CoinPeople.com

Thai coins of Rama IV to Rama VI

NumisMattic2200

I have been quite enjoying researching my recent little Thai acquisitions so I thought I'd make a thread for the little collection of silver and copper coins that start in the 19th Century just after modern minting techniques were used for the first time and end in the early 20th-Century in the reign of King Rama VI. The earlier Thai coins were known as 'bullet money' and were rod-shaped pieces of metal thicker in the middle and bent inwards at the ends.

An example of bullet money.

vq1wki.jpg

http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/siamese_money.html

Here is what appears to be the earliest coin I have which is the same size as a later example of a Fuang, or 1/8 Baht piece.

I found a similar example in worldcoinarchives...

k3vpjc.jpg

http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.ph...39&Lot=1385

My coin. :ninja:

24vr31h.jpg

icv340.jpg

This is a 1/2 Pai or 1/64 Baht from 1874-1882 - I believe undated.

zttea9.jpg

ictu0m.jpg

This is probably the rarest coin of the lot, a Baht of Rama V - unfortunately, cannot find the date (??..)

2q0ogfo.jpg

25ps5s4.jpg

2 Att Year (?)

I have a 1 Att but have not yet re-done the photo for this coin..

Gotta love the die cracks

And another Fuang, undated ???

2u5ao2w.jpg

15810ns.jpg

2ufr3o1.jpg

6z6fqx.jpg

Isn't that the same coin posted in your other thread?

As I said there, the dated ones are from the 20th Century, but there was an earlier undated version.

Ahh...so this is now firmly placed in the 19th C. And yes, it's from an earlier post. My book is of 20th-C coins, so this variety isn't in..

Thanks for the infos mate :ninja:

Yes, it helps...

But, mysterious the Rama V Baht is undated, my book lists values with dates... ?

Can you date the early Fuang? I think it is just an 1851-1868.

Not sure which Fuang you mean...

Krause has both the Rama V Baht and Fuang undated issue as being struck between 1876 and 1900.

The other Fuang is ND (1869)

How accurate these dates are I do not know.

With regards to the two copper coins, I have just discovered the date reads (1249) - does anyone know why!??

According my book, these coins all have a 3-number date, of a different dating system i.e. 122, 123...

Is this year 124 and the 9 isn't a 9???

With regards to the two copper coins, I have just discovered the date reads (1249) - does anyone know why!??

According my book, these coins all have a 3-number date, of a different dating system i.e. 122, 123...

Is this year 124 and the 9 isn't a 9???

It is the Chula-Sakarat (CS) date 1249. This dating scheme was used for a short time, then they switched to the RS system (3-number date) and finally to the Bhuddist Era system (BE) which is based on the number of years since the birth (or death, or when he attained elightenment, I forget which) of the Bhudda.

It is the Chula-Sakarat (CS) date 1249. This dating scheme was used for a short time, then they switched to the RS system (3-number date) and finally to the Bhuddist Era system (BE) which is based on the number of years since the birth (or death, or when he attained elightenment, I forget which) of the Bhudda.

Wow! Very complicated and thanks for the education :ninja:

Archived