CoinPeople.com

the Queen Victoria Thread

ScottO

wasn't insulting, i was going off what book said, EF £7 is all it is, and i live in the UK and they pop up often, and in average grade then yes its only scrap value in those grades, and i wasnt comparing it to other USA coins, i was comparing to UK coins. the first shilling valued at less then £7 is 1928 in this book, i wasnt insulting the coin, i'm just dissapointed by its valuation in general, because its a nice piece.

No offence taken Scott , like i say i also live in the UK , ive been in the US 2 years now , silver is silver no matter how you slice it or date it.Coins however are a different matter as you know.

I wouldnt be overly disappointed to sell that one for $11/7 quid considering its weight and it is after all only a shilling.What is worth doing is looking at the US ebay site , this coin has BIN prices of between 30 -50 dollars and up in EF.

Consider the Franklin half dollar , a much under valued series and long has been , i hoarded those for years and its only now collectors are actively seeking them out.I expect that trend to continue , any silver coin is worth keeping is the bottem line i believe.Sell at a profit by all means but id rather have silver and gold as a retirement plan than dollars..or pounds for that matter.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

true, i aproach things differantly, its nice to have for that reason, if its in a group of scrap silver the only problem i have is little leeway if you pay more and hope.

picked up my own share of silver for melt or even below though, i love that, i prefer mixed bulk, found some gems in them, i invest in anything really, rather then just the metal themselves, afterall a scarce coin is still worth money no matter the metal.

yours is indeed a nice example though, bit of toning, good colouration, just wish they wern't valued so low compared to the others :ninja: but as you say, there is profit still.

speaking of insanly cheap victorian silver

got this a few months back listed as 1898 or 1899 surprised no one clocked this, i got this for £4. thats basically melt value and YH half crowns are quite expensive, was expecting 1883 instead got

973114.jpg

1882, halfcrown 808k mintage rather then the 2million+ 1883, was pleased ;) demand for halfcrowns has gone up with the silver price of course ;)

976115.jpg

bulk buy from a couple of months back. great portrait, like the gothic one but a bit more basic

true, i aproach things differantly, its nice to have for that reason, if its in a group of scrap silver the only problem i have is little leeway if you pay more and hope.

picked up my own share of silver for melt or even below though, i love that, i prefer mixed bulk, found some gems in them, i invest in anything really, rather then just the metal themselves, afterall a scarce coin is still worth money no matter the metal.

yours is indeed a nice example though, bit of toning, good colouration, just wish they wern't valued so low compared to the others :ninja: but as you say, there is profit still.

speaking of insanly cheap victorian silver

got this a few months back listed as 1898 or 1899 surprised no one clocked this, i got this for £4. thats basically melt value and YH half crowns are quite expensive, was expecting 1883 instead got

973114.jpg

1882, halfcrown 808k mintage rather then the 2million+ 1883, was pleased ;) demand for halfcrowns has gone up with the silver price of course ;)

976115.jpg

bulk buy from a couple of months back. great portrait, like the gothic one but a bit more basic

Sweet ..nice coins Scott , ive made quite a tidy profit flogging pre 1921 UK coinage on the US ebay , peeps are crazy for silver right now.Its worth looking into mate.

Oddly ive noticed other sellers selling pre 47 UK as silver , which it isnt , not pure anyway.Its about 50% ? Ive even seen UK cn coins pre 1964 go for daft money here , i can only assume a lot of americans think because US coins pre 64 were silver so was the UK's which isnt true.

As far as i knew the UK's silver coins were melted down to pay the US a war debt.I dont think the UK coins have ever reached full potential yet on the collectors market.Itll happen , Americans are the real en masse collectors and it appears they are waking up to it.

• 1 month later...

1858penny.jpg

This is the best of my Victorian pennies, the Victorian pennies, both the pre and post 1860 types are some of my favorite coins.

This is an 1858 penny, the type without WW on the trun.

Who doesn't love Victoria? :ninja:

My favorite half penny.....

1900UKHalfPenny2.jpg

1900UKHalfPenny.jpg

And a $2 Newfoundland gold piece back when Britain still ran the place.....

1888.jpg

Who doesn't love Victoria? :ninja:

My favorite half penny.....

I think it's my favorite now, too -- that's a stunner. I've always thought the late Vickies *looked* like the coins of an empire more than any other. Especially the final bust design.

The younger heads are still very nice, of course. I need to get a better scan of this one:

909585.jpg

Love that dark chocolate coloring!

And this is a favorite of mine despite its condition, just for the sheer monetary audacity of minting a third of a farthing:

977643.jpg

If there was a way to safely remove the green, it'd actually be fairly nice, all things considered.

Very nice coins!

Do the die numbers have much of an affect on rarity and value? And are die numbers unique to Victorian coins? as I can't think of any other reign where die numbers appear on coins, however I may be wrong?

yes die numbers were used in victorian silvers (and rare 1863 pennies and 1862 halfpennys had letters) as for rerity, 1877 without a die number is rare, however there no rareity accosiated with die numbers. a few coins are rare with certain numbers, but 99% of the silver its not added to value

Thats interesting, I would have thought some die numbers are less common than others and therefore rarer.

I was looking back through the topic and noticed you got an 1882 halfcrown a while back and you put the mintage figure down of 808K, was just wondering where you can find the mintage figures as I have a couple of victorian young head halfcrowns and would be interested to find out.

This is the latest halfcrown I managed to pick up for a touch over £25, while the date is smaller than on the other young head halfcrowns I have am I right in thinking this is still the 'large date' version? Also I can't tell if my eyes are going funny or does each number in the date seem to get slightly smaller from left to right?

1849halfcrown.jpg

I also got these two little bargains, £10 for both including postage!

1854penny.jpg

1854 young head penny

1866penny.jpg

And an 1866 bun head penny

VictoriaFarthing.jpg

And finally an 1853 farthing I picked up a couple of weeks ago

I have a 1842 coin although I don't know if it is coin or a medallion as it has no currency on it - I'm trying to get a clear photo of it

On the head side: the young queen Victoria Regina 1846

Tails: (which is ver clear) Thames Tunnel opnened 1842

Looks brass?

here is the photo, not that clear, I really need to get my good camera fixed :ninja: Any one have an Idea what this is?

1842tt.jpg

1842uk3.jpg

here is the photo, not that clear, I really need to get my good camera fixed :ninja: Any one have an Idea what this is?

It is a small commemorative medal, tokens are used in place of coins eg transit tokens.

There is in BHM another medal similar to yours with the same date combination 1842(THAMES TUNNEL/COMMENCED 1824/OPENED 1842) & 1846(VICTORIA REGINA) Br. 25mm by Messrs Allen & Moore BHM#2252, though your one is unlisted. So, though at first I thought your example was a mule, I now think that Victoria must have visited again(she had been there in 1843) and these medals commemorate that second visit. The Queen & Albert visited numerous locations in 1846, though I can find no reference to a second visit to the tunnel. I do not think that Allen & Moore struck your medal, perhaps they did, but I think more likely it was W. J. Taylor but I cannot be sure of that yet, if ever.

Is yours 25mm?

It is a small commemorative medal, tokens are used in place of coins eg transit tokens.

There is in BHM another medal similar to yours with the same date combination 1842(THAMES TUNNEL/COMMENCED 1824/OPENED 1842) & 1846(VICTORIA REGINA) Br. 25mm by Messrs Allen & Moore BHM#2252, though your one is unlisted. So, though at first I thought your example was a mule, I now think that Victoria must have visited again(she had been there in 1843) and these medals commemorate that second visit. The Queen & Albert visited numerous locations in 1846, though I can find no reference to a second visit to the tunnel. I do not think that Allen & Moore struck your medal, perhaps they did, but I think more likely it was W. J. Taylor but I cannot be sure of that yet, if ever.

Is yours 25mm?

I think it's only 22 mm

I think it's only 22 mm

Well it is therefore more likely to be Allen & Moore as they have BHM#2231 22mm Obv. Bare head of Queen Victoria left. VICTORIA REGINA below 1846 Rev. Tom Thumb standing leaning on two books In exergue 15lbs WEIGHT. Br. R.

LINK TO THE TOM THUMB MEDAL REDATED 1850 note: he thinks Br. is for bronze it is for brass AE is bronze.

1850_Tom_Thumb.jpg

So they used the Obv, of BHM#2231, to be absolutely sure it is by Allen & Moore look closely at the neck truncation for a small A & M, your pic is too small for me to see. Unfortunately just because your medal is unlisted does not make it very valuable, but historically it is a great find.

So they used the Obv, of BHM#2231, to be absolutely sure it is by Allen & Moore look closely at the neck truncation for a small A & M, your pic is too small for me to see. Unfortunately just because your medal is unlisted does not make it very valuable, but historically it is a great find.

Yes your right, it's there :ninja:

small_thames_tunnel.jpg

Archived