CoinPeople.com

post your rares!!!

ScottO

a thread dedicated to those rare piece you own, CIRCULATION ONLY.

and i guess 1 million or under will do except for countries with low figures already

i'll start with some UK bits

962973.jpg

650,500 mintage england commonwealth games £2

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view.aspx?id=962973

971001.jpg

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view.aspx?id=971001

R9 rated 1909 penny, very very few of these discovered due to wear (10 or so i think discovered)... the info about what the differance and is is shown ton the omni link.

7001 to 12000 estimated mintage

962345.jpg

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view.aspx?id=962345

1858 small date farthing, MISSED BY PECK, estimated to be severeal hundred of these floating about, all the info is in the omni link

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice coins 'ScottO'. Here are a few of my rarer specimens:

Armavir_5_Ruble_1918.jpg

Armavir-5 Ruble 1918

Bosnia (Banate)- AR Dinar 1322-1353 AD

Moldavia & Wallachia- 1 Para/3 Dengi 1772 (Large Crown)

Moldavia & Wallachia- 2 Para/3 Kopek 1773

Here are three more.

Chios_AV_Zecchino_1415_1436_AD.jpg

Chios- AV Zecchino 1415-1436 AD

Rhodes_AR_Gigliato_1396_1421_AD.jpg

Rhodes- AR Gigliato 1396-1421 AD

Greece__State__5_Lepta_1828.jpg

Greece 5 Lepta 1828

A few from my collection:

Russia Yefimok 1655

http://avscoins.com/Collection/viewlarge.p...1917)&file=[cRUS-2]Yefimok-1655.jpg

Russia Rouble 1741

http://avscoins.com/Collection/viewlarge.p...1917)&file=[cRUS-51]Ioann-Rouble-1741.jpg

Russia Rouble 1912 Alexander III monument

http://avscoins.com/Collection/viewlarge.p...1917)&file=[cRUS-56]Rouble-1912-Alexander%20III%20monument.jpg

Mozambique "M" c/m on German East Africa 20 Heller 1916

http://avscoins.com/Collection/showcoin.ph...&id=cMOZ-60

Reunion 50 Centimes 1896

http://avscoins.com/Collection/viewlarge.p...union&file=[cREU-29]Reunion-50c-1896-MS.jpg

This Meiji 6 (1873) bronze Japanese 2 sen (Y#18.1) has a reported mintage of nearly 4-million, but it's much scarcer than that would imply. In almost a decade of searching, this was only the second genuine one (verified by NGC) I've seen, and I know of at least two other collectors of Meiji coinage who still have that hole in their 2 sen collections.

Here's a link to the obverse, since the forum software says its a "dynamic" image, and won't display it: (It's en route back from NGC, and I'll edit this post to display my own pictures when it arrives.)

http://i.ebayimg.com/09/!BQS83ZQ!W...bF!~~_2.JPG

The reverse: 3933_2.JPG

Hard to pin down mintage numbers from some series ... but here are the rarer business strikes I have (and they do have published mintage figures). Since we are only allowed 8 images per post, I will break it down into two posts:

USA:

1877 indian cent mintage > 800,000 but in reality less than 200,000 according to Rick Snow -- the key date of this series

USA_Indian_Cent_1877_obv.jpg

USA_Indian_Cent_1877_rev.jpg

1883 Hawaiian quarter mintage approx. 500,000 (rare in this grade)

Hawaii_1883_25_cents_obv2.jpg

Hawaii_1883_25_cents_rev_0300.jpg

RUSSIA:

1901-AR 50 kopecks mintage for 1901, both MM together = 412,020 (AR mintmaster is very rare!)

Russia_50_Kopeek_1901_AR_obv.sized.jpg

Russia_50_Kopeek_1901_AR_edge.sized.jpg

Russia_50_Kopeek_1901_AR_rev.sized.jpg

More...

(the rest):

1902 50 kopecks mintage 36,009

50_Kopek_1902_AP_obv.jpg

50_Kopek_1902_AP_rev.jpg

1908 50 kopecks mintage 40,009, rare in higher grades

RUSSIA_50_Kopeks_1908_ex_GornyMosch_obv.jpg

RUSSIA_50_Kopeks_1908_ex_GornyMosch_rev.jpg

1910 50 kopecks mintage 150,009 (very rare in this high grade)

Russia_50_Kopeek_1910-EB.jpg

1911 50 kopecks mintage 1,000,011 (rare in this high grade)

RUSSIA_50_Kopeks_1911_obv_small.jpg

RUSSIA_50_Kopeks_1911_rev_small.jpg

186810centspattern.jpg

The devasting social and economic crises initiated by the Civil War were consequential long after the conclusion of hostilities in 1865. One such consequence was inflation and the erosion in the value of the dollar, especially the newly released Federal paper money, ie the Legal Tender notes. But minor coinage disappeared because of hoarding also, necessitating the Treasury to print small pieces of paper money called Fractional Currency which supplanted coins during this time. The US mint looked at viable alternatives to minting lower value, ie 3¢, 5¢ and 10¢ in metals other than silver. The 3¢ piece was minted in a new cupro-nickel composition from 1865, whilst the 5¢ was minted in cupro-nickel from 1866 and was positioned to replace the previous Half Dime which was a silver coin. The next denomination in the scenario was the 10¢ coin. This denomination was prepared in copper, and cupro-nickel patterns beginning in 1868, using James Longacre's Large Cent hubs from the 1857 issue of Large Cents. Some curious pieces were prepared with the 1868 date, but everything else common to the Large Cent, including the denomination. Approximately two dozen each were prepared with "Ten Cents" on the reverse, in copper, and cupro-nickel. This particular piece is a toned cupro-nickel that is PF-62 as graded by PCGS. I have been fascinated with these unusual patterns, the size of them, the metal composition, the denomination, but most importantly the connection with the previously issued Large Cents of 1855-1857 since I was a kid and read about them in a coin magazine.

'Tay, circulation, and quite a bit pricier too boot.

1795cent400.jpg

A call late in the evening, whilst I was out of town at an airport, brought my attentions to this lovely in AU-55, this is the very scarce lettered edge variety cent that only 37.000 examples were minted during 1795. The edge of this particular cent was lettered using collars, and had "One Hundred For A Dollar" incused into the edge. Problems with the production of the collars and their shattering with frequency meant that the lettered edge varieties were a shortlived issue, to be replaced that year by a plain edge coin. This piece is PCGS AU-55, and is subject to being sold soon, need the funds for stuff I am more interested in.

One of my rarest, this has only four known examples:

davidii2nd4d.jpg

Scotland, David II(1329-1371) AR Groat or fourpence

In 1968 only one was known, three others have turned up since then including this example. What makes it scarce is the seven arcs in the tressure around the monarchs image, regularly there were six arcs in the tressure.

Only a few dozen of these Queen Mary of Scotland pennies are known:

marys5440.jpg

Pennies in 90 percent bronze and 10 percent silver were the first of very few coins struck in Scotland bearing a portrait of Mary, this as an infant. This particular coin is from the first coinage with the portrait of Mary with an arched crown, a particularly rare coin, struck in small quantities, and one of the few with Mary crowned on a coin. The legend on the front of the coin is + MARIA D G R SCOTORVM whilst the reverse is OPIDVM EDNBVR. The diminutive size of these pennies no doubt contributes to their scarcity, they rarely turn up even in metal detector finds because of their low signal value on detectors.

Lovely coins :ninja: .

The lowest number of mintage for coins meant for circulation, the ones I have are:

PCGS MS64 Peru, 1983, 5 Sol, Mintage of 650.

PCGS MS66 Peru, 1985, 5 Intis, Mintage of 3,972.

I'll upload pictures if I get time to take some.

Beautiful coins folks. Here's one of mine from the homefront. This is a Seated Liberty Dime dated 1844. * 72500 minted *

USA_1_Dime__Seated_Liberty__1844.jpg

USA 1 Dime (Seated Liberty) 1844

952717.jpg

Scottish Charles II (1649-1685) Scottish copper Turner or Bodle (twopence) 1663, first scottish coin issued for Charles II. 19mm.

From the:

HANDBOOK OF THE COINS OF GREAT BRITAIN.

Page 206 Copper 207, Turner Ist issue Obv. CAR.D.G.SCOT.ANG.FRA.ET.HIB.R;m.m. cross of five pellets. Crown above C.R.; on r., mark of value II (=2d). Rev.NEMO.ME.IMPVNE.LACESSET.thistle with leaves, not crowned AE.8 wt 40.8 The II may be for the current value of the coin or may be for "secundus"

A quart of the best ale or beer by 'measure sealed' cost 1d in 1625. So for that turner/bodle or half groat you could have had about 4 pints of beer in 1663.

The latin NEMO.ME.IMPVNE.LACESSET stands for 'Dunna mess wit me or y'll git a Glasgy kiss', or in english 'No one shall hurt me with impunity'

"Numismatically some of the most significant events in Scottish coinage occurred during the tenure of this reign (Charles II). For the first time significant numbers of milled coins were issued, beginning in 1663 with the minting of the bodle or Scottish twopence coin. These first examples were undated, however subsequent issues were dated from 1677-1679 with a design change" From this SITE

952717.jpg

Scottish Charles II (1649-1685) Scottish copper Turner or Bodle (twopence) 1663, first scottish coin issued for Charles II. 19mm.

From the:

HANDBOOK OF THE COINS OF GREAT BRITAIN.

Page 206 Copper 207, Turner Ist issue Obv. CAR.D.G.SCOT.ANG.FRA.ET.HIB.R;m.m. cross of five pellets. Crown above C.R.; on r., mark of value II (=2d). Rev.NEMO.ME.IMPVNE.LACESSET.thistle with leaves, not crowned AE.8 wt 40.8 The II may be for the current value of the coin or may be for "secundus"

A quart of the best ale or beer by 'measure sealed' cost 1d in 1625. So for that turner/bodle or half groat you could have had about 4 pints of beer in 1663.

The latin NEMO.ME.IMPVNE.LACESSET stands for 'Dunna mess wit me or y'll git a Glasgy kiss', or in english 'No one shall hurt me with impunity'

"Numismatically some of the most significant events in Scottish coinage occurred during the tenure of this reign (Charles II). For the first time significant numbers of milled coins were issued, beginning in 1663 with the minting of the bodle or Scottish twopence coin. These first examples were undated, however subsequent issues were dated from 1677-1679 with a design change" From this SITE

Which is better than I have done, I have several bodles from Chuck II that I haven't bothered to image up yet and place on said linked site. They tend to get overlooked when you come across stuff like other acquisitions on there.

Much be pretty rare as I have only seen one ever offered for sale. And I bought it...

1666-1.jpg

1666-2.jpg

1666 Netherlands Gold Ducat

NGC XF45

I also have an 1849 Netherlands Gold Ducat (mintage 14000) that slabbed ANACS MS63 that I should really photograph one day...

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my latest aquisition that I got for $80 on Ebay. This is a 3 Ruble (Type I) coin from Armavir. These are quite hard to find in any denomination or any grade.

Armavir3RubleType11918.jpg

ARMAVIR (Municipal) 3 Ruble <Type I> 1918

Beautiful coin!

Much be pretty rare as I have only seen one ever offered for sale. And I bought it...

1666-1.jpg

1666-2.jpg

1666 Netherlands Gold Ducat

NGC XF45

I also have an 1849 Netherlands Gold Ducat (mintage 14000) that slabbed ANACS MS63 that I should really photograph one day...

Archived