CoinPeople.com

Canadian WWII Nickels

Art

Here's a copy of a post from my blog. Thought more folks might get a look at it here and have something to add.

Friday June 26,2009

I have been watching some "war nickels" on ebay. They've been going for what I think are pretty reasonable prices. This got me to thinking about the changes made to US coinage for WWII and wondering about what other countries did during the same period to conserve the metals needed to further the war effort.

US coinage had a number of changes some less obvious than others. The Lincoln cent was changed to zinc-coated steel in 1943. In 1944 through 1946 cartridge cases were used to make the cents. The difference in color from the older cents is mostly evident on uncirculated pieces. In 1947 newly refined metals were returned. The Nickel was changed to a silver alloy for 1942 through 1945. It was composed of copper (56%), silver (35%), and manganese (9%). These nickels are denoted by the large mintmark directly over the dome of Monticello. In 1946 the composition was returned to copper (75%) and nickel (25%). No other US coin denomination underwent changes due to the war effort.

Canada also made changes to their nickels during this timeframe. In 1942 Canada changed their nickel to a metal referred to as "Tombac" which is a form of brass. The coin was also changed to a 12 sided configuration instead of the normal round coin. The 12 sided coin was designed to allow easy differentiation from 1 cent pieces when the coins had tarnished. In 1943 further changes were made. The reverse of the nickel was changed to display a large "V" adopted from Winston Churchill's victory sign. Around the edge of the coin, in place of denticles, the international code for "We Win When We Work Willingly". Denticles were also added to the obverse. This same configuration was used for some of the 1944 nickels. War demands for copper and zinc created yet another change for the nickel in 1944. Some 1944 and all of the 1945 coins were made with plated steel. The steel blanking material was chromium plated to delay rust. Unfortunately the plating needed to be done before the blanks were struck. Because of this the edges ended up with exposed steel and are subject to rust. So we have two types of Canadian nickels for 1944, the tombac and the steel.

What did other countries do? Do you have any information you'd like to share?

The one legacy of WWII on Canadian coinage was that for awhile, until the early 1960's, their 5 cent coins were still 12 sided, it is actually a feature of them that I have always liked because they stick out like a sore thumb when you are looking for older coins in circulation.

Perhaps as an aside, later on when Canada went through lessening the amount of copper used in their cent during the period of 1980-1982, there were actually three different coins with different compositions beginning with the previous, then the reduced in 1981, then in 1982 they started striking the 12 sided cent with a much thinner planchet, but with the 12 sides to make the coin appear as thick at least on the edges as the previous cents. These continued through 1996 or so, then were replaced with the plated coins that were no longer 12 sided again.

Here's a copy of a post from my blog. Thought more folks might get a look at it here and have something to add.

Friday June 26,2009

I have been watching some "war nickels" on ebay. They've been going for what I think are pretty reasonable prices. This got me to thinking about the changes made to US coinage for WWII and wondering about what other countries did during the same period to conserve the metals needed to further the war effort.

US coinage had a number of changes some less obvious than others. The Lincoln cent was changed to zinc-coated steel in 1943. In 1944 through 1946 cartridge cases were used to make the cents. The difference in color from the older cents is mostly evident on uncirculated pieces. In 1947 newly refined metals were returned. The Nickel was changed to a silver alloy for 1942 through 1945. It was composed of copper (56%), silver (35%), and manganese (9%). These nickels are denoted by the large mintmark directly over the dome of Monticello. In 1946 the composition was returned to copper (75%) and nickel (25%). No other US coin denomination underwent changes due to the war effort.

Canada also made changes to their nickels during this timeframe. In 1942 Canada changed their nickel to a metal referred to as "Tombac" which is a form of brass. The coin was also changed to a 12 sided configuration instead of the normal round coin. The 12 sided coin was designed to allow easy differentiation from 1 cent pieces when the coins had tarnished. In 1943 further changes were made. The reverse of the nickel was changed to display a large "V" adopted from Winston Churchill's victory sign. Around the edge of the coin, in place of denticles, the international code for "We Win When We Work Willingly". Denticles were also added to the obverse. This same configuration was used for some of the 1944 nickels. War demands for copper and zinc created yet another change for the nickel in 1944. Some 1944 and all of the 1945 coins were made with plated steel. The steel blanking material was chromium plated to delay rust. Unfortunately the plating needed to be done before the blanks were struck. Because of this the edges ended up with exposed steel and are subject to rust. So we have two types of Canadian nickels for 1944, the tombac and the steel.

What did other countries do? Do you have any information you'd like to share?

here the pic of all nickel , 1942 (nickel) 1942 (tombac) , 1943 (tombac) Victory , 1944 and 1945 (Stell plating of nickel and chromium)

Photo161.jpg

Photo160.jpg

and extra pic of all Nickel with two more commemorative Victory (2005) on the top left circulation coin (nickel)on the right (silver )

Great pics. Thanks for posting them. I went looking for tombac and steel nickel pics but couldn't find anything I could use.

Archived