CoinPeople.com

Third Reich coin

NSDAP42

There are only two official patterns with Hitler portraits that I am aware of. Both are dated 1942 and both have the notation "PROBE" at 6 o'clock on the obverse. You can see that on the illustration in the previous post to the left of the A mint mark. The second pattern is believed to be unique. I would love that the "klippe" version of your example were an original, but I suspect it is not.

Another "pattern" features the Brandenberg gate on the reverse and is struck in gold purporting to be a 100 Reichsmark pattern. It is a fantasy piece.

I otherwise enjoy your posts. I am co-author of the "Medallic Portraits of Adolf Hitler" published by the Token and Medal Society in 1981. As I said, it would be a pleasure to learn that your klippe pattern is an official issue (not to mention the Goetedude who also posts here), but I suspect it is a copy of what was in fact an official pattern.

There are a lot of reasons why a Hitler coin was not issued. He was ever present on postage stamps, but the state paid him a royalty for the use of his portrait. Given the rotten economic conditions, I speculated that he did not want his image on coins (or paper money) until such time as it would have a meaning with a military and economic victory. Who would want their image on a coin that might become worthless or worse if another economic catastrophe would befall the Reich?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While Goetz designed and produced lots of medals, mostly political propaganda, he never designed any coins. He apparently participated in a few coin design competitions, in both the Weimar Republic and Nazi Germany, but that's it. I wrote "basically a medal" because there is a difference indeed between a medal and a piece that follows the specifications of actual coins (and even displays a face value). But if I made a coin design, did not win the competition, and then had my design minted, would that turn it into a coin? If yes, let me know what country that applies to, and I would get rich there quick ...

As for Goetzdude, wasn't it him who wrote the text quoted in #25? A few years ago, that was posted in a different forum. And yes, there had been suggestions in Nazi Germany to use his portrait on coins, but the sources I know all say he did indeed not want that before the final victory. Too bad. :ninja: And too bad for those who would really love to have Hitler coins. Plenty of stamps and tokens with his mug though.

Christian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thanks for all of the kind comments on my 3rd Reich Proofs. I've replaced the pic of the 1937-F 2 Mark with one I think is much better, and here is another from my collection. (the pics look much better if you click to view the full-size images) -Preussen

cu-schiller2.jpg

What else can I say except, Beautiful. Another awesome specimen. Thanks for sharing. :ninja:

;) Absolutely Fantastic coin ! i have no idea ,exist TR proof coin !!

Here , a prototype of 5 Reichsmark (proof) uncut 1942 , i see this coin in the Military Forum , and i see another one (round coin ) , the same pattern in another Military Forum !!!

adolf20coin20b.jpg

adolf20coin20a.jpg

hitler20coin20c.jpg

Hah-hah what is wrong with Adolf's forehead on that coin!.. I wonder what that was all about :ninja:

Your right. Hitler never had his portrait on any of the coins ... Josef Stalin of the USSR was the same way ... It's amazing when you consider how ego-maniacal these leaders were that they didn't have their image on at least one coin during their rule.

Actually, they were selfless in the absolute and objective meaning of the word. They were not in any way "egoists" or they never would have gone into politics in the first place. The egoist is self-sufficient. The selfless leader is the expression of the common will. The Egoist and the Leader are opposite mentalities. This can be hard for us here and now to understand... I suggest two images from film. In the 1930 movie, All Quiet on the Western Front, our viewpoint character, Paul Baumer is in high school, rapt, attentive, eyes bright, as his teacher touts the coming war as the expression of the Highest Spirit of the People. To us, at best, Hegel is something you are assigned to read in translation in a freshman philosophy class, but back then, when Hitler and Stalin were young men, Hegel was more alive in their minds than Quentin Tarrantino or George Lucas. They ate it up. They lived it. World War One and World War Two were the concretizations of those ideas.

The other image -- lest you think that World War One was an aberration -- is from the 1946 film The Stranger (Orson Welles, Loretta Young, Edward G. Robinson). Orson Welles plays an escaped nazi war criminal hiding out in a Connecticut town as a high school history teacher. The boys eat it up, his talk of Frederich the Great, the enlightened flute-playing monarch who created the modern Prussian army... Even after another world war, the people still did not "get" it... Even today, coins with Hitler on them are the stuff of dreams....

In terms of numismatics, in the USA, we used to personify Liberty on our coins.

Now, we honor dead politicians.

If you seek their monument, look around you.

Beautiful coins!!

my first post here ,

early third Reich coin before War ,

5 Reichmark silver made

2 Reichmark silver made

1 Reichmark nickel made without swastika

50 Reichspfennig nickel made RARE only 2 years production in nickel 1938-39 :ninja:

10 Reichspfennig Copper/Aluminium made

5 Reichspfennig Copper/Aluminium made

2 Reichspfennig Copper made

1 Reichspfennig Copper made

Photo003.jpg

Photo004.jpg

• 1 month later...
This "prototype" that you posted - basically a medal - was made by Karl Goetz, I think. The designer who won the contest was Hermann (?) Müller-Erfurt, but I have never seen that design, and I doubt it was ever produced.

The other 'known' example has an alternate image of Hitler on the Obverse, while the Reverse features a large Stahlheim (Steel helmet), with a single 'branch' of olive and oak around it. Also the legend 'Deutches Reich' and '5RM'... Its a pretty cool design..

There were something like 13 Artist's who submitted designs for 2RM and 5RM - this made something in the order of 22 or 23(?) individual designs, all which were modeled in plaster. Of these plasters, a number seem to have made it as far as having die cut and proben prepared (2 at least, possibly more).

As for the Hitlermünzen 'klippe'; I have heard that this particular striking is SUSPECTED of having occurred POST WW2 (there are two I think - and if I remember right, also a ceramic one?? Maybe) - Under the Soviet Occupation, it is 'rumored' that a number of die sets made some 'test strikes' (possibly comprising of the Hitlermünzen and a 10RM Proben amongst others). I have no definitive source to confirm this, though...

Regardless, the Hitlermünzen competition generated some wonderful designs...

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my latest aquisition. This is 50 Reichspfennig (Nickel) 1938 B. It was minted in Vienna, Austria, shortly after the 'Anschluss' of March 13th of that same year. The Nickel issues for this were only struck in 1938 and 1939, and are rare than the aluminum variety. Also, the Vienna coins are rarer than the one minted in Berlin.

germany50reichspfennig1g.jpg

GERMANY (THIRD REICH)~50 Reichspfennig (Nickel) 1938 B

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, firstly a 1937 5RM; if you're not fussed about Mintmark (Mzz), should cost you between 10,00 and 20,00 EUR for EF; any more and you're getting ripped off. The 37A will be around 10,00EUR, while the 37E will be in the 18,00 - 20,00 EUR range. For a premium example, multiply that by about 2.5 times. The Hindenburg Reichsmark coins (J360 1935-1936 (5RM), J366 1936-1939 (2RM) and J367 1936-1939 (5RM)) are a fairly common, reasonable sets to collect; of course like any other series they have their key dates (J366 is 1936J (36E and 39E are pricer too), J357 is 1939G), but none of these coins are hard to find at ALL!

OR are you talking about the 1934F Schiller in PROOF? A regular, EF graded Schiller is around 250,00 to 275,00 EUR; add another 100,00 EUR for an UNC example... The Proof issue however, I have no idea; personally I would not expect much change from 500,00 EUR!

• 2 months later...

Hi. I'm new to collecting Third Reich coins, and I was hoping someone could give me some advice.

I'm looking for the diameters for the following coins, preferably in millimetres:

* 1936-40 1 Reichspfennig - copper

* 1936-40 2 Reichspfennig - copper

* 1936-39 5 Reichspfennig - copper/aluminium

* 1938-39 50 Reichspfennig - nickel

* 1936-39 2 Reichsmark - silver

I would also like to know how much polishing the coins diminishes the value. These are for a personal collection, and I have obtained a few coins from a seller, which have been polished. I am not particularly worried that they are cleaned, but just curious about the significance in price of cleaned vs. non-cleaned Third Reich coins.

reichsmark.bmp

This is the photo of one of the coins I purchased.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
:ninja: Absolutely Fantastic coin ! i have no idea ,exist TR proof coin !!

Here , a prototype of 5 Reichsmark (proof) uncut 1942 , i see this coin in the Military Forum , and i see another one (round coin ) , the same pattern in another Military Forum !!!

adolf20coin20b.jpg

adolf20coin20a.jpg

hitler20coin20c.jpg

Hi NSDAP42: Greetings from India! I have read about the idea of issuing the 5 Mark coin. I am excited to see the real pictures of the coin. Thanks for shaaring.

I live in India and collect German coins and U.S.Coins

Please reply. Sincerely, George

Hello,

Bear with me. I am new to collecting reich coins. I am trying to accumulate a set of silver luther commemoratives, both 2 mark and 5 mark, and have been scanning sites like ebay, luckylukeonline, and MA shops. There seems to be HUGE gaps in pricing site to site. i.e - At MA shops, a 5 mark Luther coin (A) is going for 190,00 EURO, while the same coin, but in slightly better condition, is going for 89,00 EURO, just 2 listings down the page. Lucky luke has them going for around 120.00 USD. And ebay I've seen them go from anywhere between 60.00USD and 300.00 USD.

Can anyone give some in-sight, into realistic values? Is the European market for these coins different than the US or elsewhere, allowing them to run them cheaper? I have heard there are no fakes from the 3rd Reich, but should I be worried about about buying from some of these European sellers at MA shops?

Anyways, thanks for your time, I've learned quite a bit from reading the discussions at this site, and I will try to post some highlights from my collection soon.

Mink

• 2 weeks later...

Archived