Definition: the visual appearance of something or someone; "the delicate cast of his features"

or in this instance, the colour/patination of a medal, its cast.

:ninja:

• 1 month later...
Here it is possible to buy much more cheaply.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MESE:IT

Why would you want to buy a pirated, scanned, low quality pdf of a very useful book, who's author has worked very hard to create it?

Also, yo have to be pretty dumb (IMHO) to pay $100 a pdf rip off, you can probably buy a used copy of the book for that much.

Archived