CoinPeople.com

the Queen Victoria Thread

ScottO

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

An 1887 proof Vicki crown. She's in an NGC PF66 plastic dress. While not a very popular rendering of the Queen and her crown, in this proof striking one can see and appreciate all the skill of the engravers' designs to the smallest detail.

1887_Jubilee_Crown_UBS_Auction_74_lot_448.jpg

Thats a beauty Marv, thanks for sharing! :ninja:

It's interesting to me that the Jubilee crowns in proof don't seem to bring the money that the Old Head proofs do in similar conditions. I attribute that to the fact that the Jubilee design isn't as popular. But in fact in proof it seems much scarcer than the Old Head although the mintages are not that dissimilar, with the Old Head emission a few hundred more than the Jubilee. Perhaps more people kept the "better" designed Old Head and spent their Jubilee sets?

Any of the Brits care to verify or correct me?

Thanks.

For me the Wyon dies produced the best of the British coins and medals, eg:

med19.jpg

Crimean War 1854-56 campaign medal, designed by Benjamin Wyon, 1854 AD.,

Silver Medal (36 mm / 31,11 g),

Obv.: VICTORIA REGINA / 1854 / B WYON SC , diademed head of Queen Victoria I left.

Rev.: CRIMEA / B WYON SC. , winged figure of Victory crowning a Roman soldier, who is holding a shield in his left hand and a sword in his right, with a laurel wreath. The word ‘CRIMEA’ can bee seen to the left while the designer’s name is visible in tiny letters to the lower right.

Edge: unnamed as initially issued,

Instituted 15th December 1854 for award to British (and some of the French forces) that took part in the campaign against the Russians on the Crimean peninsular and the surrounding waters.

Designed by Benjamin Wyon

:ninja:

• 2 months later...
I attribute that to the fact that the Jubilee design isn't as popular.

Well, to go a few posts up, I'd take the 1897 crown over the 1887 any day of the week. The nice grey toning also helps.

Well, to go a few posts up, I'd take the 1897 crown over the 1887 any day of the week. The nice grey toning also helps.

Does that mean you prefer the obverse design of the old head crown over the obverse design of the jubilee crown, or that you prefer the pictured 1897 well circulated crown in this thread over the beautifully toned 1887 proof crown in this thread?

Marv

• 2 weeks later...

The gothic crown sets the standard though Una and the lion is pretty sexy too! (Thats Una not the lion in case you were wondering!) Alas Una is a mite too expensive for me... :ninja:

The Gothic Crown - The most Beautiful Coin In The World!

I have also discovered some intresting Jersey fractionals 1/12th of a shilling, 1/13th, 1/24, 1/26 , 1/52.... that I need to post at some point. I like rthe portrait. Good detail and relief!

img003.jpg

Archived