CoinPeople.com

IOM 5 POUND

genno

I was given an Isle of Man £5 coin.

My nan won it in a singing competition in the 80s and was told when she received it, that it was the first

one issued or minted.

Maybe the host of the competition said that to add more interest, i don't know,

but is there anyway of finding out?

I have seen a photo of another, Legs of Man design on reverse, but it's silver.

The coin I have looks more gold in colour and has was looks like a fishing boat on reverse side,

with Ellan Vannin and Legs Of Man in a small circle.

Would anyone here have an idea?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

It is virennium,

"Ellan Vannin" is Manx Gaelic for Isle of Man,

The three legged symbol is called a Triskellion and is the ancient symbol of the island, strangely it was also used by Sicily on coins at one time,

Sadly the Manx government issue so many silly coins that they are virtually face value only.

Hope that has been of some help to you.

Sadly the Manx government issue so many silly coins that they are virtually face value only.

I'm often surprised by how much those Manx Christmas 50p fetch on ebay though,

an uncirculated 1995 I saw sell £55 a few years ago, other such as the 1992 or 1993 standard Manx 50p were only in sets and incredibly difficult to find (I've been looking for some 15 years now...)

Even someone like me from the island doesn't really collect everything that is issued, as the majority is novelty interest only. Yes occasionally the Christmas 50p pieces go for exhorbitant sums on flea bay, but if you look arouhd the shops on the island they can be bought for usually £1.50p to £2.

As you say the 92 and 93 50p pieces are really difficult to find but I am sure some unscrupulous person will crack a couple of mint sets to make a fast buck. For me I would leave them as they are in the sets.

Archived