CoinPeople.com

Re-photographing 1814

1814 Coronation of William I, Netherlands.

899121.jpg

23mm - Details

I know almost nothing about this piece.

After the French troops left the Netherlands in 1813, the newly formed provisional government invited the Prince of Orange to return, which he did on the 30th November 1813. They wanted him to become King but he proclaimed himself "Sovereign Prince" (as he is titled on your medal) and was "honoured" in Amsterdam in 1814. The area he was sovereign over was mainly the northern provinces.

He only became King of the (enlarged) "United Kingdom of the Netherlands" on 16th March 1815. Some parts of, what would later breakaway to become Belgium, did not accept him as King till 1816.

961889.jpg

963801.jpg

964580.jpg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1814 The Peace of Paris, Great Britain.

902781.jpg

25mm - Details - N

BHM - 809

Bramsen - 1445

An odd piece in that Friedrich Wilhelm of Prussia is shown in a portrait more in keeping with the previous century.

Kettle used the image of Friedrich Wilhelm II of Prussia (1786-1797) Which he had copied from a 1796 gold coin and used on some of his other medals previous to your example. Either he was ignorant of the fact that Wilhelm II had died in 1797 and carried on using his image for Wilhelm III or he could not obtain a likeness and assumed the people buying his medals would not know what Wilhelm III looked like either. This is one of mine by Kettle, which you can see is just a copy of the gold coin pictured below it.

954978.jpg

Where he obtain his likeness of Wilhelm II. Dear old Kettle, he might have fooled a lot of people but he cannot fool me!

090318025bz.jpg

LINK

Kettle used the image of Friedrich Wilhelm II of Prussia (1786-1797) Which he had copied from a 1796 gold coin and used on some of his other medals previous to your example. Either he was ignorant of the fact that Wilhelm II had died in 1797 and carried on using his image for Wilhelm III or he could not obtain a likeness and assumed the people buying his medals would not know what Wilhelm III looked like either. This is one of mine by Kettle, which you can see is just a copy of the gold coin pictured below it.

954978.jpg

Where he obtain his likeness of Wilhelm II. Dear old Kettle, he might have fooled a lot of people but he cannot fool me!

090318025bz.jpg

LINK

Yeah it always struck me that it was likely the previous King's likeness. The beauty of the age for an engraver was that by the time your buyers figured out you had probably used an old die you had already gotten their money. :ninja:

1814 Visit of the Allied Sovereigns to England, Great Britain.

899117.jpg

41mm - Details - N

BHM - 854

Mudie - XX

Bramsen - 1474

Throngs of Englishmen and women waited to see the Emperor of Russia and the King of Prussia arrive in England for their visit. People waited for days to get good seats while others spent extravagant amounts to get good seats that overlooked the path they would arrive by. In the end the two of them went incognito and slipped past everyone leaving the bewildered crowds to cheer the bureaucrats who came with them. The visit went downhill from there despite the efforts of the British government and the goodwill of the people. Fredrich Wilhelm was too uninteresting and Alexander showed up apparently determined to offend, and offend he did.

1814 Liverpool Royal Institution - Prize Medal, Great Britain.

899633.jpg

38mm - Details

On this piece I'm not certain whether it is Thomas Wyon Sr or Jr.

On her helmet is the Liver(Ly va) Bird which is holding an olive-branch for the peace of 1814. Here is a LINK for the Live Bird of Liverpool.

1814 Death of the Empress Josephine, France.

899822.jpg

51mm - Details

d'Essling - 2976

There were very few medals made with Josephine as their subject, odd for an Empress. She caught a cold after walking in her rose garden with Alexander I at Malmaison and died shortly after Napoleon's first abdication. This medal dates from that period. Virtually all of her medals date from the time of Napoleon III who honored the memory of his grandmother.

969185.jpg

25mm - Details - R

BHM - 806

This is another medal I hadn't put up on omnicoin yet. It suffers from the problem of the reverse metal being pulled into the obverse bust. In this case there wasn't enough metal to accomplish either side properly.

BHM says this is rare in brass and relatively common in copper. To the contrary I've never seen a copper example and own two in brass. I suspect the internet may be a way for us to adjust the rarity of some pieces.

A much better strike that oddly enough I never put on Omnicoin until this little project:

971228.jpg

25mm - Details - R

BHM - 806

c. 1814 The Peace of Paris, German States.

969260.jpg

21mm - Details

The previous photographs of this were so bad I didn't put it up on omnicoin. Copper examples are much more scarce than brass when collecting Lauer jetons.

1814 Peace and Commerce, France.

969522.jpg

24mm - Details - probably RRR+

d'Essling - 1481 variant

I've never seen another of these dated May of 1814. The actual d'Essling 1481 dates from April 1814 and has the engraver Champlain on the obverse. 1481 is quite rare (see posts 16 and 23 in this thread). This is unlisted and appears to have been also engraved by Champlain (unlisted in Forrer by the way) and features the same reversed 4 of the date as the earlier medal.

1814 Entrée des alliés à Paris, Prussia

898802.jpg

38mm - Details - probably R

Bramsen - 1377

Bramsen says that the engraver of this medal is Pfeuffer. The only Pfeuffer listed in Forrer is about a generation too late for this piece. So either Bramsen is wrong or it was produced by perhaps the father of the Forrer entry. In any case a very busy medal, lead, with a sort of cartoonish approach to it.

The Prussians and Austrians bore the brunt of the final battles against Napoleon in 1813-1814. Partly this was because of their central location in Europe and the correspondingly long distances say the Russians had to trudge. There also was a lot of politics going on with each country trying to figure out what they were going to grab up in the aftermath of defeating the French. For Austria and particularly Prussia defeating Napoleon had become something of an obsession and it took everything the other allies could do to prevent Blucher from finding and stringing Napoleon up from the nearest lamp-post.

Needless to say, I like this medal! :ninja:

1814 Salines de l'Est, France.

898699.jpg

31mm - Details

Bramsen - 1553 - variant

Gadoury Jetons - p. 118

This is a jeton de presence of the Eastern Salt Company. It dates between Napoleon's first abdication and the Hundred Days and they used an earlier die for the reverse, simply adding the 1814 in the exergue. The medals with Louis XVIII in a military coat are a dead giveaway that the medal was probably produced during this period. However the obverse was probably engraved by one of the more royalist leaning engravers in that he is King of France and not King of the French which the earliest pieces from 1814 proclaim. By later in the year he was confident enough to go with the older, less Revolutionary title.

1814 The Duke of Cambridge, Great Britain

"The English Re-enter Hanover"

899113.jpg

41mm - Details - R

BHM - 777

Mudie - XXXI

The Mudie series were struck around 1820 and then restruck in white metal in the 1840s for collectors. The white metal pieces are actually more rare than the copper originals. Mudie employed out of work French engravers to produce a stunning series of medals that are heavily collected.

970237.jpg

41mm - Details - C

BHM - 777

Mudie - XXXI

And the last of the three I've collected:

971406.jpg

41mm - Details - C

BHM - 777

Mudie - XXXI

1814 Paix de Paris, Prussia

902440.jpg

40mm - Details - probably R

Bramsen - 1453

Though this is listed in Bramsen under the Peace of Paris it is in fact commemorating the restoration of Neufchâtel to Frederick Wilhelm III.

1814 Entrée des alliés à Paris, German States.

900118.jpg

38mm - Details

Bramsen - 1374

d'Essling - 1449

Stettner was a Nuremberg engraver and there's no indication who may have commissioned this piece. There are two varieties. There's just a stunning number of medals and jetons dated either May 30 or May 31, 1814.

1814 Vaccinations à Paris, France.

899156.jpg

32mm - Details

Bramsen - 1548

d'Essling - 2165

From my omnicoin entry:

"One of the interesting things about the period is that discoveries such as vaccination were freely given to enemies. Developed in Great Britain the information was given to French authorities. The Latin roughly means 'Health from an unexpected source'. An 1845-1860 restrike."

I have said it before but I am inspired to say it again...I love your numismatic taste...you collection is varied, interesting, and inspiring ;)

Thanks! My wife would say that I just collect anything that appears under my nose. I mentioned "numismatic taste" and got the laugh I expected... :ninja:

1814 (1864) Mort de l'impératrice Joséphine, France.

902298.jpg

24mm - Details - probably C

Bramsen - 1428

I wouldn't normally collect something like this except for a couple of reasons. First, it was listed in Bramsen in the 1814 medals with a tiny note that said it was actually produced during the reign of Napoleon III in 1864. Second, it has Josephine as its subject and those medals are scarce on the ground. I only noticed it in eBay by accident so I really can't speculate as to rarity but it has the look of something that was produced by the ton...

It looks like someone cleaned it with green soap and forgot to rinse.

Archived