CoinPeople.com

Re-photographing 1814

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As do I!! Thats probably why I like your 'numismatic tastes' ;)

And I like yours! ;) And quite a few other folks here although in aggregate the whole gang of you have probably raised the prices of my medals by 20%. :ninja:

1814 Barclay de Tolli, Russia

902434.jpg

23mm - Details - scarce

Bramsen - 1545

Barclay de Tolly was a Russian commander of Scottish descent who served in a number of positions including political. The Wikipedia article gives a good account of his life. There's not many medals or jetons that feature him and they are usually in terrible condition for some reason.

While I list this as under Russia it's a Lauer workshop production so it was really made in Nuremberg.

c. 1814 Alexander I, Russia (German States).

969597.jpg

23mm - Details - probably very scarce.

This is one of those oddities where I suspect a copy of a different volume of Mitchiner would help me do a better job of identifying. The obverse is certainly c. 1814 while the reverse could date sometime in the 1850s. My book that I do have on Nuremberg jetons does mention that all the St. George and the Dragon reverses are scarce or very scarce.

1814 Visit of Czar Alexander I to London, Great Britain.

898700.jpg

43mm - Details - RR

BHM - 849

Bramsen - 1471

d'Essling - 1523

Metternich was having a hard time holding the various countries to their promises while everyone milled around in Paris following Napoleon's first abdication. One of the problem children was Alexander I of Russia who really believed the propaganda you can see above. He honestly thought that he personally had been picked by God to save Europe, defeat Napoleon and incidentally, scoop up Poland as a prize. Metternich and the British felt that the best thing they could do is pack everyone off to Britain and then, in a couple of months, the professional statesmen would convene in Vienna and chop up Europe at their leisure without the interference of kings and emperors on the spot.

Unfortunately for the pros all the monarchs (except the Prince Regent of Britain) showed up in Vienna anyway and nearly came to war several times over the details of chopping Europe up. Probably the only thing that saved them all from Napoleon was that he showed up a couple of months too early. Had he returned in late summer of 1815 several of his former opponents would have been at war with each other, France would still have been ripe for picking and in all likelihood the campaigning season would mostly have ended before they could have put together effective opposition to him. This would have given him the fall and winter to truly organize his army and to drive deeper diplomatic wedges between the former allies. As it was they took the opportunity to back down and mobilize against Napoleon instead of each other.

1814 Frederick Wilhelm III, Prussia.

902437.jpg

24mm - Details - fairly C

Though not listed, as most of these aren't, this Lauer piece almost certainly is c. 1814.

c. 1814 Chambre de Commerce de Bayonne, Great Britain.

897903.jpg

30mm - Details - probably R

The dealer I purchased this from identified it as circa 1814. I question that date for a couple of reasons, the main one being that Louis is called the King of France. In 1814, when his hold on his throne was less certain the legends said King of the French. This may be a subtle distinction to us today but in the politics of the day it was a critical one. I would guess 1817-1818 but do not have any hard evidence to back this up besides the legend.

although in aggregate the whole gang of you have probably raised the prices of my medals by 20%. ;)

Mind we have pushed up the value of the medals you already own by the same amount. With the number & desirability of the ones you have, you are sitting on a gold-mine :ninja:

1814 The Peace of Paris, Great Britain.

901689.jpg

44mm - Details - certainly R, possibly RRR

d'Essling - 1487

This is a mule of the obverse of BHM 841 and the reverse of BHM 831. It isn't listed in British Historical Medals however. All of the listed medals that feature this reverse are RRR.

1814 Peace of Paris, France.

898812.jpg

50mm - Details

Bramsen - 1431

d'Essling - 1483

I really liked the fact that this medal included Louis XVIII in the middle as part of the Peace of Paris. I'm not certain of the relative rarity of this piece, though this is the only one I've ever seen.

1814 Battle of Toulouse, Great Britain.

898486.jpg

41mm - Details - relatively common

BHM - 789

Bramsen - 1384

d'Essling - 1457

Mudie - XXVI

Eimer - 37

This was actually issued about 1820 along with the rest of the series published by Mudie. There is a variant that has a different reverse in a few respects.

1814 Peace of Paris, German States.

970145.jpg

27mm - Details - C, with many variants

Bramsen - 1449

This features Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia. The reverse was used with many different monarchs.

This following variant was engraved by Iohann Iacob Lauer without the date but at about the same time:

1814 Peace of Paris, German States.

899401.jpg

26mm - Details - probably scarce

Bramsen - 1449 var.

1814 Louis XVIII Restored, Great Britain.

901703.jpg

21mm - Details - probably R

I have seen one other of these over the years but that was it. It's not listed in BHM, probably because it functioned both as a medal and as money. The British (read English) public in general was in favor of restoring Louis XVIII to the French throne while the remainder of Europe was indifferent; as long as it wasn't Napoleon!

1814 Le Prince de Wrede, Bavaria.

901701.jpg

32mm - Details - R+

Wrede was a Bavarian field marshal that led the Bavarians under Napoleon. By the time of this jeton Bavaria had switched sides and were fighting against him. Unfortunately for them the Bavarian Army was blocking Napoleon's retreat from the disaster at Leipsig in 1813. Without time for a formal fight Napoleon instead called upon the Imperial Guard and swept them from the field at Hanau.

c. 1814 Alexander I of Russia, German States.

902919.jpg

23mm - Details

As you can tell the Lauer workshop just produced a ton of different pieces with just about anybody as a subject.

c. 1814 Le prince de Blücher, Prussia.

901702.jpg

21mm - Details

This is a great example of a jeton that resulted from muling two dies that were used in listed pieces. In this case the obverse of Bramsen 1503 was matched up with the reverse of Bramsen 1543. You'll see a few other examples particularly of the reverse among my collection.

c. 1814 Alexander I of Russia, German States.

898938.jpg

21mm - Details

More Lauer or Lauer ripoffs from the First Restoration (1814-1815) period. These pics are a major improvement over the previous ones. I must have had way too much coffee when I did those!

1814 Treaty with America, Great Britain.

899115.jpg

46mm - Details - R

BHM - 841

Although not listed in silver this medal "rings", unlike white metal. If it is indeed silver then probably RRR+.

There was very little notice made of the end of the War of 1812 particularly after the disaster at New Orleans that followed the actual signing of the Treaty. A stark example of the speed of communication in those days.

Archived