CoinPeople.com

Another fake 50 kopeck piece

bobh

:ninja:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150365487474

If it weren't for the raised dot on the neck, and the general "fake" looks of this piece, there is another telltale giveaway for 1908.

Does anyone know what it is?

Watch out!

The date is wrongly placed (too close to KOPECKS) and the cross on the topmost crown

points to the left of a dentil rather than centered.

Nice catch!

RWJ

Same story as most suspisious sellers starts like this:

<<<All coins are sold as is and sales are final. This coin looks really nice. I'm not an expert so I sell all my coins with authenticity unknown as I cannot guaranty it.>>> :ninja:

The date is wrongly placed (too close to KOPECKS) and the cross on the topmost crown

points to the left of a dentil rather than centered.

Nice catch!

RWJ

Good to know about the crown ... I hadn't known! :ninja:

I was thinking more about the rim, which is slightly thicker in 1908 than either 1907 or 1909.

I was thinking more about the rim, which is slightly thicker in 1908 than either 1907 or 1909.

This seller ("grrmoneta") seems to have a regular buyer in "chocolatemusik".

I have grave doubt that any of the coins purchased by chocolatemusik from grrmoneta are genuine.

Yet the seller has a 100% positive feedback rating!

it is probably worth mentioning that on 50 k coins issued in 1912-1914 the crown does point to the left of the dentil.

it is probably worth mentioning that on 50 k coins issued in 1912-1914 the crown does point to the left of the dentil.

Looking at the pictures in the Kazakov book, I see it on 1913 and 1914, but not 1912 ... however, there is always the possibility that both types were issued in 1912.

Would be another overlooked variety if we could find both types in 1912 ... the hunt is on! :ninja:

OK, I just did a quick eBay search of Russian coins looking for "1912", and every single 50 kopeck piece has the tip of the cross pointing left of the denticle. However, it is possible that the picture in the Kazakov book was a proof coin, and possibly used a different reverse die.

OK, I just did a quick eBay search of Russian coins looking for "1912", and every single 50 kopeck piece has the tip of the cross pointing left of the denticle. However, it is possible that the picture in the Kazakov book was a proof coin, and possibly used a different reverse die.

Yes, this may be the explanation. But I would not exclude the possibility that there might also exist an infrequent business strike 1912 variety with aligned positions of the cross and the denticle. I will keep an eye on this. So far, the Kazakov picture is the only one of this kind that I have seen. As you said ... the hunt is on.

:ninja:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150365487474

If it weren't for the raised dot on the neck, and the general "fake" looks of this piece, there is another telltale giveaway for 1908.

Does anyone know what it is?

Watch out!

Another giveaway is the shape of the point of the bust which is more rounded in the genuine item.

Archived