CoinPeople.com

Iceland 1930 Althing Series

Roark

Concerning the Iceland 1930 Althing series, does anyone know the significance of the mythological & historical figures on the coins? Who are the figures on the coins? Does anyone know a translation for the runes on the 2 Kronur coin?

The 4 symbols of Iceland are the sea eagle, dragon, bull and giant, the so-called protectors of the land who according to legend protected Iceland from invasion by Danish King Harald Blatand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_I_of_Denmark

The 3 1930 unofficial coins were struck privately by the Saxon State Mint in Muldenhutten, Germany at the instigation of a parliamentary committee for the 1000th anniversary of the Althing (Parliament).

2 Kronor 20,000 minted, features a seated figure and Icelandic cross.

5 Kr 10,000, Ulfliot the lawgiver, dragons.

10 Kr 10,000, the King of Thule and national arms.

You might also try a library for a copy of Unusual World Coins and Schon's World Coin Catalogue for pictures, values and lots more interesting info.

Sorry, no help on the runes.

Brad

Can you tell me where you read about "Ulfliot the lawgiver" and the "King of Thule"?

Can you tell me where you read about "Ulfliot the lawgiver" and the "King of Thule"?

Brad already mentioned the Schön catalog. :ninja: And Ulfliot is mentioned on the 5 kr coin: "AlÞingi vas sett at raÞi Ulfliots ok allra landsmanna".

The runes on the 2 kr piece translate (again according to Schön) to "The AlÞing was founded (or established) in 930."

Christian

• 9 years later...

I'm pretty late in the game (more precise, 10 years), but my attention was drawn to the 2 krónur coin today, just 30 minutes ago.

The runic inscription reads: Alþingi stofnaþ niu hundruþ ok þriatiu = Althing was established in 930

And below in says: Nitian hundruþ ok þriatiu = 1930

Again, sorry I'm late. 😊

• 2 months later...