CoinPeople.com

Anyone like French coins?

Ætheling

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view.aspx?id=897071

Strange. They are from my Omnicoin and should post OK

It seems that you did not have the enlarged version active:

897071.jpg

If your original pictures of the coin are 300x300 or greater, you could reload them by editing your coin and then it would be seen even better.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view.aspx?id=897071

Strange. They are from my Omnicoin and should post OK

That works better.

Firstly, i'm not so sure that it is a coin per se. An octagonal bronze without any form of legend or scripting doesn't fit for me.

Just a bit of a wild guess (nothing ventured, nothing gained), but it could be what the French call a `mereaux'. Basically a metal tab depicting proof of right of entry / acting as an entry ticket'. These items were manufactured in mediaeval times for church use amongst other things. A bit like evidence of a right to take ones place at the pew in a church, or the right to gain entry past the walls of the town or across a bridge or such like. Not quite as limited in concept as a token with a monetary value but similar to a `communion token' when the `mereaux' is church related. I'm at the limit of my understanding of these things and could be a million miles off, but that is my best hunch as to its raison d'etre.

As to which country it might be from, well again I could be a million miles off but my guess is possibly Lorraine or that region. I haven't a clue beyond that, but i'll ask around to see if anyone has the appropriate references. :ninja:

Ian

Thanks! Food for thought. This 'coin' has nagged at me since I obtained it (Among a group of uncleaned Roman would you believe!) and reference to the excellent Indian site - http://www.med.unc.edu/~nupam/common1.html - failed to shed any light, although a number of people have suggested Indian. Reference to the British Museum last year has resulted in silence! Any information truly welcome!! :ninja:

Any idea as to where your group of uncleaned roman coins originated? or the seller?

Ian

Great. Here goes the newsgroup, the Scots have arrived. Next thing they will take over. And there goes our newsgroup :ninja:

Anyway, welcome aboard Ian, nice to have you here. ;)

Anyway, welcome aboard Ian, nice to have you here.  ;)

You may sat that now - just wait till you get to know the guy. He'll keep you up all hours of the night digging through books searching for information :ninja:

And every time he answers a question for ya - he ASKS you three more !!

Where ya been Ian - I missed ya pal ;)

Great.  Here goes the newsgroup, the Scots have arrived.  Next thing they will take over.  And there goes our newsgroup  :ninja:

Anyway, welcome aboard Ian, nice to have you here.  ;)

I stand at the vanguard of the invasion. Give up now. All your coins be ours! ;)

You may sat that now - just wait till you get to know the guy. He'll keep you up all hours of the night digging through books searching for information  :ninja:

And every time he answers a question for ya - he ASKS you three more !!

Where ya been Ian - I missed ya pal  ;)

Heheheheh . I've been busy doing nuddin. Was working away for a spell there but back at home (for now anyway).

Anyway, I usually only ask one question (or maybe two). It's only fair after all ;)

Got any new french coins that i've missed seeing?

I'm still getting deeper and deeper into jetons. I don't know if its my love of history that's leading me more into jetons or my ever developing love of jetons that is leading me more into history, but either way i'm sure learning. I'll post a thing concerning two rather historical jetons (in the UK, US and French context) later.

cheers,

Ian

Archived