• Created
  • Last Reply
A rare Celtic fragment?

ht8k0w.jpg

fknvrk.jpg

St, Paul's Halfpenny Conder

2s76rmf.jpg

2ijqbo1.jpg

Nice specimens 'NumisMattic2200'. I especially love the St. Paul's Halfpenny Conder. The detailing is incredible. Thanks for sharing.

~Daniel

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple more rare specimens that I picked up in the last couple months. The first is a 5 Line Dinar from the SERBIAN EMPIRE dating 1346-1355 AD under Tsar: Stefan Uros IV~Dusan. The obverse show five lines of Cyrillic legend: 'STEFAN IN CHRIST OUR LORD PIOUS TSAR'. This is an earlier imperial issue that is much rarer than some of the other issues during his reign. The second is a 5 Pennia from FINLAND (CIVIL WAR) dated 1918. This was issued by the 'Finnish Workers Movement' during the brief civil war in Finland.

SerbianEmpire5LineDinar1346-1355AD.jpg

SERBIAN EMPIRE~AR 5 Line Dinar 1346-1355 AD

FinlandRevolution5Pennia1918.jpg

FINLAND (CIVIL WAR)~5 Pennia 1918

Some may say that Vatican coins were not truly issued for circulation but I think that we can consited them, at least earlier issues, close to. Here is the 1936 5 lire piece with mintage of 40,000

978991.jpg

and a 1957 lira with 30,000 mintage

978994.jpg

I'll throw in a 1929 St. Thomas and Prince 20 centavos, relatively large mintage of 250,000, but not one often found in such a nice state

978995.jpg

Got them all in today's mail, made my evening :ninja:

Some may say that Vatican coins were not truly issued for circulation but I think that we can consited them, at least earlier issues, close to. Here is the 1936 5 lire piece with mintage of 40,000

978991.jpg

so how is it not against Catholic ideology to put the pope on a minted coin?

• 9 months later...

Well - it´s only a question of time if you collect ancients to find unknown or unlisted types.

Last year i showed this one to the guy who is preparing the new standard reference for Roman provincials of the Trajan-Hadrian eras - and he confirmed a new and unknown type:

8924.jpg

Bageis in Lydia, Hadrian, 117-138 AD.,

Æ 15 (15-16 mm / 2,30 g),

Obv.: [AYT] KAI TPAIA - AΔPIANOC , laureate bust of Hadrian facing right, slight drapery on far shoulder.

Rev.: BA-ΓH - NΩN , Zeus (Lydios) standing, l., holding eagle and long sceptre.

unlisted? ; Isegrim database - (cp. BMC 16, 34, 21 Æ 24, magistrate Lukios, different legends) .

:yes:

• 4 weeks later...

Jordanian 1 fils of 1963 -- 3000 minted. Previous mintages were all 150000 and higher; the following mintages before reform in '92 strayed from 5000 to 100000. Not sure why things dropped off so steeply -- it's the roughly the same across all denominations minted that year.

989139.jpg

so how is it not against Catholic ideology to put the pope on a minted coin?

Popes have been featured on medals since at least Renaissance times.

As I understand it, the Pope is considered by Roman Catholic faithful to be God's infallible representative on Earth. Who then would be better to feature on Vatican coins?

Archived