CoinPeople.com

Anyone like French coins?

Ætheling

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll have to get back to you on that one. I need to go to the bank and see what I have.  Did they make those in a 20 fr.?

The 1848-1849 angel with writing on the tablet were only made in 20 Francs

All the other years of the 20 francs angels have no writing on the tablet

The 1848-1849 angel with writing on the tablet were only made in 20 Francs

All the other years of the 20 francs angels have no writing on the tablet

I have the 1896 A angel , and it has no writing on it. I guess I would consider it a type.

Well not many minted . In 1848 ..1543, and in 1849...1303. Well I guess Im one short of a type set. ;) I suppose their hard to find , Huh? :ninja:

The legend of the Lucky Angel

The magnificent “Guardian Angel” design on the obverse was originally created during the French Revolution by Augustine Dupré. In 1871, the design was resurrected by the Third Republic for the French gold 20-franc coin.

Almost from the beginning, gold Angels were regarded as lucky charms. Their legend began during the Reign of Terror in the mid-1790s, when the coin’s designer, Augustus Dupré, claimed to have been saved from the guillotine by the lucky Angel coin in his pocket.

French pilots in World War I rarely took flight without a gold Angel coin in their kit, believing it would protect them from the Red Baron and his aces. During World War II, the chief of Hitler’s Luftwaffe, Hermann Goering, became obsessed with these French Angel coins. Confiscating all he could find, he presented them to ace German fighter pilots as rewards for every fifth Allied plane shot down.

I have the 1896 A angel , and it has no writing on it. I guess  I would consider it a type.

Well not many minted . In 1848 ..1543, and in 1849...1303. Well I guess Im one short of a type set. ;) I suppose their hard to find , Huh?  :ninja:

Every month or so there is one on ebay that passes by

mostly lower XF range

price around 100 euro

There are other 20 francs that are considered in a type set like the Louis XVIII

marked R minted in London in exile 1815 ( do not have this one )

The Napoleon 1815 when he came back from exile for 100 days ( do not have that one either )

Also on the one hand emperor An 13 and an 14 and on the other hand emperor

1806-1807 I have the 1806

Okay i'd have to admit it i'm really beginning to take to these French coins like you wouldn't believe. Not so much the modern ones but all things Louis XVI.

(snip)

British is not the way forward guys... recant whilst you still can :ninja:

I gave up collecting Brit coins in favour of French about eight years ago. For me it all started with collecting the copper coinage of the revolution and the later Napoleon III 5 and 10 centimes coins. That developed into collecting the silver 5 francs and fractions...then ecu's...then testons and the silver francs of Henri III and IV...then petit deniers, blancs and the occasional gold ecu here and there...then (lord save my soul) I started collecting french silver jetons!! Now I even collect the copper ones too. I've even found a few bimetallic jetons from the mid 1500's! It's an entire sub universe. It's the `over there' side of the dark side, but if you look in to it the chances are that you'll never look back.

Ian

Now here's a thought! If more people changed to collection French coins, there would be a beautiful drop in the price of the British ones! ;)

P.S.

Still no-one to enlighten me as to thew origin of the coin in my avatar??? :ninja:

Now here's a thought! If more people changed to collection French coins, there would be a beautiful drop in the price of the British ones! ;)

Yeah - but it's driving UP the prices of my French coins ;)

You don't want to collect those ugly French coins - go buy those Beautiful British coins. They're nice :ninja:

Still no-one to enlighten me as to thew origin of the coin in my avatar??? :ninja:

Isn't the phrase `nil desperandum, nil illigitimi carborundum'? :-)

I think your coin hails from one of the Indian Princely States circa 1650's, but I haven't checked it out. Just going from a vague memory. Have you got a scan of both sides?

Ian

Here

is the coin in question. No help. I did make enquiries about India- with no result!

The quote is RAF "soldaten spreche" and well known in those circles! ;)

That link of yours produces a `thumbnail' image which in turn is as useless as a one legged man in a butt kicking competition when it comes to trying to see any detail :lol:

Do you know those old psychology tests where you are presented with some cards with ink splotches on them and you are asked for what you see (or think you see)? :ninja: Well, to me it looks like a naked man with a club trying to catch his next meal. A bit reminiscent of Glasgow ...........

Give me some clues to work with. ;)

Ian

Archived