CoinPeople.com

Grandpa's Collection.... Advise Please :)

mclayton1190

Hi Folks

My name is Michael Clayton from Drumbo Ontario.

Recently I inherited my late grandfathers Coin Collection. Mostly all Canadian, with some german.

I scanned in the 1dollar 50cents 25cents 10cents 5 cents and so far one page of pennies,He still has tonnes more.

im looking for advise on how to handle this collection, should i send some away for grading?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

1dollarfront1.jpg

1dollarrear1.jpg

21dollarfront2.jpg

21dollarrear2.jpg

31dollarfront3.jpg

31dollarrear3.jpg

41dollarfront4.jpg

41dollarrear4.jpg

Hello Michael,

Welcome to coinpeople.com. I am not very familiar with Canadian coins but I'd assume most of those are common coins, worth about 50 cents more than face value on average. The set seems complete and is very impressive.

Hopefully someone else can give you better answers than me. Thanks for sharing your new collection!

Welcome.

Yours is actually a very common situation - an inherited collection - what should I do? You ask specifically for advise on how to 'handle this collection'.

First, let me say that I hope that you do not sell it - I hope that you keep it and build on it an become a collector yourself!

So far it looks like a wonderful collection that was well organized and focussed. How to handle it? Well, it depends on what you mean of course. You don't want to do anything to decrease the value of the coins - no cleaning no handling with your hands etc. Leave them as they are until you learn more about collecting coins. It looks like you are on your way to cataloging it so the next step would be a guide book or two. Learn what you have and what condition the coins are in. Then comes the value. What they sell for, if you wanted to buy them, vs what you can sell them for. A dealer will offer you less than if you sell them yourself on ebay or somewhere similar - but that is not a simple task. Go slowly - establish and stay in a comfort zone.

I can see by just looking at your scans that you have lots of silver and lots of older issues. There is definitely some worth there - not necessarily a fortune but there looks like a lot of nice stuff.

I took a quick scan through and most are pretty common dates and/or low grades. The 1885 25c piece is the only one with a book value of over $50 or so. For the most part, Canadian silver from 1950 onward is basically worth melt value (could probably get around 8x face value for it) unless it is in unusually good condition. For 1960-1968 silver, unless it is in gem/near gem uncirculated condition, again it's still worth just melt value as many of these coins were plucked from circulation when the RCM made the change to all nickel coins in the late 1960's.

Hi Mike. I have replied on another site. Now you have posted a 51 Hi Relief 5 cents. Hold all, learn all, add to all, and pass them down. As I said on another site....I will help if you need it. I am in Trenton Ontario. Take a step back sir. There are many that will not be so shall we say truthful. Your coins are worth more than you think, but less than you dream. You are bouncing around looking for help. It is here, but slow down please. Regards Mike Marshall

Hi Mike. I have replied on another site. Now you have posted a 51 Hi Relief 5 cents.

Good catch, I didn't see that one originally, had to reload the page. If it really is the high relief version (it's worth buying the newest Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins to verify it) it could be worth a considerable amount as it appears to be in quite good condition.

Good catch, I didn't see that one originally, had to reload the page. If it really is the high relief version (it's worth buying the newest Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins to verify it) it could be worth a considerable amount as it appears to be in quite good condition.

No doubt, it is a Hi relief f/vf scratched.....There are some basic security issues being created etc in the exuberance being shown. Hence my "slow down" attitude.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Nice collection. I'm with the "keep it" group. The 2x2's are a nice way to keep the coins and have easy access for viewing/study. Enjoy this great legacy and maybe in years to come you'll be an avid collector yourself.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi I live in Nova Scotia, a small Province on the East Coast of Canada. In my quick scan of your coins, I noticed you have quite a few Silver pieces. Silver coins 1967 & before are 80 % silver in 1968 they went down to 60% Silver & in 1969 they stopped making silver circulation coinage. As someone has previously mentioned many of your coins are low quality, but that doesn't take away their value as a piece of silver. At this time Silver dollars in the good range are just worth melt. According to my local coin Dealers -Citadel Coins in Halifax & The New Penny in Dartmouth. 100 Silver dollars contain 60 ounces of Silver. Because our coinage was done based on a system of weight, 100pieces of 50 cent silver coins contain 30 ounces of Silver, this is true of Quarters & dimes as well. 4 quarters contain the same amount of silver as a 1 dollar coin...10 dimes same weight as a dollar .

You have some value there, but if you're going to sell, going to a dealer even a reputable one will not give you the value you would get if you sell them on e-bay or at a coin fair etc. Also remember where a dealer will value your coins as silver based on the spot price of silver, you can realise a bigger profit if you sell them because there is no need to assay the coins as they are a standard recognised weight. you mark them up a percentage above spot.

Have you ever heard of the Canadian Coin News ?

They have a section called 'Trends' where they have all Canadian Coinage valued as per grade, it is a bi-weekly publication, & can be found in most Canadian Coin shops for $2.50 to $3.50 Canadian. you can also Google them, to get you a copy mailed to you if your in the States or in an area of Canada without a local Coin dealer.

You've got a nice little collection..why not add to it or upgrade it. Its like saving money for a rainy day in the future & its IMo interesting as well.

• 2 months later...

What a magnificent heritage. I think you are really lucky to have something like this to remind you of your grandfather.

I can just assure you that I started reading about Canadian coins during the last few months, and I find them so fascinating. And when one learns more about the history, the designs, the varieties - it is like a new world opening. I can strongly advise you to keep this wonderful collection. Read as much as you can about the beautiful coins, especially the silver ones. Then, at a later stage you can make decisions about selling some of them, and about buying new (even better) ones to add with that money you got. You will never be sorry you kept this collection...

Never consider selling any of these for melting. It's like chopping to pieces a beautiful old chair to get some firewood!

I am seeing forward hearing about your collecting in future! I wish you the same enjoyment collecting coins that your grandfather experienced.

• 5 months later...

That's a great looking coin set and you grandfather must have been an avid collector and maybe you will become one to. When you look at them they should bring you fond memories of him.

:ninja:

Sorry, I hate to re-open this thread after 2 years but i just joined.

I agree,,this collection just drips that it was put together by an avid collector. I can tell the hours and work he put into it. I hope you kept them, and learn to build on it.

When it comes to Canadian silver dollars, 10 = 1 dollar coins contain 6 ounces of silver. Since silver has been up in the $26- $29 dollar per ounce range, even worn silver dollars have bullion value. Also 50 cent pieces are half the weight so 10 of them would be equal to 3 ounces of pure silver bullion.

I am with the others who' said you should hold on to them, get yourself a book or 2 on the subject of Canadian coins & go through your entire collection cafefully. There could be other treasures in there. Enjoy.

Archived